Dresden Files

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Get that audio book and pace yourself, bud. Let Marstars be your guide.

I can't do audiobooks. I have no problems just sitting and reading. However when I listen to an audiobook my ADD kicks in and I have to do something else and I end up not paying attention to the story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I can't do audiobooks. I have no problems just sitting and reading. However when I listen to an audiobook my ADD kicks in and I have to do something else and I end up not paying attention to the story.
I feel you. I only listen to them while driving, doing yard work and going to bed.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well, this is a convoluted awful fucking mess so far and I don't like any of it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well, this is a convoluted awful fucking mess so far and I don't like any of it.
What’s convoluted about it? I’m about halfway through and it all seems like a standard Dresden book to me.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just finished it, as far as quality goes it seems just as good as the rest of his most recent books. The problem is that it is half a book. Most of his books seem to have a self contained plot and an overarching plot. The self contained plot usually starts and ends in the book, usually doing some level of advancing of the overall plot in the process. This book starts a plot and ends before the main action even happens.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Just finished it, as far as quality goes it seems just as good as the rest of his most recent books. The problem is that it is half a book. Most of his books seem to have a self contained plot and an overarching plot. The self contained plot usually starts and ends in the book, usually doing some level of advancing of the overall plot in the process. This book starts a plot and ends before the main action even happens.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the 2 book release. He broke up one book into two. This was like the first act of a full novel. Otherwise i liked it so far. Like you said, on par with previous past novels. Just sucks that we waited 6 god damn years and all we got was some over the clothes foreplay.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This is exactly what I thought when I saw the 2 book release. He broke up one book into two. This was like the first act of a full novel. Otherwise i liked it so far. Like you said, on par with previous past novels. Just sucks that we waited 6 god damn years and all we got was some over the clothes foreplay.
The more I think about it the more I’m pretty sure he had a slightly longer than normal book and it was split in half and he had to write a bit of filler for it to be considered a book. This book could have easily been under 200 pages and the reader wouldn’t have been missing anything. There’s too much rehashing of shit for such a short book.

Also, for the book being called Peace Talks it spent very little time actually discussing the Peace Talk

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The more I think about it the more I’m pretty sure he had a slightly longer than normal book and it was split in half and he had to write a bit of filler for it to be considered a book. This book could have easily been under 200 pages and the reader wouldn’t have been missing anything. There’s too much rehashing of shit for such a short book.

Also, for the book being called Peace Talks it spent very little time actually discussing the Peace Talk

To be fair. He rehashes a lot in all his books. I know it's so he can give reminders to readers and to give a new reader some idea of what is going on. However, at book 16 I think he could tone down that shit a bit now.

As for the actual peace talks:
It felt like it was there more as the backdrop of rescuing Thomas and having the big wtf at the end.

Rime

<Donor>
It was a nice sip of water, when I wanted a glass.

Hoping that Battle Grounds is more fleshed out - and it should be, given that it is probably true that the two were one book that was split into two.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Got it. Slammed it. Want more.

I think Justine is the one who is going to stab Harry in the back.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got it. Slammed it. Want more.

I think Justine is the one who is going to stab Harry in the back.

I hope the reason for Thomas' idiocy is actually solid. So far there's absolutely nothing to point to it not being fairly harebrained. I wonder what the threat actually was?

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Do the Fomor seem like a tacked on, mudflation villain?

They've been around for a few books as more background villains and shit. They have been active but Harry hasn't ran into them much yet. Also this book references stuff from the Side Jobs and Brief Cases stories where there is more Fomor stuff there.

The Fomor working with the Black Council and the Outsiders was the big revelation here.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Do the Fomor seem like a tacked on, mudflation villain?

My problem with the Fomor since their introduction has been that it's never clear why they waited until the Red Court's demise until they started doing shit. It makes perfect sense that the Red Court was massive and them being dead created a huge power vacuum. But the majority of their power was in South America and Latin America. They just had so many vampires and so much under their control that it leaked across the globe. Over on to Bianca in Chicago.

They've never really built on the Fomor other than that they're vying for power. Ok, so what? Get in fucking line. What stopped them before? Red Court SCUBA divers? Over the course of the series lots of retards have made stupid bargains with supernatural entities. That isn't unique to the Fomor.

Now we find that the Fomor have some antagonism with the Sidhe courts and the Tylwyth Teg. Their alliance with the Titan, Outsiders and the Black Council seems to be one of convenience.