Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Man a company of gamers for gamers. Who simply steal the best of the genre, polish the shit out of it and release the product. Sign me the fuck up.

futurama-fry.gif
Youre talking about 2001 Blizzard, who went on to make WoW. Whatever happened to that game? Did it do anything? I forget.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It was ridiculous? Diablo was released in '97. How many games/companies do you know that have stayed relatively the same for 25 years? How similar do you think the iMac G3 team is to the people at Apple now? How similar do you think EverQuest is to the one released in '99?

Companies move on, people quit, people die, people get fired, companies get "woke", etc. etc. Did you honestly expect the ENTIRE Blizzard North team to still be working on the same fucking shit for 25 years?

The entire premise of "Blizzard should have experience in ARPGs because of a game they released 25 years ago that many of their employees weren't even alive for!!!" was just ridiculous. Just because the developer name is the same doesn't mean the company is, the employees are, the culture is, the experience, etc. And just because somebody has similar "experience" or has worked at similar companies doesn't mean they're a perfect(or even good) replacement for the person who was there prior. Yes, your company would look for somebody with similar experience and I can guarantee your HR/recruitment department 15 years removed from when you were hired would pay FAR more attention to their gender and ethnicity than their resume.

I'm not "defending" Blizzard. I'm simply stating a reason for why the whole, "THEY SHOULD KNOW!!!" argument doesn't hold a ton of water. Goddamn for as much as you guys bitch about how much this forum has "changed", there's an equal amount of you boomer fucks with literally zero adaptability, recognition, and comprehension of "change" in the world around you.

So you're argument is that Blizzard is adapting, recognizing... and comprehending how to make good games.

Got it. Carry on.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Youre talking about 2001 Blizzard, who went on to make WoW. Whatever happened to that game? Did it do anything? I forget.

Yeah they recycled it and it was the most popular version of the game they had in 20 years. That's how much dick and balls they suck now.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game is way more fun for me than D3 ever was, but it won't last much longer. The fact that there's no infinite grind might be a good thing; I've probably put 100+ hours into the game already.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
Really liking the game.

I've noticed that Lilith is basically Thanos.

Which is to say: moron and idiot (also a jackwad and possibly gay), making reductionist arguments about "who should die" because of "stuff"

The defense posts over her genocide and mania on some other sites are hilariously modern.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's wrong with horses?

You don't feel like something is wrong with their movement? Mainly any kind of turning, slowing down, stopping etc. It feels disjointed. Not smooth at all.

Then you have things like you have to demount to press space up a vertical spot, or across a larger one(that the horse cant leap across) and it puts your horse on CD. Why?

I will even say the 30 second CD if you take too much damage while riding is a bit much. Even daze from wow was better, at least I could remount instantly.

It just feels off, from a company that did so well with WoW ground mounts.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Doubt we will see any sort of XP leveling change until the Lilith Statue competition is concluded for anyone thinking a change could be soon. Haven't heard anything about it being over but haven't really been watching for it either.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Do you not feel like some of that has to do with S1? I know I've reduced my playtime by quite a lot. Because I know S1 is on the way and I've tested most of the stuff I want to test before going ham in S1. A similar thing happens at the end of PoE leagues for most players too.

S1 entirely depends on whether or not renown will carryover. If not I'll likely never play d4 again

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Season 1 can't unfuck the sheer amount of garbage design choices we are seeing. Game is mid as fuck and will remain as such. It's an ok time waster, like d3 was but needs a few fired faggots to fix it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Old Blizzard always gets shit for "not innovating", but lets see.

WOW, fully seamless world (ok partially seamless), fully exposed API to extend functionality of the game in LUA.
Warcraft 3, heroes and RPG elements, map mod, lead to one of the biggest sub genres of gaming
Starcraft 1, fully unique races with completely different playstyles in their meta
Diablo, fully unique, can't think of what this game copied.

Sure they copied tons of stuff from other games, and drew inspiration from others, but they also took risks. To say they didn't isn't right and to compare what they do today with what they did back in the day and "not take risks" is also blatantly false.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The only thing missing from this game is a RMAH so I could fill in the missing legendaries.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
S1 entirely depends on whether or not renown will carryover. If not I'll likely never play d4 again
Interesting. I thought most of the people complaining about renown were people not used to a "real" grind. Note the quotes, what is too much of a grind is completely subjective and you're allowed to say whatever you want is too grindy.

But this is the first I've seen someone who is used to grinding a headhunter in multiple leagues make the same complaint in D4. Perhaps it's not the renown itself but that inherent carrot on stick(or lack thereof) is poorly designed.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The only thing missing from this game is a RMAH so I could fill in the missing legendaries.

Play more eventually legendaries drop like rain.. they have no value. Legendaries aren't legendaries they are nothing more than affix resepticals.

In fact I think people would understand itemization better if legendaries didn't drop at all, they should just he affix drops to be combined with rares with correct stats. I think many new players still haven't picked up on this.

This isn't d2 or d3. The itemization is far different and less complex than you might think at first glance.

Argarth

On the verandah
Skipped through a lot of Mathil's review, but a couple of things stood out.

I've already stopped "looking" for Altars of Lilith. For example, recently standing right next to one after a fight, and only saw it when it highlighted after I turned to move. Now I'm just resigned to ticking them off one day with a map, as he discussed. So what if I leave a few parts of the map undiscovered until a later time?
I'll eventually get around to every nook and cranny, but now it's just a pointless chore that needs to be completed "soonish" so I can forget about it forever. Really dumb idea.

The other one was the ranged mob movement in combat, around 31:02 in the video. That made me laugh, but pretty annoying on my Barb so far.
Leveling a Rend Barb at the moment, and having a blast (not a WW fan), the shouts, and charging around the battlefield. Lots of fun so far, hope it continues to improve.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Interesting. I thought most of the people complaining about renown were people not used to a "real" grind. Note the quotes, what is too much of a grind is completely subjective and you're allowed to say whatever you want is too grindy.

But this is the first I've seen someone who is used to grinding a headhunter in multiple leagues make the same complaint in D4. Perhaps it's not the renown itself but that inherent carrot on stick(or lack thereof) is poorly designed.

It's not because it's a grind.. it's because side quests and running around not fighting shit is gay as fuck and not fun.. you ever collect flags in Assassins Creed back in the day. This is as shitty boring and gay as that x10

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I've been enjoying the game - probably more than I expected at launch, and probably a little less than I hoped now that I'm post-50. Here are some random thoughts:

• The boss fights sure have been a letdown. I remember at least 4-5 from D3 and I literally couldn't tell you one from D4. Apart from the World Boss that is a repeat. None of the mechanics were at all memorable and neither were the enemies.
  • I don't like the Glyph system upgrades. Compared to upgrading gems the powers and such are just a lot more boring. Sure, you gradually get more powerful but it is pretty hard to get too excited about +5 Intelligence and spending XP to get more+5 Intelligence is just not very exciting either.
  • It sucks that you can't save and switch between builds. It does get pretty expensive if you do it in the braindead "reroll all" way and then try and match legenderies to the new build. There is already a lack of diversity and this makes it artificially discourage experimentation.
  • There doesn't seem to be any reason at all to spend time in the open world. I don't get it. The scaling makes it boring and the loot is worse than dungeons. I get that you are supposed to want Renown but it just seems like a chore.
  • Moment to moment gameplay is still fun.
  • Horse is badly implemented. JFC.
  • Still playing with friends and will check out the first season but I can see also taking an extended break. I "get" the game and I got my money's worth and will continue it down the road but I can't really see grinding it out in its current form. The impact doesn't seem worth the effort.
I rolled an 817 focus, damn near perfect stats too. So it at least goes to 817, probably 820.

• 1Like