Dogs

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It does sound like a dream, yeah. One of our dogs always dreams like this except he's never gotten up and physically moved anywhere, just twitches A LOT... he barks and makes loud whining noises too.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
He got a hold of one of the kid's huge stuffed toys and started, for a lack of a better word, kneading it with his paws, making nursing sounds. He's turning into a strange animal all of a sudden. No More 3amers is all I ask.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Seems to happen in spurts with mine. She'll got a couple days with getting weird dreams, wake up all freaked out, then be fine for a few months. Maybe it's too much chocolate after bedtime
smile.png

smile.png

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
I'm racking my brain trying to think of anything that would have set this off. The only thing that is different is the weather. We were only joking about getting a new puppy hehehe.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with the dog, it'll either go away on it's own, or the dog will go crazy (pretty unlikely).

I mean, what triggers you to have dreams? Who the fuck knows? And who really knows what dogs are thinking about either. Be happy it's just dreams. German Shepherds have notoriously shitty stomachs. If mine's been outside for too long and starts eating twigs and grass and finding mice to gnaw on, she pukes at 3am. Happens with startling regularity.

Faris

Golden Squire
He! he's grown up in the last photo, maybe like 5-6 years old at that time. He just looks like that, because of the angle and the long fur.
Here is a pic of him as a pup.

rrr_img_4431.jpg

rrr_img_4431.jpg

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I need help/advice/ideas on what is happening with one of my dogs. He is a 6 yr old Border Collie/Lab mix and two weeks ago he was sleeping and then just stood up and started screaming and shaking. I held him until he stopped, which was approximately thirty seconds. I felt all along his body in order to locate where the pain was but he gave no indication of having any. I released him and he went off with the other dog as nothing happened. It happened again last night while he was on the bed next to me at 3am. Scared the crap out of everyone in the house. Again, he didn't seem to have any painful parts. I felt for stomach spasms, the whole nine yards. Again, thirty or so seconds he was fine and went back to sleep. No one else did, in fact he was pissed off that we all became active making him feel he had to get up as well.
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
I have seen dogs have seizures also, my oldest GSD was on Core Wellness, a pretty top tier Kibble and had 3-4 seizures on it before we wised up and switched her food again. Never had another one, but she was shaking, screaming, and couldn't stand up. Scared the wife to death when it happened.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've always wanted a French Bulldog. There's no breeders around me, so I can't even like just visit and see how the breed reacts, so I'm giving up on that for time indeterminate. Love dogs though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My neighbor's black lab has seizures as well. They mostly solved it by not feeding him peanut butter anymore, or at least they think that's what did it, so he may have had an allergy or something.

My Rottie dreams a lot, and every now and then in the middle of the night he will howl in his sleep, and he sounds like a fucking air raid siren. It's really deep, there is nothing high pitch or typical about it. Scares the shit out of me, then I laugh.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
A labrador/retriever mix. I think the mother was a pure Golden Retriever, while the father was a 50/50 lab/retriever.

This is shortly after I first got her, back July 2011.

Anyone know of any good books/articles on the dynamic between a puppy and an adult dog as the puppy grows and the relationship changes? Never paid any attention to that stuff before because I never had 2 dogs =P

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My parents have a Jack Russell. He suffers from terrible separation anxiety. My parents got him when he was only six weeks old. He is very uncomfortable when he leaves the house and freaks out when people leave. He is also extremely distrustful of anyone he's not familiar with who enters the home; barking, running away from them, hiding under cupboards and beds. He's just an overall nervous wreck of a dog. He's also extremely possessive. He'll growl like an asshole, not playful, if you take away something he has and gets pissed if you do something like make him get off the couch so you can sit down.

He's too far gone at this point. He's seven years old now and my parents have just waited too long to attempt to break him from this kind of behavior. Based on a suggestion from a co-worker, I checked out theThundershirt. The suggestion just came to me yesterday and I quickly did some online research and the results appear to be staggering - almost unbelievable. So I went ahead and bought it as a Christmas gift for my parents. Does anyone else here have any experience with these? Are they as magical as they sound?

Kirsie

Lord Nagafen Raider
For some dogs, thundershirts really seem to help, and for others, they don't. It's different for each dog. You can always give it a try - they do have a money back guarantee, as far as I know, and it certainly won't HURT to try it. Another idea may be a DAP diffuser (pheromone diffuser, not unlike a glade plug-in.) Again, though, works for some and not for others.

For what it's worth, I do own a thundershirt for my Rat Terrier, mostly for during fireworks on holidays, and it seems to work well for her. We chill in the house, put the thundershirt on her about an hour before the fireworks are supposed to start, and then just act like the fireworks are no big deal. Before trying the thundershirt, she would shiver and pace. Since we've had it, she pretty much just hangs out on the couch. It's obvious she can still HEAR the fireworks, as her ears twitch like she's listening, but she's no longer OVERLY nervous about them.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
My other dog (Tibetan Mastiff mix) suffered from seizures and I finally figured out that it was from Greenies. The other dog that I was asking about isn't howling he is outright screaming as though he has been hit by a car. When the other one tries to get near him in this state he growls and snaps at him which makes the other one pissed off so it's a real treat at three in the morning to wake to all that.
Ark, when ever I have introduced a new pup to the older dog I have learned that you must give them equal attention so the older dog doesn't feel slighted thus making the new pup the enemy. I've always had the experience of the older dog then taking care of the puppy. With these two the dynamic stayed with the older dog, although smaller, has remained top dog of the house. In fact he insists on it.

My parents have a Jack Russell. He suffers from terrible separation anxiety. My parents got him when he was only six weeks old. He is very uncomfortable when he leaves the house and freaks out when people leave. He is also extremely distrustful of anyone he's not familiar with who enters the home; barking, running away from them, hiding under cupboards and beds. He's just an overall nervous wreck of a dog. He's also extremely possessive. He'll growl like an asshole, not playful, if you take away something he has and gets pissed if you do something like make him get off the couch so you can sit down.

He's too far gone at this point. He's seven years old now and my parents have just waited too long to attempt to break him from this kind of behavior. Based on a suggestion from a co-worker, I checked out theThundershirt. The suggestion just came to me yesterday and I quickly did some online research and the results appear to be staggering - almost unbelievable. So I went ahead and bought it as a Christmas gift for my parents. Does anyone else here have any experience with these? Are they as magical as they sound?
You can really work on lessening any behavior no matter the age. They should start ignoring him before they leave and when they get home until he's calm.

The people aspect of it is more difficult.

He's also a Jack Russell is and is probably pretty wound. How much exercise does he get? I'm guessing little to none?