Dune (2020)

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Substantive criticism from a guy who might as well be the fucking poster child for edgelords? Razorfist is literally Captain Edgelord. He's perpetually stuck in the fuckin' 1993 emo scene. Any adult male who wears fucking leather gloves unironically is Commander of fucking cringe. He's basically trying as hard as he can to be the American version of Yahtzee.

"Hurrrr durrrrr I'll string a bunch of word vomit with curse words together really quickly for 15 minutes and then raise my voice on the punchlines! I'll do this in black and white, with sunglasses and leather gloves on, indoors, while rocking a hair metal cut that went out of style 40 years ago and shitty ass posters can liter my wall likes it's 1986. Hell, we could even open and close the show to some edgy hair metal too!! Because that's how edgy I fuckin' am!!!!".

I'm fine with people thinking BR2049 was shit, especially if you weren't a big fan of the original. There are plenty of things to hate about BR and BR2049. The movies, to me, were always more about the atmosphere and cinematography though. The dialogue, "story", etc. always came second. That's why it's an especially shitty take to throw shade at the score when that's probably the 1st or 2nd best part of 2049. Hell, it's the same in the first movie too.
So any opinions from someone with what you consider wardrobe issues is automatically disqualified? Huh, I guess all of Furry Furry 's posts are automatically crap due to the fursuit.
Wait... that's actually true.

That doesn't change my opinion on BR2049 though. I'd go into more depth about it but I'd have to go rewatch it to remember all the finer points about what happened and I'm not willing to watch a movie merely to shit on it. Also, the post I was replying to was someone who couldn't fathom that a fan of the original would hate the sequel, of which I provided an example. See Razorfist's hour long breakdown vid of the original for evidence, it's quite good. Points I agree with Razorfist on 2049:

It isn't noir, at all. Huge points against as the original is a standout of the genre.​
It didn't need to be made. Sequels that take more than about 4 years to make are almost uniformly a bad idea and a sign that it's just a studio cash grab and pointless.​
Jared Leto is a waste of skin. Fight Club is automatically elevated because he's beaten to within an inch of his life in it. Sadly that didn't take.​
The plot is total nonsense nihilistic hot garbage.​
The dialogue is worse than the plot.​
Holograms are fucking stupid. Asking me to sympathize with a robot who 'falls in love' with a hologram who is apparently smarter than he is is insulting.​
Robin Wright is almost uniformly annoying in everything she appears in with a few exceptions here and there.​
The main villainess chick is the standard '100lb waif who kicks the shit out of everyone' trope which I hate, combined with the soulless robot trope. Not exactly a compelling antagonist.​

Points I disagree:
The music was fine but nothing special and I generally like Hans Zimmer a lot.​
He doesn't like Gosling, I generally find him likeable though NOT a particularly talented actor.​

ANYWAY though, since this is the Dune thread and not the 'anyone who disagrees with my obviously correct opinion on a movie must be either an edgelord or trolling' thread, I'll leave 2049 alone from here. But I am fully justified in finding Villanueve a hack based on this, and many of the things I've listed in fact point to him as being a studio stooge that is entirely willing to push all of the modern sins of 're-imagining' classic IP's in the name of wokeness. See the visuals of the Harkonnens as white devils, making Liet-Kynes a woman for no reason, and now apparently Lady Jessica is going to be a warrior rather than a savvy operator?? What a joke.

All of this sentiment about 'ooh, you couldn't make some of the [subject matter X] in current year' is horseshit. You absolutely could, they just won't because whatever they happen to talk about violates the current narrative. If you did Dune right with say, a 10 episode series that is faithful to the material in every meaningful way and then released it on one of the streaming services it would be a massive hit. You wouldn't need to dumb it down from the books if you just added in a few action scenes that are merely glossed over in the books. The thing about idiots is they don't care if there are intelligent aspects of an IP as long as they are catered to with their popcorn action scenes (and maybe some titties a la Game of Thrones) to some extent.

I mean, I may be a cynical asshole, but all signs point to my cynicism being entirely justified when it comes to this movie.

• 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Spotlight
Reactions: 3 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
It isn't noir, at all. Huge points against as the original is a standout of the genre.​
It didn't need to be made. Sequels that take more than about 4 years to make are almost uniformly a bad idea and a sign that it's just a studio cash grab and pointless.​
Jared Leto is a waste of skin. Fight Club is automatically elevated because he's beaten to within an inch of his life in it. Sadly that didn't take.​
Holograms are fucking stupid. Asking me to sympathize with a robot who 'falls in love' with a hologram who is apparently smarter than he is is insulting.​
Robin Wright is almost uniformly annoying in everything she appears in with a few exceptions here and there.​
The main villainess chick is the standard '100lb waif who kicks the shit out of everyone' trope which I hate, combined with the soulless robot trope. Not exactly a compelling antagonist.​

So shift in tone, unnecessary additional actors cast against type, nonsensical plot with bad, clichee dialogue and villain? So basically it fits right into the tradition of Aliens, T2, Empire Strikes Back, etc..

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I will agree that it definitely isn't as noir as the first film, but I think the overall atmosphere and visuals/tone still fit well. It was internally consistent with the previous film, even if it lacked a bit of "noir" undertones.

I tend to agree on the sequel stuff and would even agree 2049 didn't "need to be made", but that's also because sequels in general tend to be shitty across the board. Whether they are made very shortly after, or whether they take years. I was skeptical of this movie at first as well, but like I said, if not for Rutger Hauer, the first movie is pretty dogshit aside from the atmosphere, cinematography, score, etc.

I agree on Leto, but I think the dude also gets a lot of shit because of his Joker performance. He was solid in Lord of War and for some reason, I actually liked his cringe acting in 2049. For some odd reason, I feel like it "fit".

The hologram love shit I agree with you and it is probably my least favorite part of the movie. Honestly, they could've removed all of that and the movie would've been better for it.

The main villain girl I would agree as being stupid in a "modern day" world, but in a universe with robots and cybernetic enhancements, I have less of a problem with 100lb. females "kicking ass".

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Great reply to substative criticism. Go fuck a hologram in a tranny-body, it might set your eyes right.
Jokes on you, buddy. I'll happily fuck a hooker with Ana de Armas projected onto her.

As for the original BR discussions. It's not a "great" movie, but it's an important one.

Had people who loved BR2049 and I expected them to hate it. Then I had some friends who I watched it with and they spent the first half-hour of the movie completely on their phones, and then at the end just said "it was ok" (no duh dumbasd, you looked up twice - which is also a knock in it's pacing).

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
BR2049 wasn't terrible. It was a decent Blade Runner movie. There were some missed opportunities for sure.

That said, Dune, I am sure will be visually very nice, and not a terrible movie. I imagine the deviations from the book will be the primary issue. Lynches movie is still very watchable.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
So shift in tone, unnecessary additional actors cast against type, nonsensical plot with bad, clichee dialogue and villain? So basically it fits right into the tradition of Aliens, T2, Empire Strikes Back, etc..

It is now safe to assume that any posts you make about movies can be completely dismissed.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The hologram love shit I agree with you and it is probably my least favorite part of the movie. Honestly, they could've removed all of that and the movie would've been better for it.

Denis said he had two movies, and was inferred around the time that hologram was introduced there was a ton of things he cut to get the runtime down. Maybe someday he'll drop a 4 hour cut and we can see if it makes sense to keep those scenes. It's been so many years I forget where the branch is for the second movie, but I know it's been confirmed there was enough cut for another movie.

It could just have been a JarJar Abrams style excuse for the poor final cut. "They made me slam 2 movies together" which is an industry standard excuse. If he drops the director's cut, we'll see.

The studio was still pissed with the final cut of BR2049, calling it an art house flick with a blockbuster budget.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just saw the trailer for this. Might be the only movie I actually want to watch right now!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
So any opinions from someone with what you consider wardrobe issues is automatically disqualified? Huh, I guess all of Furry Furry 's posts are automatically crap due to the fursuit.
Wait... that's actually true.

That doesn't change my opinion on BR2049 though. I'd go into more depth about it but I'd have to go rewatch it to remember all the finer points about what happened and I'm not willing to watch a movie merely to shit on it. Also, the post I was replying to was someone who couldn't fathom that a fan of the original would hate the sequel, of which I provided an example. See Razorfist's hour long breakdown vid of the original for evidence, it's quite good. Points I agree with Razorfist on 2049:

Points I disagree:
The music was fine but nothing special and I generally like Hans Zimmer a lot.​
He doesn't like Gosling, I generally find him likeable though NOT a particularly talented actor.​

ANYWAY though, since this is the Dune thread and not the 'anyone who disagrees with my obviously correct opinion on a movie must be either an edgelord or trolling' thread, I'll leave 2049 alone from here. But I am fully justified in finding Villanueve a hack based on this, and many of the things I've listed in fact point to him as being a studio stooge that is entirely willing to push all of the modern sins of 're-imagining' classic IP's in the name of wokeness. See the visuals of the Harkonnens as white devils, making Liet-Kynes a woman for no reason, and now apparently Lady Jessica is going to be a warrior rather than a savvy operator?? What a joke.

All of this sentiment about 'ooh, you couldn't make some of the [subject matter X] in current year' is horseshit. You absolutely could, they just won't because whatever they happen to talk about violates the current narrative. If you did Dune right with say, a 10 episode series that is faithful to the material in every meaningful way and then released it on one of the streaming services it would be a massive hit. You wouldn't need to dumb it down from the books if you just added in a few action scenes that are merely glossed over in the books. The thing about idiots is they don't care if there are intelligent aspects of an IP as long as they are catered to with their popcorn action scenes (and maybe some titties a la Game of Thrones) to some extent.

I mean, I may be a cynical asshole, but all signs point to my cynicism being entirely justified when it comes to this movie.

Good post and I liked BR2049 ok. I think Villeneuve gets so much love because he's at least somewhat competent unlike the vast majority of his peers. I'm not impressed with his reimagining of an amazing literary achievement but the movie looks good so far. Hollywood has done a fantastic job of lowering my expectations the past 20 years so it wasn't that hard.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good for Zendaya. Chani is not the fucking protagonist. Hell by the end of the first book she isn't even the mother of his child anymore.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe Denis is trolling Hollywood lol.

If he deviates from the writing then that's retarded. Why change the second half if you stood true to the first.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I see $$$ not leaving my wallet.
After all, his movies had always been a huge commercial success, he clearly doesn't need it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like