Doom: Eternal

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Pre-ordered regular edition on Amazon on Thursday, they shipped me the deluxe edition yesterday. It's awesome so far, but the complaints about constantly being out of ammo are legit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You need to chainsaw constantly. Which is kind of annoying when you have to fight shit like the god damn Marauder. He wooped my ass quite a bit on Nightmare as he's lightning fast and the best way to do dmg to him is point blank. Along with his stupid ass dog and the trash you need to keep getting ammo from.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
I also suggest the suit upgrade for explosive barrels to drop ammo and then the one where the barrels will respawn (once). Made a huge impact for me. (along with the constant chainsawing and not missing shots)

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
So once you unlock the Doom floppy discs and you can play DOOM on the computer you can actually go into your computers files and change the .wad to be any other .wad and it will run the doom mod in the computer lmfao

so that means

You can play Doom Mods in Doom inside Doom Eternal on a computer while on your computer

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trust that "review" as much as you would trust someone that only played to level 5 in EverQuest and then tried to give a fully-fledged opinion of the game. They just come off as clueless.

This is a progression based shooter, where you are getting vastly more powerful as you keep going. Everything changes as you progress and not just +gooder stats, but completely new abilities and variations on your weapons that let you approach enemies in different ways.

Right now, I will just say that the game is impressive. I need to finish it before I give a full opinion/review.
So the ammo problem will go away? because it certainly irritating as fuck in the first two chapters.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Anyone who beat it, better or worse than 2016? I watched a lot of streams and story and graphics wise much better but I had this thought that the gameplay was slightly worse

I'm not done with it, but significantly better. I know I suck Dooms dick cause I've been playing it for 90% of my lifetime but objectively speaking it beats the shit out of Doom 2016 in every way except you no longer have the ability to only use one weapon the entire game.

I do think ammo is extremely scarce, but that mostly affects the early game, if you're swapping weapons and prioritizing the appropriate targets with them (don't use a shotgun on the shields, etc) then resource management just becomes a background part of the game. A lot of upgrades do things like make your ice bomb kills drop health, or fire drops more armor at once, etc. You need to be using your entire kit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah I'm uhhh, not really feeling this game like I did the last one. Too many aesthetic changes that just make absolutely no sense.

Menus and the whole ammo drop concept are just too fucking colorful and over the top. We get it, Doom-Font looks nice, I don't want to fucking see it everywhere. I shouldn't see a fucking rainbow explosion of ammo when I chainsaw a demon in half. In Doom 2016 you took weapon upgrades from dead/mutilated corpses; here it's just floaty green weapon outlines put directly in the story path. Secret areas are marked with cartoonish gigantic ? icons you can spot from a mile away unless you're some kind of special retard.

Encountering a new enemy? Lets tell you it's entire weakspot in a cute pop-up window right before you fight it so you won't struggle. Enjoyed meleeing things down in the first game? Fuck you, melee attack is now completely worthless unless it's to do a Glory Kill or proc a Butcher Blast Punch or whatever.

The whole "rotation" i'm calling it that I have to go through so often is just tedious bullshit - blast until out of ammo, chainsaw to refill, repeat ad nauseam. Don't forget to set those enemies on fire with your Belcher, cause then when they die they drop a bunch of armor, because why?

I mean i'm gonna see it through, but meh I just don't see why they tried to fix something that clearly wasn't broken in the first place. I just wanted more of the 2016 type game, on Earth. Not this colorful gimmicky bullshit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I dislike the Extra-Lifes thing. So I have these extra lives that just make shit more convenient and not have to see a loading screen. But 99% of the time I burn up extra lives in hidden challenges that spawn mancubus and enemies right on top of you in an extremely tight area.

I don't mind the gameplay changes at it encourages you to use literally everything you have and constantly change tactics. But I do understand that if you are the type that likes to just stick to one weapon this would be extremely frustrating.

Having all secrets made visible to you on the map with a single suit upgrade makes collecting them way less interesting and just more of a chore to do on the map too.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm uhhh, not really feeling this game like I did the last one. Too many aesthetic changes that just make absolutely no sense.

Menus and the whole ammo drop concept are just too fucking colorful and over the top. We get it, Doom-Font looks nice, I don't want to fucking see it everywhere. I shouldn't see a fucking rainbow explosion of ammo when I chainsaw a demon in half. In Doom 2016 you took weapon upgrades from dead/mutilated corpses; here it's just floaty green weapon outlines put directly in the story path. Secret areas are marked with cartoonish gigantic ? icons you can spot from a mile away unless you're some kind of special retard.

Encountering a new enemy? Lets tell you it's entire weakspot in a cute pop-up window right before you fight it so you won't struggle. Enjoyed meleeing things down in the first game? Fuck you, melee attack is now completely worthless unless it's to do a Glory Kill or proc a Butcher Blast Punch or whatever.

The whole "rotation" i'm calling it that I have to go through so often is just tedious bullshit - blast until out of ammo, chainsaw to refill, repeat ad nauseam. Don't forget to set those enemies on fire with your Belcher, cause then when they die they drop a bunch of armor, because why?

I mean i'm gonna see it through, but meh I just don't see why they tried to fix something that clearly wasn't broken in the first place. I just wanted more of the 2016 type game, on Earth. Not this colorful gimmicky bullshit.

Good review.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I dislike the Extra-Lifes thing. So I have these extra lives that just make shit more convenient and not have to see a loading screen. But 99% of the time I burn up extra lives in hidden challenges that spawn mancubus and enemies right on top of you in an extremely tight area.

I don't mind the gameplay changes at it encourages you to use literally everything you have and constantly change tactics. But I do understand that if you are the type that likes to just stick to one weapon this would be extremely frustrating.

Miss you. (Not gay)

xzi

Mouthbreather
That's a fair complaint about it being bright and arcadey if it's your preference then there's no changing that, I personally put it in the very back of my mind and don't care because it's all there to be peripheral 90% of the time short of the new weapons or the 1ups. I don't have to search for ammo, it's bright as fuck in the corner of my screen I know where it is during combat.

For how many options they have in the UI/menus (to turn off hints and shit btw) I'm surprised they didn't have an option to not make everything neon colored.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
To be fair it has been proven what, 900 thousand bajillion times that DRM doesn't work and instead hurts the consumer? It's just a shame that it seems like an accident.

also gotta say.. the super shotgun hook mastery that sets demons on fire is insane

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
15 second secret encounters are FUCKING STUPID WHEN YOUR GLORY KILLS TAKE THREE SECONDS GEIGHEIASGHNEIASNVCEABVCEF

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
15 second secret encounters are FUCKING STUPID WHEN YOUR GLORY KILLS TAKE THREE SECONDS GEIGHEIASGHNEIASNVCEABVCEF

Which is why you pretty much need the faster glory kill rune on at all times. Along with the timeslow jump attack and... well whatever else you want after those two.

It also makes me salty that failing the challenge doesn't reset your ammo so you then have to devote multiple attempts to getting more ammo. Then actually trying after that. The only one I noped out of was the one where you had 30 seconds to kill a Beholder, the bigger Beholder and an Arachnotron who was across a massive chasm.

That one was fucking stupid.

Salshun

Silver Knight of the Realm
The fuck is this?

doomicon.jpg

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Agree with this review 100%.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like