Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Grimsark

Maybe I am just easy to please, but I actually think the writing is great. The story itself is a little cliche, yeah, but the way they handle it is really impressive to me. Some of the dialogue is like reading poetry.

Like I said, maybe I am just so used to shit sandwiches that a week old bologna looks great. ;|

supertouch_sl

shitlord
As far as the story and lore go, it's presenting the same problems I had with Path of Exile. There's so much lore thrown at you but it's hard to piece together and the story is incredibly nebulous (I'm only 5 hours in so maybe it gets better).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Need 2 skill points to go from level 1 to level 2, so when you get to level 5 you need 6 points to to level 6 etc.
Dammit, that makes sense, but also means I've already spent a point or two that I shouldn't have. Not worth going back and redoing it though, so I guess I'll hope that I get a bunch more points still.

Pretty dumb that it doesn't spell that out somewhere though. I could have probably filled out every skill with 1 point before realizing that on my own, unless they start giving you more than 1 point per level soon.

Grimsark

As far as the story and lore go, it's presenting the same problems I had with Path of Exile. There's so much lore thrown at you but it's hard to piece together and the story is incredibly nebulous (I'm only 5 hours in so maybe it gets better).
By the time you solve the murder, for real, it begins to make a lot more sense. (edit: At least it did to me)

icarr757_sl

shitlord
!@#$% 3 on one fight, 1/3 of the skeletons are archers with elemental arrows and they can HEAL! No cover in sight! I can not remember the last time I saved between every round of combat! I really need to get that 4th party member...

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
!@#$% 3 on one fight, 1/3 of the skeletons are archers with elemental arrows and they can HEAL! No cover in sight! I can not remember the last time I saved between every round of combat! I really need to get that 4th party member...
You can run away, sometimes it breaks them up.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
LOS works well on ranged mobs also.

Damn Hate you were 5 when you left town? I dipped out at like level 3.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Larian games are always a little quirky and rough around the edges. But they definitely aren't afraid to mix things up and try something new. Anyways, so long as there isn't a creature as bad as the orc drummer from the original DivineDivinityI will be happy. Those things were ridiculously overpowered for when you first encountered them unless you had a freeze spell.

I like the pet pal talent. It's totally a fluff skill, but the flavor it adds to the game is nice, and it has actually resulted in one quest I would not have been able to get otherwise. I am sure it's just a very minor side quest but it's something. Overall the dialogue has been pretty decent. The game doesn't take itself too seriously, which is a plus for me. I mean how can anyone be truly afraid of some evil mages when their name is a pun... Sourcerers indeed.

Caliane

Is it just fluff? running around and seeing so many animals... I was starting to wonder if I was missing ALOT not having it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Spoiler for companion locations

Still not progressed past the town.

Been there for 4 hours now. Keep finding new stuff. Ranger ability of teleporting out of danger is really handy for bypassing traps and getting chests. Found a dungeon beneath a smith, exit in the middle of the zombie area. Still level 2/3 suddenly up against 7 mobs. All of them with heal, one with raise. Did a quick reload on that one.

Really enjoying it.

EDIT: To above, lots of animals have separate quests and give journal updates. Certainly not just fluff. I removed a combat skill and added pet talking when I first created the characters (only need it on one though).

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I guess I have a different definition for fluff. I always consider it something primarily concerned with providing additional information, story, backstory, character development ect. As opposed to something that directly enhances your character's power.

I think the pet pal thing is great, like I said, but it's not something to take if you wanted to create a couple of murder machines.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The dialogue stat bonuses are cool but really need to know what the result will be before hand because it works like KOTOR I and II were you can go light and dark but you want to focus because neutral gets you jack shit.

Grimsark

What companions are available? I've only been able to find the mage so far.
Potential spoilers.
There are the mage (library) and the warrior (in the bar), but you'll get the option to choose from a variety of henchmen (with no dialogues) later in the game.
Henchmen replace a companion. You're still limited to 4 members total.

Caliane

Cecil, Mayor of Cyseal, husband of Cecilia.
haha. Larian humor is very silly.

GrizzlyCL

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do you have full control over leveling options for both companion and henchmen talents, abilities, and stats? Are there ability trees other than magic that can create elemental effects? I've played for a little bit and will probably play the hell out of this once I finish Wolfenstein. So far I just use bully, leader dmg buff, melee power stance, the witchcraft dmg buff, some slow/cripple/knockdown and the knight whirlwind thing and it works pretty well when I pull it off. Something like 185% dmg increase which is neat. I haven't done anything with rogue/ranger stuff yet.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I guess I have a different definition for fluff. I always consider it something primarily concerned with providing additional information, story, backstory, character development ect. As opposed to something that directly enhances your character's power.

I think the pet pal thing is great, like I said, but it's not something to take if you wanted to create a couple of murder machines.
Yeah, I think we are opposites then
smile.png

I always take anything that can extend dialog or give additional quests and story over combat related things. I get OCD problems if I know that "oh, maybe I could have talked to that npc and gotten extra stuff (story, items, quests, etc) if I just had that skill". I will level a skill tied to dialog 9 out of 10 times over a combat related skill given the option.

As I doubt I will replay this game for a long time, I will much rather get every quest I can the first time. Not like you won't end up a powerhouse in the end anyways.

That said, just had a 20 minute battle with 8 or so level 5 enemies at level 3. Tried to run away from one pack, but added another instead. That was fun. Summon and teleports to cling them together, poison, then firearrows and fireball scrolls. Turn based is so much more rewarding than hack and slash.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Huh. So I ditched my first party because I'd made a wizard and knight, which is the exact two companions available in the game, and instead made a cleric and ranger.

On my first party, I went to that orc on the beach with the buried brother and dug him up, collecting the insanely good orc armor and helmet there.

When I went to do this on my second party, the corpse was empty. I'd done nothing different, it just didn't have the armor on it.

Is this a bug or is there some weird loot system I haven't figured out yet?