Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Why does it matter? Both characters end up in the same place anyway.

Why do anything in the end we all die. - Mist

characters GIF

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It better be a little more than "Hey do all that shit again, except this time you unlock cosmetics and seasonal shop currency as you reach each step"

The battlepass needs to have xp tier rewards on it to enhance leveling also. Not the premium pass. But the base pass for free needs xp tiers.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
I'd say almost EVERY class feels like total dogshit while leveling up. There are a few that can get some "early"/easy to get aspects where it doesn't feel as bad for as long, but they're all kind of a shitty experience for the first 30 or so levels. Sorc probably felt the "best" because of teleport and you can get the chain lightning aspect really early, which gives you a solid core skill for a while.
Diablo 4 has really bad pacing overall. As noted, most classes feel like shit while leveling - especially the first class you play through the game with. However, once you complete the campaign and the capstone dungeon to unlock World Tier 3, you get that massive, massive power spike. From around 45-55, the game seems really fun and enjoyable - you've unlocked the paragon board, you've gotten all your skill points, and you're upgrading to Sacred items like crazy. That level range really opens the game up and captures the classic ARPG power fantasy.

It's enough so that most players won't immediately notice the massive slowdown of experience, post-50. By level 60, however, the rewards have slowed back down to a trickle - leveling gets slower and slower, and most item drops are now a series of minor refinements to your build or sidegrades. There's a secondary, smaller power spike around level 70 or whenever you unlock World Tier 4, but because players spend 15+ levels refining their current build/items, the power jump to Ancestral items is much less pronounced.

My barb is 71 now, and there's not much in the game right now besides Helltides that feels very rewarding. Nightmare dungeons in particular are a disappointment - they often feel like the worst aspects of WoW Mythics and D3 Rifts mashed together; hoping to get a good key with good affixes to a good dungeon with good density, or else I'm just wasting my time.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It better be a little more than "Hey do all that shit again, except this time you unlock cosmetics and seasonal shop currency as you reach each step"

You know that it wont be.. It's going to be new Season 1 - Unlock your new Wizard Robe and Hat. Also there are X number of new unique items and 3 new glyphs that unlock builds X,Y,Z. I mean come on lets no act like we don't already know what Seasons will be. Now prep up whores you knew what this was.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You know that it wont be.. It's going to be new Season 1 - Unlock your new Wizard Robe and Hat. Also there are X number of new unique items and 3 new glyphs that unlock builds X,Y,Z. I mean come on lets no act like we don't already know what Seasons will be. Now prep up whores you knew what this was.
That's optimistic. I'm not expecting S1 to even bring that much new content.

I'm going to finish leveling to 100, try to beat Uber Lilith, and hopefully uninstall until some future season with new content.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Diablo 4 has really bad pacing overall. As noted, most classes feel like shit while leveling - especially the first class you play through the game with. However, once you complete the campaign and the capstone dungeon to unlock World Tier 3, you get that massive, massive power spike. From around 45-55, the game seems really fun and enjoyable - you've unlocked the paragon board, you've gotten all your skill points, and you're upgrading to Sacred items like crazy. That level range really opens the game up and captures the classic ARPG power fantasy.

It's enough so that most players won't immediately notice the massive slowdown of experience, post-50. By level 60, however, the rewards have slowed back down to a trickle - leveling gets slower and slower, and most item drops are now a series of minor refinements to your build or sidegrades. There's a secondary, smaller power spike around level 70 or whenever you unlock World Tier 4, but because players spend 15+ levels refining their current build/items, the power jump to Ancestral items is much less pronounced.

My barb is 71 now, and there's not much in the game right now besides Helltides that feels very rewarding. Nightmare dungeons in particular are a disappointment - they often feel like the worst aspects of WoW Mythics and D3 Rifts mashed together; hoping to get a good key with good affixes to a good dungeon with good density, or else I'm just wasting my time.

I can agree with this to a degree but I think many of you aren't realizing just how fucking retard powerful jesus style the Glyph+paragon board is. Unfortunately it's an unfun dogshit system which requires unfun grinds on unfun grinds but the power increase from them is broken as fuck.

At the same time I don't think most people care enough to spend 8 years figuring out what combos and direction you want to go to unlock shitbrick square A vs shitbrick square B, also you really only get enough points for it to matter in the 80ish range.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Well I mean part of the reason for the game feeling like dogshit leveling is fucking scaling. God I fucking hate HATE that shit.

I could deal with the WW build a clunky piece of retarded resource starved dogshit, but you put scaling on top of it and it REALLY feels so fucking bad.

Hot take here: fuck open worlds AArpg, put the rails back on in the form of acts/chapter so scaling can go fuckitself till end game. Do whatever the fuck you want at end game idc.

The open world shit added nothing of value to the leveling experience. Also that open world is bland and monotonous, ya the map overall is huge, but like people pointed out before it's 10 flavors of fucking deserted paths.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I can agree with this to a degree but I think many of you aren't realizing just how fucking retard powerful jesus style the Glyph+paragon board is. Unfortunately it's an unfun dogshit system which requires unfun grinds on unfun grinds but the power increase from them is broken as fuck.

At the same time I don't think most people care enough to spend 8 years figuring out what combos and direction you want to go to unlock shitbrick square A vs shitbrick square B, also you really only get enough points for it to matter in the 80ish range.
It is but the grind is just not worth it. There is just not enough of that endorphin fix in this game to continue on. Like was said, the gear upgrades 55-70 suck, then you get a nice spike at 70 when you hit up that WT4 then they dwindle again. Depending on your RNG you could go for DAYS before finding an upgrade, the loot in this game just feels bad, man. So in the interim youre doing these boring ass dungeons over and over for some +5 or +10 on that paragon board. Which I agree its powerful, but still drip fed to you. They need to DOUBLE the exp gain post 50 so people can actually get powerful before they fall asleep.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It is but the grind is just not worth it. There is just not enough of that endorphin fix in this game to continue on. Like was said, the gear upgrades 55-70 suck, then you get a nice spike at 70 when you hit up that WT4 then they dwindle again. Depending on your RNG you could go for DAYS before finding an upgrade, the loot in this game just feels bad, man. So in the interim youre doing these boring ass dungeons over and over for some +5 or +10 on that paragon board. Which I agree its powerful, but still drip fed to you. They need to DOUBLE the exp gain post 50 so people can actually get powerful before they fall asleep.

Honestly, I would prefer them to go my exponential with the XP gain.. Leveling from 1-75/80 or hell even closer to 90 would be fine, after that it should be dick grindingly retarded to go further.. instead it's more linear so every level feels like a sluggish slog of pig shit you have to wade through.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, I would prefer them to go my exponential with the XP gain.. Leveling from 1-75/80 or hell even closer to 90 would be fine, after that it should be dick grindingly retarded to go further.. instead it's more linear so every level feels like a sluggish slog of pig shit you have to wade through.

That or just let people hit 100,who cares. But I can see them balking at that, since there is so much power in paragon.

Getting to 100 probably wont be easy, until the raise that cap eventually. Either let you fill out more paragon or add more boards.

Hell I could see a season just being about a specific new paragon board or boards that does something powerful or crazy. With a season specific glyphs, legendary nodes and rare nodes with it.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
unlock cosmetics and seasonal shop currency as you reach each step

I don't get the point of cosmetics at all in this game. The color pallete is so desaturated and the models similar enough given the zoom level that everything looks the same anyway. They're going to have to do PoE style skill changes or something.

There is just not enough of that endorphin fix in this game to continue on.

Yeah, I think this will end up true as a result of all the content being scaled. While I think PoE overdid the endpoint of "nuke everything at light speed", you definitely end up with a satisfying continuing progression of perceived power that I haven't really felt at all in D4 so far. In terms of the moment-to-moment experience, I think D2 hit a sweet spot in terms of gameplay at the start vs endgame.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
D4... exactly what we expected it to be. I feel bad for all the "This game is dogshit.... but I don't regret spending on it" crew. Laughable.

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
D4... exactly what we expected it to be. I feel bad for all the "This game is dogshit.... but I don't regret spending on it" crew. Laughable.

Almost as bad as the people who obsess over a thread for a game they don't like.

• 5Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

It's not dogshit, it's just not spectacular. It's better than D3 was at launch, but I'm not sure they took very good notes from that experience.

• 5Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I would say I “regret” buying it but the amount of money it cost is insignificant to me. If I could go back to a week or two ago when I bought it and not bother with it? Sure.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah this game just needs like another 2-3, 4? seasons and hopefyully they make some meaningful changes. Im sure ill be back many times to play this.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
It's not dogshit, it's just not spectacular. It's better than D3 was at launch, but I'm not sure they took very good notes from that experience.
Yah, exactly. It was better than D3 at launch. I think I left D3 alone several years before going back to it. Hopefully maybe D4 is improved to be more fun in 6-12 months.

I only play games zero to a few hours a week anyway so it’s whatever.