Dying Light 2

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I heard about the Denuvo thing as well. If there's one thing that will actively make me got out and seek the game on the high seas as opposed to paying for it, it's that.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Liking it less and less the more I play it. Everything feels like a step down from the state Dying Light is in now.

The revised weapon system is like playing Breath of the Wild again, mostly because they absolutely gutted the crafting system for the sequel. Far as I can tell you can't craft weapons at all, so you're completely at the mercy of whatever you happen to find (or get desperate enough to spend your very limited currency on). You can't even repair them once either, let alone multiple times like in the first game. Mods are gimped to hell too, since 1) most weapons don't even have mod slots, 2) the ones that do generally only have shaft and tip slots, and 3) only the grip slot is actually of much value, and so far I've only seen it on the DLC weapons (more on those in a second). It's possible 'artifact' tier weapons have a grip slot too, but I've never had one drop or seen one for sale. DLC weapons are supposed to scale with your level and be re-buyable every 90 minutes or so, but that doesn't actually seem to work for most people (definitely does not work for me on Series X). Even if it did work, having the only reliable source of good weapons be from preorder and deluxe edition DLC is fucking bullshit anyway. Oh, and the reason only having shaft/tip slots sucks is because those mods now only proc on crits and crits seem like the typical 5% or so base chance and so far I've seen no way to increase it. Waste of mats imo. Grip is great though. It's a flat +4 dmg increase, which increases to 8, 12, 16, etc. as you continue to upgrade it... making those DLC weapons which already scale with your level extremely powerful if you just place a cheap mod on them. Except, you know, that the stash->extras re-buy doesn't actually work.

They've completely flipped the day/night bias around. It's basically pointless to play the game during daytime now; you might as well just sleep til dusk every time the sun comes up. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to fill every indoor area with volatiles all day long, but just have generic 'sleeping' zombies and virals in there at night which are completely trivial to avoid/stealth takedown. Infection is a problem, but if you hoard your shrooms and advance the story to the point where you can craft Immunity Boosters you should be able to clear out just about any of the indoor spots. The biggest risk is getting caught inside when dawn hits, because suddenly all the dumb zombies despawn and the place is crawling with volatiles. The only things worth doing during the day are windmills and clearing out convoys.

Progression feels super slow too. Despite playing all day yesterday I'm still only a little bit into rank 2 and parkour is frustrating because I still have so many things to unlock. And I don't like feeling like I *must* put all my inhibitors into stamina because windmills are designed so that you need X amount of stamina to be able to climb to the top.

Don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other on the choice system yet. I've been trying to stay on the fence to see how far you can push it before you have to make a permanent decision. Mostly because ACG was talking about how one faction will build a bunch of handy parkour assistance stuff if you give them control while the other places weaponry and stuff around the zone. I'm pretty sure I want the parkour stuff, but I'm not 100% on that, and also I don't know which group is which bonuses yet.
Why are the people who make video games so fucking stupid? All they had to do was just change the fucking location. Holy. Shit.

Having volatiles indoors during the day makes sense since they'd technically be out and about at night, though. But, the despawning mechanic is basically just as dumb as the police mechanics in Cyberpunk.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Haven't played at all, but watch about 30 hours (some in the background at work or while I game). I could see all these complaints as valid but not nearly as dramatic as people are making them out to be. Eventually you get tons of weapons with mod slots. It doesn't take too many points for parkour to feel decent it seems.

Most of the complaints seem to be "I want all the good stuff now".

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Haven't played at all, but watch about 30 hours (some in the background at work or while I game). I could see all these complaints as valid but not nearly as dramatic as people are making them out to be. Eventually you get tons of weapons with mod slots. It doesn't take too many points for parkour to feel decent it seems.

Most of the complaints seem to be "I want all the good stuff now".
Its not that I want the good stuff it is what you start with just feels bad, I want it to not feel bad.

I am now 8 hours in, I have main lined the main story and just now have 2 points in combat, 2 points in parkour and that should have been the base level. Feels OK now.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Glad I still have dl1 to play. Have it on Xbox or Pc. Let’s get some coop action going! Haha

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm easy to please on these open world games, and loved DL1. This looks gorgeous on my PC with raytracing on for all but shadows/sun (3080, etc), but the physics are all wonky, unsatisfying and just less than DL1. Kicking zombies off cliffs lacks any and all animations, they just airwalk and die.

I crash 100% of the time if I stare at the skills screen for more than 5 seconds, and I lose a ton of progress because as far as I can tell there's no manual save button. People are apparently getting stuck in game if they die near certain safe houses that haven't been unlocked yet, and with just 1 save game their entire run is fucked. Might be worth waiting.

My gray melee weapons break in record time, I'm having Zelda flashbacks and hate that goddamn tissue paper weapon BS. Hey at least I can pickup human enemy weapons when they drop it right? One bandit beating up my informant had a cool looking weapon, but apparently it's too hot for me to pick up when I kill him. NOT a fan of that.

I'm not far in at all so take my comments with a grain of salt or 10. I enjoyed DL1 and the expansions so much that for the first time in my gaming history I bought the $100 version, because hey it's cheaper in the long run! But I just requested a steam refund.

Last edited:

Vorph

A few corrections on the crafting stuff I posted earlier:

Artifact tier weapons do indeed have 3 slots just like the DLC weapons. I have to wonder if I'm screwing myself when I pick them up now though, since everything else in the GRE buildings (the dark green ones placed in the middle of streets, usually near convoy spots) respawns each day but so far I have not seen a weapon respawn at all.

There are other types of tip/shaft mods besides the crit ones. They aren't all that great either though, instead of proc'ing on a crit it takes X (like 24 to start, and upgrades reduce it I think) number of hits to charge the element and then you can release it with a power attack (hold R2).

There actually is a limited repair feature. Each time you apply a mod it heals 50 durability. Kind of annoying though, since that means you should use the plain weapon until it loses 50, then put the first mod on, use 50 more, put second mod on, use 50 more, put final mod on. Note that you once you apply a mod to a slot it's permanent, so don't think you're going to mod it over and over to repair 50x3 durability whenever you like.

The flat damage mod for grip is actually 4/8/12/18/etc. so it's even better than I thought.

------------------------------------
Regarding faction bonuses for assigning facilities ... there's 7 bonuses for each faction and exactly 7 facilities to assign to them. Survivors give traversal stuff (limited usefulness once you have grappling hook and paraglider, aside from the fans that give you lift for the glider?) and PK gives the shit to kill infected along with a crossbow from bonus #4 which is apparently the best weapon in the game. If you care about achievements or trophies, pick one faction and stick with them. If you don't you could do something like 3 to survivors for ziplines, airbags, and landing bags and give the other 4 to PKs so that you get the xbow along with car bombs, razor cannons, and electric traps.

From what I'm seeing the choices you make in the story and the way you assign the facilities/zones are completely unrelated. You can assign everything to PKs while siding with the survivors at every story choice or vice versa and nobody bats an eye.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm sitting at 111 minutes played, any more troubleshooting and I'll go over the 2 hour limit for an (easy) refund. But the more I read the more this sounds like a beautiful chore than a fun game. You have 6 minutes at night before you insta die? I wanted to explore, and really loved the night only missions in the first one.

Anyone know if that eventually goes away?

Vorph

I'm sitting at 111 minutes played, any more troubleshooting and I'll go over the 2 hour limit for an (easy) refund. But the more I read the more this sounds like a beautiful chore than a fun game. You have 6 minutes at night before you insta die? I wanted to explore, and really loved the night only missions in the first one.

Anyone know if that eventually goes away?
Timer goes up every time you use inhibitors to raise hp/stamina. Plus like I mentioned before, you can get a recipe to craft immunity boosters by progressing through the story. After a few upgrades, mine give back 50% of my timer and I now craft two at a time. Considering they only cost a couple shrooms and some other super common material, it's not a big deal to just use them whenever you are low and not near a UV light.

--------------------------------
Unrelated, but has anyone who watched twitch streams or claimed the weapon from techlandgg.com actually received the rewards in game? Been 2+ days waiting on each for me now....

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Timer goes up every time you use inhibitors to raise hp/stamina. Plus like I mentioned before, you can get a recipe to craft immunity boosters by progressing through the story. After a few upgrades, mine give back 50% of my timer and I now craft two at a time. Considering they only cost a couple shrooms and some other super common material, it's not a big deal to just use them whenever you are low and not near a UV light.

--------------------------------
Unrelated, but has anyone who watched twitch streams or claimed the weapon from techlandgg.com actually received the rewards in game? Been 2+ days waiting on each for me now....

Haven't seen the few streamers I've watched be able to get their drops/pre-order rewards. This twitter post hasn't been updated from what I can see.

Bug fixes.JPG

Vorph

Haven't seen the few streamers I've watched be able to get their drops/pre-order rewards. This twitter post hasn't been updated from what I can see.
Preorder stuff works fine the first time. Some people are able to redeem them over and over (90 min timer) but most seem to have the same bug I do. I hold down X and the circle fills but doesn't actually give me the weapon again. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DLC, still no luck.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
This cracks me up. Whoever asked why game developers are so fucking stupid earlier in the thread was exactly right. It has to be justifying a paycheck. All they had to do was make DL1 again, but bigger with new weapons and new crafts. Then they needed to make night missions so rewarding that it didn't make sense to skip the night entirely. Finally they needed to add new monsters and make parkour even more badass. That should have taken a decent sized team 18 to 24 months. Game developers are literally retarded.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I heard about the Denuvo thing as well. If there's one thing that will actively make me got out and seek the game on the high seas as opposed to paying for it, it's that.
*note

just for shits and giggles, denuvo is pretty tough

HOWEVER, it has been cracked by EMPRESS, so...

if you were looking for a game that has denuvo
4942dfceca42b5a0d2b135070ea60b89.png

it won't be a perfect game, they'll be glitches and shit (cuz of the call backs to server that were omitted)

Fucker

Log Wizard
This cracks me up. Whoever asked why game developers are so fucking stupid earlier in the thread was exactly right. It has to be justifying a paycheck. All they had to do was make DL1 again, but bigger with new weapons and new crafts. Then they needed to make night missions so rewarding that it didn't make sense to skip the night entirely. Finally they needed to add new monsters and make parkour even more badass. That should have taken a decent sized team 18 to 24 months. Game developers are literally retarded.
Same thing with Far Cry 6. They dumbed it down so much, they removed any motivation to play the game. They removed skill tree and weapon upgrades. It is possible to finish the game with the rifle you get at the start.

These guys making sprint a skill make me lol.

Makes me wonder what happened to all the talented game designers.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Played a good 10 hours.

- parkour mechanics don't seem to have evolved from DL1.
- at the start of the game your character is extremely weak, both in combat and in parkour
- not being able to repair weapons
- resources for crafteables are either excessive or absent - often find myself crafting 3-4 medicine, only to go through a 45 minute streak of gameplay without finding mats for a single one
- graphics on PS5 performance mode can be terrible at (rare) times, was watching some car wrecks from like 200 meter distance, they looked A LOT worse then unmodded GTA3 car models - guessing this is across all platforms?
- the story is all over the place
- most mainline quests are structured like this: NPC A gives you a quest to find a new NPC B, which then gives you a quest so you can find new NPC C, which has his own quest so you can find yet another NPC, I don't care about any of these people since you only end up seeing them once or twice
- zombies get stuck at points in the map which lead to a transition to another area, this is extremely obvious and kills my immersion, though (on the upside?) it can be exploited

Overall I'm still really enjoying the game, the setting is great and DL1 parkour is fine despite feeling old, which it is. Haven't had a single crash either.

7/10, recommend the game but it won't be for everyone. It isn't a nex-gen game, it is just more DL1.

• 2Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
oh I also found out why Arrayayayarsrsar is missing:

1644056680724.png

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
How is the durability on weapons? Are we talking Breath of the wind kind of fucked up crap, or is it at least 5-6 hours of use per item?

I dont mind stuff breaking (tho how the hell you "break" a crowbar smashing skulls is rediculous) but dragging around a golfbag of stuff to take a stroll though a neighbourhood is a "fuck no" for me.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
How is the durability on weapons? Are we talking Breath of the wind kind of fucked up crap, or is it at least 5-6 hours of use per item?

I dont mind stuff breaking (tho how the hell you "break" a crowbar smashing skulls is rediculous) but dragging around a golfbag of stuff to take a stroll though a neighbourhood is a "fuck no" for me.
Taken from reddit -

Melee weapons have a certain durability value/threshold (depending on their rarity). Mods, regardless of rarity, will repair +50 durability. However:
  • You can only add certain mods if a weapon has those sockets (i.e., grip mod if it has a grip socket). Some weapons might have three sockets (yay!) while others won't have any at all (boo!).
  • You can only apply one mod per slot, which means you can't keep repairing weapons by replacing mods over and over.
  • Mods will not repair durability over the max threshold.
  • There's a grip mod that lowers durability loss per hit. This can be upgraded to completely negate durability loss by 100%. But I don't think it works properly according to the tooltip.
  • Ranged weapons don't use the durability mechanic. You just need to keep crafting arrows/bolts. The arrows/bolts have their own elemental effects.
Examples:
  • Weapon 1 = Currently has 83/210 durability. If I apply a mod, it gives +50 durability regardless of rarity (so it'd be 133/210 once you apply that).
  • Weapon 2 = Currently has 202/210 durability. The +50 durability from a mod is wasted since it's not going above 210. Basically, if you want to keep a weapon for longer periods, you'd want to only add a mod if it's already lost (at least) 50 durability.

So if you're reading this and thinking "I should use my 210/210 durability before applying my mods, thus gimping myself for a bit to extend the durability" then yes you're right. Not terrible. Not great. From what I've seen, 10ish hours in you get plenty of cool items you won't want to get stuck using one weapon for very long.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users