EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
How are rogues in later expansions? I'm considering spinning one up because of how cheap they are to gear, but I've heard they're pretty much one of the worst DPS classes? They're literally the only class in EQ I've never played.

I don't know what the game looks like now, but there was an era from OoW to like SoD where rogues would be top on any fight where they could tee off on some backstabs. Backstabs are like 30%-40% of a rogues damage so you can imagine on fights where you have to switch targets a lot and can't position yourself that DPS is going to suffer. I was playing a rogue during this time and this was when I went hardcore poopsock mode since I'm a bit younger than the rest of you. You only heard about Zerkers out DPSing rogues on extremely short fights or fights like above.

If you do roll a rogue, the rogue channel is interesting, they're so few of us that basically every rogue knows each other, it's like it's own little guild. Part of the reason it's so cheap is that a lot of us have agree'd to not buy overpriced bullshit. For example, during some of the last sky raids we had someone bid on the 41% haste rogue belt to resell. I was telling folks for days that it was coming and not to buy it since it'd be more or less worthless when they got our cakewalk of an epic. Sure enough as soon as he won it, he ran straight to rogue chat and tried to sell it for 20kr and got laughed out of the chat.

I genuinely dont think rogues are nearly as bad as people put them out to be.
In the initial week when nobody outside of mages do dps? sure but once kunark hits and they start double backstabbing and getting decent gear they're quite good

Considering I've heard people claim that rogues are worse than SK pets, not in an exaggerate for comedic effect way, but in a "my improperly set up parse proves it" kind of way. I'd say yeah, we're certainly not as bad as people say. We're super gear dependent, and Mitigation of the Mighty fucks melee classes in general and that's especially obvious with rogues. I parsed myself on one Naggy fight where I did nothing but miss for 43 seconds. That's with skills maxed and 255 strength. Since most TLPs see a mass exodus by the time MotM is removed they never see melee classes without it and just play CasterQuest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I never spoke to the guy at all.

I had announced I was moving to an open herbalist camp in the main pick and he ran over to contest.

I never said a word as he spammed me and tried to ks for hours. =)
Well, sounds like the poor dude is having a rough time. Maybe sperging on strangers isn't the best way to handle it but eh

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lol at the rogues are usually hard working people right after people that love rogues talk about they enjoy it because they have no responsibility except stand there and stab mobs from the back while pressing 1 button.

People play rogues over monks because... i have no clue. They are afraid to tell their guild or group they won't pull? There is no real reason to ever play a rogue over a monk except to be more lazy or because you want cheap raid gear. Rogues cannot do anything better than anyone else. That is their issue.

For a class as useless as a rogue, other than doing damage, they SHOULD be doing 25% more damage than 2nd place melee damage. Just as wizard should do 25% more damage than all casters. As-is, you have people arguing that WELL once I get my uber weapons on my rogue then I will be very close to a monks DPS except I cannot FD or Mend and I have to have better gear than the monk. But... at least I don't have to pull *whew*

There is nothing wrong with rogues. They just aren't as good as they should be. Everyone else can do their jobs. You do not NEED a rogue until it's forced upon you on some stupid event that requires pick pocketing lol. Bards can lock picks and disarm traps just as well as rogues. Monks can DPS just as well as rogues.

There is no comparison between monk and rogue. Even if it were completely even, the FD brings the monk way ahead.
I'd do monk in an instant if that was going to be my "main". Problem is, I need a relatively "lazy" class as my boxed character, since my setup isn't really conducive to being extremely active on both computers at once. I'm fine with it being "not as good" or lower in the parse than a fully active monk, ranger, etc.

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
monks are the same as rogues except you have fd... the only difference is a monk "can pull". so if you like to handicap yourself then have at it.

or just make a monk and tell your guild you suck at pulling.

both classes need 1 hotkey during right. but 1 can fd their aggro.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yesterday Zaide bat phoned me to tell me he hopes my dog dies during this heat wave, what an asshole :(

for real though, what the fuck is wrong with people that make shit up like that? can't handle a handsome man farming dummy thicc loot? poor miserable fuckers

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People really downplay rogues way too much. They arent bad at all except in classic where they truely are a waste of space. Once you get your epic you do a lot more damage. Velious you really start to climb the ranks of the dps meter. Back on Phinny our top dps was monks and rogues usually depending on the fight. AA's are a massive gamechanger too.

Xevy

Log Wizard
We have a rogue who's been a rogue on Mangler and Agnarr. He went druid during classic because Rogues have it real bad vs high % MOTM. When all your damage comes from your ability that gets mitigated heavily and your weapon ratios aren't better than other peoples, you're gonna do bad damage. He's a VERY good player and it was probably around PoP-GoD era where he was vying for #1 DPS over monks generally. He didn't even get any gear except haste, hdex, and attack cap. Was using kunark items into PoP and shit.

The problem with Rogues is backstab is like 60% of their damage so they're locked into big BS daggers which have shit ratios comparatively with other 1handers for a long time. ALSO you need everyone else in your raid and your tanks to not be retarded and flip the mobs direction nonstop. That's probably the biggest challenge.

But yeah Rogues in Classic are okay, but not great, better with Epic in Kunark, okay still in Velious, Luclin they pick up a bit, and PoP and beyond they can fuck if the player is good/geared. Their burst dps on trash in exp groups is insane. Monks have the same DPS but it's sustained without focuses. Rogues are like Arcanite Reaper Mortal Strikers, just big frontloaded bam bam DPS.

They also get super invis which means you get to drag every idiot's dead body and some NINJA VANISH shit to save their own asses which are pretty neat.

• 1Like

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
I caused the most minor of dramas today in the thornblade discord. Do what you gotta do to get dem pearls
1624919033551.png
1624919059093.png

• 1NPC
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Eh, fuck the rogue thing. After reading and thinking on it some more I'll probably just stick to my mage/wiz combo until Luclin, when ports reduce in necessity. At that point I'll probably pair the mage with a BL and then finally pair the BL with a Zerker in GoD as my "main".

Needless

Toe Sucker
holy shit im retarded ive been trying to find a mask with MR for my bard but could only think of the diamond masks
entirely forgot the DE mask sitting in my bag has +7 MR

sure would be nice to find a damn runed bone fork though, christ

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Eh, fuck the rogue thing. After reading and thinking on it some more I'll probably just stick to my mage/wiz combo until Luclin, when ports reduce in necessity. At that point I'll probably pair the mage with a BL and then finally pair the BL with a Zerker in GoD as my "main".
Mage+BL+mercs will be absolute Gods. Mage and BL pets will tank any group named with ease. Much better than zerk+mage overall.

Mage+mage or mage+necro would be even better with mercs. Add a 3rd box bard + another Merc and you'll be unstoppable

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
BL gives slow and stuff. I wouldn't sleep on it. It's a lot more work to be optimal than other classes though.

Berserker is raw melee dps and a lot more of a glass cannon than I think people realize. It can duo alright with a beastlord if you go that route. Just realize that your bl/zerk duo while capable of mowing stuff and being pretty handy when grouped up is going to be significantly weaker than your mage come sof+ content for actually handling difficult stuff - you have no REAL tank, unlike the mage pet.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, I'm less interested in doing things purely as a box/boxing. I plan on raiding, grouping, and all that shit. The box is just there as something to do when a group isn't available or I feel like chilling and camping a few named. But, that still sounds like Mage/BL or Mage/Necro might be the better options.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Lol I h eard a FT 3 ring from Chardok C dropped and the guy is selling it for 75krono. People are so fucking crazy. You can easily sell that krono for $750.

Ya'll remember when we ridiculed people for buying gear and plat back in the day? We're so used to microtransactions and p2w that we don't even care anymore.

I mean, whatever, time is money. If you make that calculation, whatever, it's a 20 year old game. But who buys an item that is essentially worth hundreds of dollars and doesn't feel gross?

Any other spicy out of era loots yet?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I find it hard to separate the money value as well. But then I remember that I didn’t actually pay for all the krono I have. Someone else did. I just have some weird idea in my head that it would ruin the game for me to cash out my krono. Like maybe I’d look at the items I’d actually use, differently. Just my personal hang up, maybe.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol I h eard a FT 3 ring from Chardok C dropped and the guy is selling it for 75krono. People are so fucking crazy. You can easily sell that krono for $750.

Ya'll remember when we ridiculed people for buying gear and plat back in the day? We're so used to microtransactions and p2w that we don't even care anymore.

I mean, whatever, time is money. If you make that calculation, whatever, it's a 20 year old game. But who buys an item that is essentially worth hundreds of dollars and doesn't feel gross?

He paid 220k for it in plat in guild.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider

First level 50 cleric on Veeshan sold for 10k. Back then though you could not get away from your reputation and everyone knew it was a bought cleric so no one would guild with them. So just wasted a lot of money...

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
There are plenty of people with enough disposable income that $ 750 on 1 EQ item is no big deal. Why would someone making $ 500,000 a year care about dropping $ 750 on an uber item. They also play Everquest, which means they probably aren't the most high-maintenance in terms of spending money IRL. Who needs $ 1000 fancy dinners when you got your uber everquest characters. To them, this is actually the cheaper way to flaunt their wealth. There's a lot more competition in the real world. In EQ, you spend $ 750 and you're considered the richest of the rich.

That being said... it was a terrible idea to post that item on ECtunnel lol.

• 1Like