Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We played Mechwarrior and Cyberpunk as our more serious games. D&D was our fun loose game and we played Paranoia for when we just wanted to fuck around.

Heh! Paranoia was a awesome game.

You just unlocked a dump of everything I used to play in my head. AD&D, Star Trek, Star Wars, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, Earthdawn, Marvel Superheroes, DC Heroes, Recon, Torg, MERP, Elfquest, Buck Rogers, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Vampire the Masquerade, Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer, Palladium, Chill, Toon, TMNT, GURPS, Robotech, Living Steel, and RIFTS.

Have at thee!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That's how I feel about the sword from Highlander: The Series. ...which I do now have!

View attachment 465017

Anyway I should probably see this D&D movie since I'm on the Great CRPG Fest. Maybe go back and see the old ones too? IDK. The one with Jeremy Irons looked pretty bad. So maybe not.
Since you brought this up, I did end up buying Stormbringer too. I posted about it in the Shit You Just Bought thread a couple years ago. It isn't done yet, maybe by the end of this year. Fingers crossed!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’ve always thought The Belgariad would be incredibly easy to adapt to screens. Was my first fantasy series I read and got me into the genre.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230322_170722.jpg

Prydain Chronicles. Got the whole set in the rare first-edition. This might stir up a few memories for people who were schoolkids in the 90's.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
HEH 90's school kids, off by a decade or two for a lot of us.....i think most of us here are mid 40's thru mid to late 50's

i have to dbl check but i am pretty sure i still have my Fiend Folio from AD&D that has Elric in it.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
More of a late 80s/very early 90s thing, they were written in the 60s but iirc weren't particularly well known or successful until Disney turned one of them into a terrible movie in 85.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
HEH 90's school kids, off by a decade or two for a lot of us.....i think most of us here are mid 40's thru mid to late 50's

i have to dbl check but i am pretty sure i still have my Fiend Folio from AD&D that has Elric in it.
I graduated HS in 99

• 3Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
More of a late 80s/very early 90s thing, they were written in the 60s but iirc weren't particularly well known or successful until Disney turned one of them into a terrible movie in 85.

Yeah, it occurred to me after the fact that these books are from the 60's, so people who grew up in the 70's and 80's might also know them. You're right that they didn't gain any major prominence until after the Disney movie though.

It's a damn crime that Black Cauldron in cartoon form is the only thing from this series to get any kind of screen adaptation ever. This could easily be five movies, maybe even five seasons of a show if paced out correctly (IIRC Books 3 and 4 are shorter while 2 and 5 are long and 1 is medium, so their lengths are all over the place).

Originally I think it was supposed to be a 3 book series, and the publisher wanted more or something, so Lloyd Alexander ended up adding books 3 and 4 to the story when he had already written some of the last book (which then became 5). Might explain the length differences, and why books 3 and 4 seem more like side-stories (really good ones). TBH Books 2 and 5 could probably be two seasons each to give us an even 7.

I don't know why I'm even talking about it though, not like it's happening. All things are possible though, lesser-known serieses than this have gotten adapted to shows over time.

Oh, and another issue: One of the two main characters, the girl, is a redhead. Her most defining characteristic, as a matter of fact, is her long "red-gold hair" and how it reflects her fiery personality. Lloyd Alexander was very specific about this.

...so Amazon or whoever would absolutely, 100%, cast her with someone who looks nothing like that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh, and another issue: One of the two main characters, the girl, is a redhead. Her most defining characteristic, as a matter of fact, is her long "red-gold hair" and how it reflects her fiery personality. Lloyd Alexander was very specific about this.

...so Amazon or whoever would absolutely, 100%, cast her with someone who looks nothing like that.
They didn't even keep her as a redhead back in 85, she'd stand no chance today.

• 1WTF

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fiend Folio was my first hard back D&D book. Was too young at the time to understand basic and advanced version of D&D weren’t compatible.

So I upgraded and started collecting/stealing the DM Guide, Players Handbook, Monster Manual etc.

I eventually found a group of people to play with in middle school and I’ve remained close friends with two of those guys ever since.

I’m seeing this goofy ass movie with those same two dudes on the 31st.

• 3Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fiend Folio was my first hard back D&D book. Was too young at the time to understand basic and advanced version of D&D weren’t compatible.

So I upgraded and started collecting/stealing the DM Guide, Players Handbook, Monster Manual etc.

I eventually found a group of people to play with in middle school and I’ve remained close friends with two of those guys ever since.

I’m seeing this goofy ass movie with those same two dudes on the 31st.

I've got Fiend Folio, Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, and Deities and Demigods. Four incredible bestiarys for monster enthusiasts. As a kid they got my imagination going like nothing else and probably played a huge role in later getting me into RPGs and general fantasy video games.

Also have the original Player's Handbook and Oriental Adventures, but I'm nowhere near as attached to those two. Might sell 'em eventually for like $150 each or something. I feel like Oriental Adventures is one of those things that'll get banned/memory holed and suddenly be unavailable everywhere though. It's such an old book that I'm probably being paranoid over nothing though.

If I remember, tomorrow I'll go to my mom's place and see if I can take pictures of the books and all the AD&D modules I've got. Gotta find them first. Had a huge pile of them, probably worth thousands of bucks now. Would be cool to just get them out and look through them at this point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've got Fiend Folio, Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, and Deities and Demigods. Four incredible bestiarys for monster enthusiasts. As a kid they got my imagination going like nothing else and probably played a huge role in later getting me into RPGs and general fantasy video games.

Also have the original Player's Handbook and Oriental Adventures, but I'm nowhere near as attached to those two. Might sell 'em eventually for like $150 each or something. I feel like Oriental Adventures is one of those things that'll get banned/memory holed and suddenly be unavailable everywhere though. It's such an old book that I'm probably being paranoid over nothing though.

If I remember, tomorrow I'll go to my mom's place and see if I can take pictures of the books and all the AD&D modules I've got. Gotta find them first. Had a huge pile of them, probably worth thousands of bucks now. Would be cool to just get them out and look through them at this point.
Take some pictures of that loot. Let’s get nerdy.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Akshually, it is Deities and Demigods that has Elric in it. Because it has all those gods, Arioch, Xiombarg, Donblas the Justice Bringer, etc.

Of course, I gave all of mine to some friend's kid back in the 00's and he threw them away.

Before Blood for the Blood God there was Blood and souls for my lord Arioch!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users