Dogs

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Start the thread the proper way
Gentlemen of the jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

Gentlemen of the jury: A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I had a dog when I was a teenager that had total pack mentality, he was great with my Mum and Dad but a gigantic arsehole with I think universally everyone else including me and my sister.

In hindsight they should have chopped his balls off, would have solved everything.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
We lost our 16 year old Boston Terrier this year. Thinking of picking this girl up for my wife for Christmas. Red Boston.

rrr_img_4133.jpg

rrr_img_4133.jpg

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone have any idea of what the issue here is?

Got a puppy 2 weeks ago, she's 11 weeks now. It's going good, she's a little fireball, but overall it's good. Crate training is going great, but listen to this shit. We bought her a dog bed, and she peed on it within the first day or two. So now, anything that we attempt to replace it with, old pillows, the dog bed that has been natures miracle'd and washed, and she pissed on it. Now she has zero accidents in her crate or on the towel in her crate, and housebreaking is going fairly well. But pillow or dog bed? Pissssssssss.

The last time it happened, she was chewing on a bully stick and just real into it, and was fidgeting around, and just peed.

I'm content to leave it alone for a while, but she spends most of her time in a tiled room because of housebreaking when we have to watch her and she can't get comfy to chew and stuff unless it's on a bed.

Should I buy some shitty dog beds and keep at it and just keep correcting the behavior?

Thx.
She doesn't need a bed, at this stage, just leave it out its more trouble than its worth and its going to make your job housebreaking much harder. Besides in a month she is going to going to destroy beds anyway.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
We lost our 16 year old Boston Terrier this year. Thinking of picking this girl up for my wife for Christmas. Red Boston.

rrr_img_4133.jpg
Bostons are cool little dogs, but I wish someone had told me how fucking crazy they were prior to the purchase. Every one that I've met has been ADD.

rrr_img_4133.jpg

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
My aunt had a Boston, when I was around seven I stole a huge bag of pretzels and sat under the dining room table and shared the bag with the dog. That dog was so sick I thought I had killed it. Every time I showed up at her house after that he would spend the entire time trying to bite me. They have the capacity for learning and holding a grudge.

She doesn't need a bed, at this stage, just leave it out its more trouble than its worth and its going to make your job housebreaking much harder. Besides in a month she is going to going to destroy beds anyway.
I'm just afraid she will be housebroken and think for some reason that beds/similar fabric are fair game. But you are probably right.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I'm just afraid she will be housebroken and think for some reason that beds/similar fabric are fair game. But you are probably right.
Dogs don't need beds to start with. I don't give mine any bedding anywhere until I'm 100% sure they're housebroken in every area of the house. No bedding in the crate, nothing else. They're fine laying on the floor, especially when they're puppies.

Later on in life I endorse the bed idea simply for them to have a "spot" that they know is theirs. It makes it a lot easier to reinforce other areas of training if they know what their bed is.

Dogs don't need beds to start with. I don't give mine any bedding anywhere until I'm 100% sure they're housebroken in every area of the house. No bedding in the crate, nothing else. They're fine laying on the floor, especially when they're puppies.

Later on in life I endorse the bed idea simply for them to have a "spot" that they know is theirs. It makes it a lot easier to reinforce other areas of training if they know what their bed is.
I suppose, I was just trying to provide her a chew spot so she can lay down and leave me the fuck alone sometimes =P

Serious question though, even though I don't plan on switching to a raw diet, is it true that really high protein dry dog foods are bad for puppies? I know raw is obviously like complete protein so how is this a bad thing if peoples raise puppies on it?

Thinking about making a switch to Earthborn dog food is why I ask but it's like 34-38% protein.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I suppose, I was just trying to provide her a chew spot so she can lay down and leave me the fuck alone sometimes =P

Serious question though, even though I don't plan on switching to a raw diet, is it true that really high protein dry dog foods are bad for puppies? I know raw is obviously like complete protein so how is this a bad thing if peoples raise puppies on it?

Thinking about making a switch to Earthborn dog food is why I ask but it's like 34-38% protein.
Well, raw's not super high protein, it's just natural. Like, a chicken thigh isn't made up of 90% protein or anything, there's a lot of fat and calcium and other shit. It's been awhile since I researched it, but I believe there was no point where too much protein was bad for any grown dog. Actually, the higher the protein ratio the better. I think the problem lies particularly with puppy food causing large growth spurts, but you're gonna get that with any kibble.

I do remember reading something about high protein and puppies, but it's been like 2 years since I did all the research on this. Zel ate whole eggs, cottage cheese and chicken drums for a long time when she was a pup and never had a problem. Not sure what that equates out to in terms of percent though to help you out.

Fuck it, i'll look it up. It's gonna bother me if I don't.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs (Lew Olson) is the book I use for reference, and has guided my entire raw diet adventure. It has sourced studies of puppies where when fed a low protein diet, growth was stunted, high protein diet, they grew normally. Furthermore, when switched to a high protein diet, the low protein group grew normally. It seems to indicate that overfeeding (a common problem when feeding low quality proteins) is more of a health problem than high amounts of high quality protein.

Everything I remember from going through all of this is what dogs are just protein machines (they are carnivores, afterall). The more they get, the healthier they are, because that's what they metabolize the most effectively. Higher quality proteins and higher amounts are always beneficial, at every stage of life, and leads to healthier dogs.

You'll probably get growth spurts from puppy kibble though, that's a common problem with all of it.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Issue is with breeds that have common hip dysplasia issue, high protein puppy food can cause them too grow fast, and increase their chance of hip issues at a older date. This is usually a issue with puppy kibble.

BTW got Immo's hip prelims done, nothing changes between the next 10 months (I had them done at 16 months), he probably will go OFA Excellent or at least Good on the hips when they are score. I need to stop being lazy and tighten up his focus heel and get ready for his BH so I can start his fun training.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, so meant to ask..what did you get Arkk? You got it right around the time of the board implosion, don't think we talked much since.

I won't switch for a month or so until her current food runs out, and I may wait even longer. She isn't on puppy kibble, just an adult formula of Taste of the Wild, it's coincidentally what I fed my Rottweiler and the breeder fed the same thing, so I kept it the same. Diamond makes it so I wanted to avoid another potential recall and Earthborn is a better food.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier. It's been good so far. She's really high energy, not crazy frantic or anything she just takes a while to tire, and at this age without all of her shots, and the low attention span, sometimes tiring her out can be a chore.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
I need help/advice/ideas on what is happening with one of my dogs. He is a 6 yr old Border Collie/Lab mix and two weeks ago he was sleeping and then just stood up and started screaming and shaking. I held him until he stopped, which was approximately thirty seconds. I felt all along his body in order to locate where the pain was but he gave no indication of having any. I released him and he went off with the other dog as nothing happened. It happened again last night while he was on the bed next to me at 3am. Scared the crap out of everyone in the house. Again, he didn't seem to have any painful parts. I felt for stomach spasms, the whole nine yards. Again, thirty or so seconds he was fine and went back to sleep. No one else did, in fact he was pissed off that we all became active making him feel he had to get up as well.
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Probably just had a dream. I've seen plenty of dogs do that, fall asleep, leg starts twitching, then they wake up, run to the door or something, and look all freaked the fuck out because their brains can't comprehend the difference between a dream and reality.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
Probably just had a dream. I've seen plenty of dogs do that, fall asleep, leg starts twitching, then they wake up, run to the door or something, and look all freaked the fuck out because their brains can't comprehend the difference between a dream and reality.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder why all of a sudden. I hope if this continues the vet doesn't want to put him on puppy uppers or doggie downers.