EQ: Elder Dragons, Heart of Heroes. Made to stay, made for heroes!

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looks like they're patching in the fix right now. Hopefully will be resolved. Yay Bards!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Going Troll Shaman, no idea how hard I am going but if no one to group with I will switch to a Magician.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I am going to go half elf ranger. Cause I want to. Definitely down to group up with whoever asap.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Ogre SK. level 2 on my second corpse run.

Scarabs, Lizards, Tads all agro, but the bears don't. Fire Beatle eyes don't stack, and man I forgot about the fog. Like learning to play all over again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
They giving out XP boosts for being helpful on their forums, we should likely switch to that place to have a chance. I hope the devs know XP is king and insane to give out boosts even small ones like 10%

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Well - hopefully will get this IGN, so anyone feel free to hit me up if you see me online.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
There's been basically no advertising done, and it's not on the EQEmulator server list, so the fact that it hasn't been advertised heavily is unsurprising. From what I could gather, the server is made for thalix and his European guild & their friends, similar to what P2002 was for Arm & Hammered, except there's no exodus from another server to make it.

I had asked in EQEmu's coders chat about this with him last night and he accused me of personally attacking him and subsequently left the discord, when in fact there was no personal attacks. I just asked him bluntly why he didn't list it on the EQEmulator loginserver in addition to his own, and got excuses as replies that were technically and factually incorrect.

Then, someone else (not me, actually, for a change) made a brand new emu account to parrot my points on the forums, and he instantly accused me of being that anonymous account. I can't blame him, given that if it was anyone else, it'd probably be the case, but given his attitude to me on the discord, it wouldn't surprise me if he created the anonymous account to post on my behalf so he could berate me further.

The anonymous, 1-reply account posted the following below basically parrots my conversation in Discord. I'm posting the full thing for transparency below.

Thalix's reply to that on the EQEmulator forums is listed below:

I was looking forward to actually playing on this, but given his attitude about a simple technical question that was not personal, and lack of ways to use an EQEmulator account on it, I'll have to pass on trying it out. I'm sure it's fine to play on if you use a VPN and sandbox his patcher with credentials that are generic. Assume any information you pass in there is to be compromised, and to be honest that goes for any website you don't trust fully.

For a person who prides himself on being professional, he's far from it. Unless the professional skills are the ability to use nonsensical buzzwords to anyone with a microcosm of intellect could see through, and deflect to make himself look like he's in the right.

View attachment 360557View attachment 360559View attachment 360560View attachment 360561View attachment 360562

View attachment 360563View attachment 360564View attachment 360565View attachment 360566

Here's the discussion about the 'rewind packet' that thalix claims is his 'machine learning anticheat' from the context above, which is actually a standard EQ packet that is interpreted differently. (we're calling it floatlistthing, as it was a list of recent positions that the EQ client sends to the server for anticheat and rewind purposes)

View attachment 360567

Context for reference to what 'machine learning anticheat' he has:

The code itself was submitted to EQEmulator's repository, which contains no usage of ML or any algorithms:

Lastly, as I know there's gonna be some confusion or accusations about the classless3 anticheat and what I could see, yes, I did store process window titles on the PC, no, I don't currently look at them, nor do the new folks running classless3 utilize that functionality anymore as it's commented out, plus there's no need for it with the aforementioned warp detection code that operates on the server and is 100% serversided.

I'd like to point out the anticheat for classless3 is actually open source now, as I made public the source code for the dll, including the floating combat text, DPS addon, etc, and you can review its functionality here:

PS: If I am going to berate you like this, I am going to publicly do it as myself, Thalix, and it won't be a dismissive, anonymous, 1post June account.
I read all this and have no idea what is going on other then logging into Elder Dragons logs my IP? Doesn't everything log IPs? Like if my ISP wanted to they could send everything I have ever done on my home PC? Just don't reuse a password and will be fine?

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
When I try to log in it keeps setting me back to character select. Also my character model does not appear on the select screen. Can't post on their site it seems down atm.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I read all this and have no idea what is going on other then logging into Elder Dragons logs my IP? Doesn't everything log IPs? Like if my ISP wanted to they could send everything I have ever done on my home PC? Just don't reuse a password and will be fine?
I mean logging into the FOH website logs your IP.

In general good security is to never reuse your password anywhere. Don't make variations of passwords. Use a manager that generates, that is stored local like KeePass, and you'll be fine. Avoid phone two-factor authentication and remove it if you have it as SIM swapping is commonplace, stick to hardware authentication like using device prompts that use cell data, or a piece of software like Google Authenticator, and you'll be fine.

The point is anything and everything you do online can be tracked or traced, and there is no reason for him to exclude an entire swath of people from playing because they log in using the EQEmulator loginserver instead of his privately owned loginserver.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I mean logging into the FOH website logs your IP.

The point is anything and everything you do online can be tracked or traced, and there is no reason for him to exclude an entire swath of people from playing because they log in using the EQEmulator loginserver instead of his privately owned loginserver.
What reason would someone have to use a private login server apart from a desire to keep the population low?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
What reason would someone have to use a private login server apart from a desire to keep the population low?
EQEmu's server software supports using both at the same time, and apparently that's a personal attack according to him, so honestly, there is no reason beyond keeping the population low and having one less place to promote your server in.

There are benefits to him, not his server's community, however - he can control all user account credentials, instead of using a 18+ year proven method to authenticate to emu. There's also been an issue with @gmail accounts from the EU on EQEmulator which Rogean has yet to fix, and his personal group of EU friends are playing on his server, so that could play a factor, too.

There's also the element of surprise - you won't know how many are online unless you log in, and EQEmulator would expose your player counts, and 'faking' population counts can result in removal from 'preferred' server status.

Even TAKP, which cannot use the EQEmulator loginserver due to the inability of the EQMac's client to use the new loginserver protocol at all, is still listed there with population counts that are accurate because the server software is compatible with the loginserver, even if a client cannot log in and connect.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
What level were you up to Hatorade? I didn’t bring computer home I’ll keep leveling from the office tomorrow.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
What level were you up to Hatorade? I didn’t bring computer home I’ll keep leveling from the office tomorrow.
3.3 or so on the shaman, been looking around for quests more then anything. Found one so far involving this stuff:
uQuBu6Y-7xx5LV4LoPDO7ic-fyKfV7fqmgUC8j-dT8UQsMKmZUSvKa146lINnIQDLoexo-Jmz7NFs4nX3AuMDatkQz4vvQMNUqfUXcoAoVrHrkBu-XM-isen8mS6Jl0AuCuXG_hp

Might reroll to a cleric or something without spells tomorrow, not sure I want to play a shaman at end game.

Last edited:

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
I dont even know where to begin with finding new quests, also i dont think my shadowknight has harmtouch , so thats lame haha