Do you know first hand anyone who has been proven to test positive for Covid-19?

Do you know first hand anyone who has been proven to test positive for Covid-19?

• Yes

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 91 60.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Good question. I have another group of concerned Karen's that I keep up with just to keep my finger on the pulse of the hysteria. Someone started linking plandemic to them and they predictably chimped out. One of them made the statement that "every one of us knows someone fighting covid". It came as a genuine surprise to a number of them that this was wrong. They get tunnel vision in their own little patch of the world and don't realize that most of the US has very few cases. Probably most of the world.

I'm an essential worker. I work for a pretty big company. Not only do I not know anyone infected, but no one in my company has been infected and a lot of us who travel to sensitive areas get tests regardless of not showing any symptoms. Then the person tried to expand it to doctors etc and I was like no, actually the 2 people I know personally in the medical field have been furloughed or had their hours cut.

Anyway. Not at all trying to make a case that it's fake like I think booze is. Just want to point out that outside of the Hotspots it's another nothingburger.

Also booze why the fuck can't we change our answers? What if you convince someone that they are really a no?

Maybe you just don't have a very large social circle.

I knew one person directly and a second one that passed away at age 30 is family of my cleaning lady.

We have over 9000 deaths on a population of 11 million. I've you've dealt with over 12.000 people, you are statistically likely to know at least 1 of the people that died.

12.000 people is not a large number.

The US is still early in the COVID thing I think. Don't worry, the chances of you or someone you care about getting "just a flu" are still pretty solid.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have numbers. Zero. Zero fucking infections in an office that handles foreign immigrants daily (over 40% asian) with around 180 total employees and roughly 300-500 people who entered the front doors every day. And I touched every fucking computer in the place regularly. Zero infections in choirs with a total membership of around 150 people, with clubs extending the total numbers to around 700 constantly doing food and booze serving garden events every two weeks and fuck ton of public performances. I am the second youngest active singer in the bigger choir at age 50, drink like a fish, and am a fat fuck. Zero infections in that group. And no one in either group knows of anyone they have had direct contact with who has even had it, despite being in the high risk and high exposure parts of the venn diagram.

I know this because I am still doing remote IT for everyone out of my office and answering calls not just for my office but helping the national helpdesk for USCIS as well. In over a month there has been only one person I have spoken to on the phone who has claimed to have it (some carpet muncher from NYC) and they were fine. The moment anyone had a personal contact be diagnosed with it everyone in the chain of contact with that person would be in quarentine for three weeks because our mayor is that batshit. And the top guys in my larger choir have met weekly to rehearse shit and discuss how soon our club can do something again under the rule of De Furher Mayor Niremberg. So yeah, I have a pretty good idea of the numbers.

• 1Picard

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I have numbers. Zero. Zero fucking infections in an office that handles foreign immigrants daily (over 40% asian) with around 180 total employees and roughly 300-500 people who entered the front doors every day. And I touched every fucking computer in the place regularly. Zero infections in choirs with a total membership of around 150 people, with clubs extending the total numbers to around 700 constantly doing food and booze serving garden events every two weeks and fuck ton of public performances. I am the second youngest active singer in the bigger choir at age 50, drink like a fish, and am a fat fuck. Zero infections in that group. And no one in either group knows of anyone they have had direct contact with who has even had it, despite being in the high risk and high exposure parts of the venn diagram.

I know this because I am still doing remote IT for everyone out of my office and answering calls not just for my office but helping the national helpdesk for USCIS as well. In over a month there has been only one person I have spoken to on the phone who has claimed to have it (some carpet muncher from NYC) and they were fine. The moment anyone had a personal contact be diagnosed with it everyone in the chain of contact with that person would be in quarentine for three weeks because our mayor is that batshit. And the top guys in my larger choir have met weekly to rehearse shit and discuss how soon our club can do something again under the rule of De Furher Mayor Niremberg. So yeah, I have a pretty good idea of the numbers.

Well, I hope you can agree that with 9000 deaths on 11.000.000 people, it doesn't take a miracle to know one or several persons that had a severe case.

US numbers are a lot better, for now at least. Your rural areas are a huge advantage, we don't really have areas with low pop density.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I knew one person directly and a second one that passed away at age 30 is family of my cleaning lady.

We have over 9000 deaths on a population of 11 million. I've you've dealt with over 12.000 people, you are statistically likely to know at least 1 of the people that died.

The US is still early in the COVID thing I think. Don't worry, the chances of you or someone you care about getting "just a flu" are still pretty solid.

Doesnt everyone deal with at least 12,000 people?

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean I guess I could be said to have hit that (and San Antonio is a large population city, just more spread out than similar population towns) as in a two week time frame more than 12k people would have foot trafficked through the office. But I do not know any of them directly. However, they have been shutting down entire offices and ordering stay at home quarantine in other branch offices where one immigrant tested positive and set foot in the place, so if it had hit the SA office I would know pretty damn quick.

But priot to this whole test run of communism, I had around about 500ish and change people I can credibly say I encountered on at least a weekly basis.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
But priot to this whole test run of communism, I had around about 500ish and change people I can credibly say I encountered on at least a weekly basis.

Yea, and when you change 1/12000 to 500/12000, chances are becoming decent that someone tells you about how someone in their family died.

Also there is the online thing of course. If khorum khorum wife comes here tomorrow to post about his demise, all 7 of us and our alts would be aware.

• 2Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nothing here yet. Still only around 1000 cases in a county of a million though, in California.

My family lives on the east coast and my wife's in Illinois and nothing from them either.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I mean I guess I could be said to have hit that (and San Antonio is a large population city, just more spread out than similar population towns) as in a two week time frame more than 12k people would have foot trafficked through the office. But I do not know any of them directly. However, they have been shutting down entire offices and ordering stay at home quarantine in other branch offices where one immigrant tested positive and set foot in the place, so if it had hit the SA office I would know pretty damn quick.

Crazy. You're in IT Support right?

Goatface

the county i live in has 37k people, 100 per sq mile, 6 towns. 23 cases, 3 of them (including the person we knew that died) came from the smallest town of less than 1500.
we have a former doctor (got in trouble for scipt abuse, billing etc) which is the only other case that i know off, but don't know him personally.
they stopped telling where people lived at in the county or any other info after announcing that 4 other people had test positive that live outside of our town but worked here and which caused a bunch of drama

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

You realize some of us meet 200 people a week in the office elevator right?

I take it at least 8-10 times a day, there are always 2-5 people in it.

the county i live in has 37k people, 100 per sq mile, 6 towns. 23 cases, 3 of them (including the person we knew that died) came from the smallest town of less than 1500.
we have a former doctor (got in trouble for scipt abuse, billing etc) which is the only other case that i know off, but don't know him personally.
they stopped telling where people lived at in the county or any other info after announcing that 4 other people had test positive that live outside of our town but worked here and which caused a bunch of drama

Those are nice numbers.

Flanders has an average of 186,87 per square mile.

Last edited:

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yeah I do a mix of desktop support, low end sysad shit and small site deploys. They are always amazed when the fat guy flips an office with six end users in under two days and does not die or break anything. Since this shit began I am pretty much remote support both local derps and national DHS IT service center work. Fucking sucks but I am getting paid and I finally get to work from home as a contractor.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

My 500ish people are people I either worked with daily (around 200) or members of the choirs I know on a first name basis that I rehearse at least once a week with ordinarily. Not random NPCs I pass in an elevator. I am willing to accept I might be extraordinarily lucky and a statistical outlier, but it sure does not seem like it.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
My 500ish people are people I either worked with daily (around 200) or members of the choirs I know on a first name basis that I rehearse at least once a week with ordinarily. Not random NPCs I pass in an elevator. I am willing to accept I might be extraordinarily lucky and a statistical outlier, but it sure does not seem like it.

Anyone that works in a big office knows how this works.

You and I also know that you know the names of all the lookers you've seen 3 times in the past month, but you can't remember the name of that fat girl that you've seen 39 times in 2 weeks.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Lets start with the fact that you can't do basic math: 9,000 of a 11,000,000 is not a death ratio of 1/12,000. Its actually off by about a factor of TEN. Its 1,200. not 12,000

Oh standing next to strangers in the elevator is now meeting people? You know them all by name?

We're playing really fast and loose with all these terms like "knew", "encountered", "dealt".

Dunbar's Number is less than 2% of 12,000 and DN is already upper cognitive limit for social relationships due to neocortex limitations. Within Dunbar's number, 60% of your entire social time is spent with a dozen people or so: your immediate family and closest friends.

If you know someone first-hand like the original question asks, that means you've met them, talked to them at some point and maintained some sort of semblance of at least semi-regular if not regular contact. 12,000 people is an absurd number for that. If we are playing so loose with definitions I could probably "meet" 12,000 people just by walking around Hollywood for few hours.

Yea, and when you change 1/12000 to 500/12000, chances are becoming decent that someone tells you about how someone in their family died.

LOL, arent you a "buyer" - meaning you do forecasting and calculations for a living?

Not only is your ratio off by a factor of 10 and is actually 1/1200, not 1/12000 BUT....

If the ratio of dead to living in a given set of population is 9,000/11,000,000 aka your 1/1,200 ratio - you knowing 500 people doesnt make that ratio 500/1200. You dont magically lessen your odds of knowing a corona victim from 1/1200 to less than 1/3 by knowing 500 people in a population of 11 million.

• 2Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anyone that works in a big office knows how this works.

You and I also know that you know the names of all the lookers you've seen 3 times in the past month, but you can't remember the name of that fat girl that you've seen 39 times in 2 weeks.
I will thank you to leave my wife out of this conversation.

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
1) Lets start with the fact that you can't do basic math: 9,000 of a 11,000,000 is not a death ratio of 1/12,000. Its actually off by about a factor of TEN. Its 1,200. not 12,000

2) Oh standing next to strangers in the elevator is now meeting people? You know them all by name?

We're playing really fast and loose with all these terms like "knew", "encountered", "dealt".

Dunbar's Number is less than 2% of 12,000 and DN is already upper cognitive limit for social relationships due to neocortex limitations. Within Dunbar's number, 60% of your entire social time is spent with a dozen people or so: your immediate family and closest friends.

If you know someone first-hand like the original question asks, that means you've met them, talked to them at some point and maintained some sort of semblance of at least semi-regular if not regular contact. 12,000 people is an absurd number for that. If we are playing so loose with definitions I could probably "meet" 12,000 people just by walking around Hollywood for few hours.

LOL, arent you a "buyer" - meaning you do forecasting and calculations for a living?

Not only is your ratio off by a factor of 10 and is actually 1/1200, not 1/12000 BUT....

3) If the ratio of dead to living in a given set of population is 9,000/11,000,000 aka your 1/1,200 ratio - you knowing 500 people doesnt make that ratio 500/1200. You dont magically lessen your odds from 1/1200 to less than 1/3 by knowing 500 people in a population of 11 million.

1) that only contributes to my point, well spotted!

2) yes, I am expected to know at least 200 people by name and greet them

3) you increase the odds of knowing someone that has had a death in the family or someone else close to them, you understood what I said, don't pretend you don't

I do understand and fully believe you can't even imagine someone seeing 500 people weekly on a regular base, but that is just your limited perspective.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have never posted so much as a picture of my wife, except one of us having a beer at the German bar. My last post was meant as a joke, but it sailed over your head.

• 1Salty
  • 1Truth!

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
1) that only contributes to my point.

2) yes, I am expected to know at least 200 people by name and greet them

3) you increase the odds of knowing someone that has had a death in the family or someone else close to them, you understood what I said, don't pretend you don't

I do understand and fully believe you can't even imagine someone seeing 500 people weekly on a regular base, but that is just your limited perspective.

1. The point that you're mathematically illiterate and just a general dipshit that runs his mouth? Yes it does.

2. 200 is not 12,000 or even 1,200 - dont move the goal posts on me. 200 is several dozen beyond the uppermost limit of Dunbar's Number. Its probably possible but your original claim was 12,000 not 200. Your new number (1,200) which I helpfully provided to you, is still off by a factor of 8

3. what are you talking about?

4. oh so now we went from "dealt with" then to "meeting" and now to "seeing" 500 people on a regular basis. If I sit in a lobby of an office highrise all morning every day for a week, how many people did I "see" on a "regular basis"?

Bro, you gotta do better. Take some basic arithmetic courses. Take a basic business course. Learn those fractions finally. Learn what a P&L statement is. Learn how things work.

• 1Truth!
Status
Not open for further replies.