Dogs

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My parents have a Jack Russell. He suffers from terrible separation anxiety. My parents got him when he was only six weeks old. He is very uncomfortable when he leaves the house and freaks out when people leave. He is also extremely distrustful of anyone he's not familiar with who enters the home; barking, running away from them, hiding under cupboards and beds. He's just an overall nervous wreck of a dog. He's also extremely possessive. He'll growl like an asshole, not playful, if you take away something he has and gets pissed if you do something like make him get off the couch so you can sit down.

He's too far gone at this point. He's seven years old now and my parents have just waited too long to attempt to break him from this kind of behavior. Based on a suggestion from a co-worker, I checked out theThundershirt. The suggestion just came to me yesterday and I quickly did some online research and the results appear to be staggering - almost unbelievable. So I went ahead and bought it as a Christmas gift for my parents. Does anyone else here have any experience with these? Are they as magical as they sound?
JRTs are notorious for acting like that. They're very tightly wound as a breed. With that said you can change any dog to conform to any behavior you desire. Thundershirts are more of a band-aid being put on a bullet wound at this point. If you are constantly putting the Thundershirt on everytime your parents leave you're not addressing the root of the issue. Thundershirts were invented for, surprise surprise, to alleviate dog stress during thunderstorms. It is very difficult to counter-condition a dog for a thunderstorm. You basically need to have your puppy and get 3-4 violent storms while they're still young to really make them not care about thunder and lightning. You can still do the same with older dogs but they'll probably still be nervous during them. But now people are applying the Thundershirt for all forms of dog stress. Does it get short term, immediate, results? Yes. Is it fixing the problem? No. No dog is ever "too far gone." Sure old dogs can be stuck in their ways and it takes longer but you can eventually shape their behavior. Like Arkk said my guess is your parents always made a big deal about leaving and a big deal about arriving home. Ideally you should just say "I'm leaving" to the dog and walk out the door. No petting, no kissy faces, no acting like it is the end of the world. When you arrive home you walk in and ignore the dog until it calms down. Reggie gets the silent treatment until he puts his ears up and doesn't wave his tail like a maniac everytime I make eye contact with him. He now will go into that mode in less than a minute now after working on it for about a month now.

Now to come full circle with all that said. Thundershirts do work *for most dogs.* Some dogs don't care for them and some dogs think it is the most comforting thing in the world. There is no guarantee it will work.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Can anyone suggest a dog that would get along with or at least coexist with our cat? We have a 8 month old domestic short hair that's basically a lap cat. Damn thing is codependent I swear. Was thinking about a sheltie or cav spaniel. Will have to be an inside dog as we don't have a fenced in yard, but would like it to be athletic enough / have enough energy to go on runs around the neighborhood and to the park.

Uhaul_sl

shitlord
My two boston's Molly and Sydney. They've provided years of ridiculous entertainment.

rrr_img_4675.jpg

rrr_img_4675.jpg

Uhaul_sl

shitlord
Can anyone suggest a dog that would get along with or at least coexist with our cat? We have a 8 month old domestic short hair that's basically a lap cat. Damn thing is codependent I swear. Was thinking about a sheltie or cav spaniel. Will have to be an inside dog as we don't have a fenced in yard, but would like it to be athletic enough / have enough energy to go on runs around the neighborhood and to the park.
How does your cat do around other animals? from my experience dogs tend to follow the lead of the owner but the cat in the house is the one who has a problem with the added family member. I saw something about avoiding prey driven dogs like a husky, but that wouldn't make for a good inside dog anyways.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well you can train the dog to get along with the cat but not all dogs are the same. If a dog is really play focused he'll try and play with the cat. If the cat doesn't like that it'll just run away. Or at least thats what our two cats do. Reggie also tries to herd the cats all over the place and you'd get the same with a Sheltie.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My parents' Jack Russell gets along with our cat very well. In fact, they play pretty often. Before the Jack Russell, we had a German Shepard and they got along very well too.

To answer the above questions about the Jack Russell, he probably doesn't get enough exercise for his breed. He gets his daily walk but beyond that, not much. Of course he still plays like a puppy. Always wanting to play fetch. He's pretty manipulative so he can usually coax you into playing with him. He gets a lot of exercise in the summer due to the pool being open and people being outside more in general. And the notes about making a big deal about leaving and entering the house; that's 100% the problem. Thanks for the input.

Do dogs that are raised with cats ever really have problems with them? My dog would give my cat shit when he was a puppy but he never wanted to attack her or anything. They kind of just get used to this other animal being there, I don't know if it really matters what breed you get for that reasoning.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, my wife had a cat for a couple years before I brought the dog home. But the day I did, the fucking cat was gone. We didn't see her for a week. I have no idea where she was hiding, but she wanted no part of the 15lb german shepherd puppy.

A week later, the dog was all comfortable with the house and me and was kinda getting into the groove of living here, and all of a sudden this fucking cat shows up. It's been ridiculous ever since. Very occasionally they can co-exist nicely together, usually in the evening, when they bond over looking out the patio door, but other than that, the prey drive on the shep won't enable any type of peaceful coexistence. Zel just won't get over it. Doesn't matter what's going on, it's "Ooh, cat" as soon as the cat shows up and they go tearing through the fucking house.

I should have never let the cat get away with hiding under a bed for a week, it probably would have solved it. But yeah, prey drive man...gotta be mindful of it.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_4730.jpg

I have a JRT they can be monsters but the personality makes up for it. I have a thundershirt for Giles and it does absolutely nothing. My fiance moved in and brought 3 dogs and a cat and the cat has not left the basement yet Giles will not have it. He gets along with the dogs but his prey drive kicks in when the cat is around and he goes literally crazy .

rrr_img_4730.jpg

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
My parents have a Jack Russell. He suffers from terrible separation anxiety. My parents got him when he was only six weeks old. He is very uncomfortable when he leaves the house and freaks out when people leave. He is also extremely distrustful of anyone he's not familiar with who enters the home; barking, running away from them, hiding under cupboards and beds. He's just an overall nervous wreck of a dog. He's also extremely possessive. He'll growl like an asshole, not playful, if you take away something he has and gets pissed if you do something like make him get off the couch so you can sit down.

He's too far gone at this point. He's seven years old now and my parents have just waited too long to attempt to break him from this kind of behavior. Based on a suggestion from a co-worker, I checked out theThundershirt. The suggestion just came to me yesterday and I quickly did some online research and the results appear to be staggering - almost unbelievable. So I went ahead and bought it as a Christmas gift for my parents. Does anyone else here have any experience with these? Are they as magical as they sound?
One of our dogs, a German Shepherd/Red Heeler mix is deathly afraid of new people. She was a rescue and we got her at a year old. We got her a thundershirt a few months ago and man does she love it. The minute we go to grab it when we know people are coming over, (she is deathly afraid of new people), she sits down and basically helps us put the shirt on. When she has the shirt on, she puts on her big girl panties and stays out and actually will go up to the new people. If the shirt is not on, forget it, she runs around the house and stays away from every living soul except for my wife and I.

So yes, they do work, but they are not a 100% measure to stop anything.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
One of our dogs, a German Shepherd/Red Heeler mix is deathly afraid of new people. She was a rescue and we got her at a year old. We got her a thundershirt a few months ago and man does she love it. The minute we go to grab it when we know people are coming over, (she is deathly afraid of new people), she sits down and basically helps us put the shirt on. When she has the shirt on, she puts on her big girl panties and stays out and actually will go up to the new people. If the shirt is not on, forget it, she runs around the house and stays away from every living soul except for my wife and I.

So yes, they do work, but they are not a 100% measure to stop anything.
That website says it's the pressure that does it. I'm not so sure. I suspect it's quite simply a change in the environment and the circumstances, and that's all an animal needs sometimes.

For example, I was watching a Curiosity special on Discovery a few months ago about sexuality. They said they had an experiment where they took a bunch of male rats, divided them up into groups, and put little vests on some of them, and put them into cages with female rats. The rats went about doing what rats do. They repeated this for a couple of weeks, and then took the vests off the rats, and found that they could no longer perform without the vests...completely impotent. What's a vest to a rat? It's nothing.

I suspect it's largely the same phenomenon. The shirt makes YOU think that it's going to work, and YOUR attitude changes, and the dog notices that shit. Then it starts to associate your more relaxed/stable energy with the shirt, and starts to enjoy it.

I notice a similar thing with the prong collar I use to walk my GSD. She doesn't associate the collar with anything negative, she associates it with walk time. The fact that the collar is used to control her behavior doesn't register at all. She will happily come right up to you and sit right in front of you if you grab the collar and wait for you to put it on.

Again, dog behavior is at least 75% human behavior. If you're stable, your dog will be stable. If you're out of control and get easily excited/anxious/fearful, your dog will do the same thing. Most people just don't recognize when they are, and that they're transferring that to the dog. I've got very high energy friends, and my dog acts completely different around them than she does around me, or with my lower energy friends.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think that's the whole story. My brother-in-law has a JRT. For years, if they left her alone in the house and there was a storm? She'd go apeshit. She's torn about 3 feet of dry-wall off the wall next to a door and decimated several carpets. They basically had to end up leaving her in her kennel in the garage during the day. If there were a storm, she'd literally bend the bars on it.

They got her a thundershirt, and even when she's alone, she's calm as fuck.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
They got her a thundershirt, and even when she's alone, she's calm as fuck.
Yeah, but that doesn't invalidate anything I said though. I'm 100% certain it's not the pressure, it's just the fact that the dog is in a different mindset wearing it. It's just like the rats. I got my vest on, I get to go fuck female rats. Oh no, a female rat. Where's my vest? I CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT IT.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, but that doesn't invalidate anything I said though. I'm 100% certain it's not the pressure, it's just the fact that the dog is in a different mindset wearing it. It's just like the rats. I got my vest on, I get to go fuck female rats. Oh no, a female rat. Where's my vest? I CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT IT.
You've got to be fucking kidding me. Did you think of this theory while you were fork-lifting boxes from one side of the warehouse to the other?