Does nearly everyone under 24 seem autistic to you?

Does nearly everyone under 24 seem autistic to you?

• Yes

Votes: 109 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 34.7%

• Total voters

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This. I see this at work and any time I date a chick 30 or under. The problem is the sheltered, protected, helicopter parenting they received. They don't know how to navigate life, because they've only watched/read about it, and haven't actually lived it. The days of walking a mile to school in the snow at 10 years old, or biking through traffic to high school, or just being left to your own devices until sun down has been a thing of the past for 25+ years now. Dealing with the stress/challenge of simply being alone as a child/teenager and having to figure things out is an experience this generation totally missed out on. Getting "lost" as a kid, freaking out, and finding a pay phone to call someone is one of a million little stresses and anxieties millennials simply didn't have to deal with. You used to build shit with your hands, whether it was a tree house or fort-- now kids just play Ipad or buy a pre-fab one at Toys 'R Us. You wanted to learn about something? You took the bus down to the public library and researched it. Now you just Google. The result is these kids have a sense of entitlement because almost literally everything is available right at your fingertips via technology/money, and don't know how to do shit because they've never had to figure out something on their own.

This isn't a bad thing...

I'm 30 now so I guess I'm a little older than this group everyone is shitting on, but you all come across as just shitty old people. 80% of people suck. That's going to hold true for all eternity. I have a decent number of friends 25 or under and some of them are "farther along" in life than I am. Already own houses and shit. Fucking Ohio.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
This isn't a bad thing...

I'm 30 now so I guess I'm a little older than this group everyone is shitting on, but you all come across as just shitty old people. 80% of people suck. That's going to hold true for all eternity. I have a decent number of friends 25 or under and some of them are "farther along" in life than I am. Already own houses and shit. Fucking Ohio.

You'd think, but in actuality the ability to retain and value information is related to the effort put into it. Going down to the library and finding the book you needed almost guaranteed you retained the information, now it's all in one ear and out the other-- an endless deluge of information at your fingertips.

Think of it this way. Despite autocorrect flashing the correct spelling on the screen for every typo, why do people today write and spell far worse than they did just 30 years ago, let alone 100 years ago? Because people would have to look up the correct spelling in a dictionary-- now people just glance at the autocorrect and don't even bother mentally retaining the correct spelling.

I'm not saying the net benefit is negative, it certainly isn't, but the irony is that though we have instant access to endless amounts of information, we don't bother actually retaining much of it simply by virtue of it being so easily accessible.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
The culture media now promotes rewards without effort.

Newest star wars: female abandoned child-> can fly ships, repair everything, fight with swords.

New Iron man is a black teen with single mom (despite evidence that single parent children are vastly more prone to become criminals and have lower IQ)

Single artist in NYC: has huge apartment.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The culture media now promotes rewards without effort.

Newest star wars: female abandoned child-> can fly ships, repair everything, fight with swords.

New Iron man is a black teen with single mom (despite evidence that single parent children are vastly more prone to become criminals and have lower IQ)

Single artist in NYC: has huge apartment.

Haha this kinda shit has been going on forever. Ever watch Friends? How the fuck did a barista afford to live in that dope NY apartment?

• 2Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Haha this kinda shit has been going on forever. Ever watch Friends? How the fuck did a barista afford to live in that dope NY apartment?

It was one of their grandmothers in a rent-controlled apt they were illegally subletting. Bro do you even Friends?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Szlia

I interact with a number of teenagers and young adults and answered "No". It's possible my sample is not representative though as most of them are engaged in competitive sport.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I was going to expand upon the title but it seems pretty self-explanatory.
Actually... I think we need to expand on this. What the fuck were you doing hanging around people 24 years and younger? Hitting on high school girls at the mall?

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Hitting on high school girls at the mall?
I believe in lesbian lingo, they refer to them as "training scissors".

69Sytt4.png

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not saying the net benefit is negative, it certainly isn't, but the irony is that though we have instant access to endless amounts of information, we don't bother actually retaining much of it simply by virtue of it being so easily accessible.

[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think.”Albert Einstein

(IE Never memorize what you can look up).

Kids not knowing facts directly doesn't really bother me. I've always felt being intelligent was more about 1.) Realizing you probably aren't right on your first assumption. 2.) Thinking critically and being skeptical. 3.) Learning how to look up and aggregate sources so you can be reasonably assured of getting the right answer.(And actually taking the time to do it)

The only issue with young people today is the same issue most people have, they shit the bed with all three of those things, but especially three. I think the little online communities have made number 3 even more difficult...Even reasonably smart people who think they are being skeptical go to trash places for bad information.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think.”Albert Einstein

Kids not knowing facts directly doesn't really bother me. I've always felt being intelligent was more about 1.) Realizing you probably aren't right on your first assumption. 2.) Thinking critically and being skeptical. 3.) Learning how to look up and aggregate sources so you can be reasonably assured of getting the right answer.(And actually taking the time to do it)

The only issue with young people today is the same issue most people have, they shit the bed with all three of those things, but especially three. I think the little online communities have made number 3 even more difficult...Even reasonably smart people who think they are being skeptical go to trash places for bad information.

Amen sister!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Well, when I'm referencing "retention" I'm not referring to rote memorization, and in the context of intelligence, understanding the "scientific method" is certainly more beneficial intelligence wise than memorizing Boyle's law. So their is no doubt that college education is more about learning to learn than it is memorizing historical dates or formulas.

But #3 makes my point. You had to put EFFORT going to the library, and the library wasn't filled with history books written by Salon magazine. You not only retained the information, but the information was generally correct (or at least widely accepted). You read the entire article/journal, as well as a few others, because fuck you already spent the time taking the bus down to the library, right? Now you just Google it, read the first article (maybe by Salon, maybe by some basement Lumie), absorb the few sentences, and probably accept that as fact/gospel before being distracted by a Twitter pop up.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Google University is pretty dope though. You can learn anything. I've learned so much about cooking, mixology (I hate that term but it's better than "bartending") and front/back end development from Googling shit. You don't even need to go to school anymore - especially in the development world. We just hired a guy who doesn't even have a degree but wrote some dope shit on his own from learning everything from the Internet. But I guess he's just another shitty 25 year old.

• 1Like

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I'm getting sick of people calling everybody autistic. I grew up with my younger brother who has high functioning autism. Up here I Canada people who get that designation are mentally retarded. It was pure hell for my family to readjust to train him how to look after himself. All these idiot ass millennials are not autistic, they just have some traits but it isn't a disability. And I have been around a dozen actual autistic people and they act nothing like all the "autistic" people I see on YouTube that most people agree must be retarded.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
OP haven't you realized yet that your view of the world is fucked?

• 2Like