EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I've got so much free time. If anyone wants to pay me to sit on their characters and camp spawns for the upcoming TLP I am totally game. I'll even Twitch stream the whole thing so you can see I'm not fucking with your toons.

Honestly at this point in my life, that sounds more fun than actually playing my own character. No joke. Spawn camping is straight up zen for me these days, but the rest of the grind is so meh.

Spawn camping while working my real job is my zen.

I spent weeks on agnarr and selo farming the good old fungi king. Roll on down to the camp with a 3-6 box (depending on my setup at the time). Depending on zone repop time it was usually around 20ish min spawn time. Kill some shrooms and work on real life work projects for the next 15ish min or so. I'd usually be farming the camp with my one buddy on discord so we could cover each others charm breaks. Play with people you trust not to cheat you over kronos and split the proceeds.

On agnarr people were playing 12-14 krono for fungi staves and 8-10 for tunics the first few days of kunark. Within 2 months I was still getting a few kr per staff and 1-2 per tunic. Selo it was even easier to hold and/or chase off whatever bad MQ boxer was trying to farm it. Pulled over 2k krono just from that camp on those servers while just handling my normal day to day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Spawn camping while working my real job is my zen.

I spent weeks on agnarr and selo farming the good old fungi king. Roll on down to the camp with a 3-6 box (depending on my setup at the time). Depending on zone repop time it was usually around 20ish min spawn time. Kill some shrooms and work on real life work projects for the next 15ish min or so. I'd usually be farming the camp with my one buddy on discord so we could cover each others charm breaks. Play with people you trust not to cheat you over kronos and split the proceeds.

On agnarr people were playing 12-14 krono for fungi staves and 8-10 for tunics the first few days of kunark. Within 2 months I was still getting a few kr per staff and 1-2 per tunic. Selo it was even easier to hold and/or chase off whatever bad MQ boxer was trying to farm it. Pulled over 2k krono just from that camp on those servers while just handling my normal day to day.
How easy is it to offload Krono for cash these days? Wanting to avoid that hassle was part of why I was thinking about just piloting other people's toons.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah it's really hard to show an employer that I haven't worked since 2015 and have them believe that it's because I went through stage 4 cancer from 2016-2020 and years of recovery after. Even Chewy probably wouldn't hire me.
Most people won't check references. It's in the news Microsoft and Amazon are laying people off. Just put you where XXXXXX Supervisor or XXXX Project managment at amazon for 6 years but got laid off and you need new work.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Mages get groups easily early on because they have good synergy with enchanters since you can malo the charm pet. New upgraded nukes are really powerful especially before level 30, you'll do 2-3 times the damage of the rogue with his fine steel dagger. After classic, the game kind of becomes melee centric until 75 or so, you won't have nearly as much competition for gear as a caster. Think we had 3 main mages by PoP and probably 8 monks and 6 rogues.

Bards are indeed great although the requirement to split pulls for xp camps isn't as high as it was, really no need to bring singles most of the time, it'll just slow things down. Definitely favored pullers over monks now since monk dps is so good, having the monk run around tends to drop your kill speed rather a lot. Bards can renew songs after a pull and leave camp and still have their songs contribute for a while.

Agree with everything said about enchanters, you are vastly powerful (especially with a cleric box, best duo by far early on) but in a group it feels like you are putting in three times the effort of everyone else and you start to resent it.
That was a good write up, I really did enjoy my Mage and having to make certain commands so the damn thing wouldn't break a mez back in the OG days.

I wasn't impressed too much by Mage dps with basically just fire spells and was it shock or swords etc magic damage. Have little debuffs and not many real "needed" skills.

The hardest thing in original to SoV-SoL was making PP, Druids, Mages, & Enchanters took most my money from ports, haste, clarity, & run speed.

Damn bards print platinum out of their asses... I'm sure a ton of things have changed to make it easier for progression servers & I'm sure more quality of life things have changed as well.

I need to see if I can find my binder with all the eqmaps printed out on paper. That site was a God send, oh yeah, hotkey /loc and spam that shit! I did get my J boots from AC in S Ro desert, I belive that is where one of the AC's spawned.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Most people won't check references. It's in the news Microsoft and Amazon are laying people off. Just put you where XXXXXX Supervisor or XXXX Project managment at amazon for 6 years but got laid off and you need new work.
I have a huge psychological aversion to lying but yeah. Seems like most people that get ahead in this world, that's how they do it... Maybe I should get over it.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yeah it's really hard to show an employer that I haven't worked since 2015 and have them believe that it's because I went through stage 4 cancer from 2016-2020 and years of recovery after. Even Chewy probably wouldn't hire me.
09743-1099858545-Chewbacca in a suit seated behind a desk rejecting an applicant seated in fro...png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Lol

There used to be someone around TLPs with the nickname Chewy. Thought he was on this forum but can't find him via search. Must've been an old guildmate I got confused with a forum bro.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
How easy is it to offload Krono for cash these days? Wanting to avoid that hassle was part of why I was thinking about just piloting other people's toons.
It's pretty easy. I setup an account on EC Tunnel and was able to sell pretty quickly. I will say that to get the full level of "trusted" or whatever, you have to actually show a RL id to the admins. That's not strictly necessary but it gives buyers a better sense of trust that you're not a scammer. After that, it's just doing Paypal or Venmo with your buyers. Just starting out with no rep you can sell slightly below the average price and still get plenty of people buying. EC Tunnel takes no cut of your sales, btw, so it's worth it to do the $10 a year Premium level if you're going to be moving anything of quantity.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's pretty easy. I setup an account on EC Tunnel and was able to sell pretty quickly. I will say that to get the full level of "trusted" or whatever, you have to actually show a RL id to the admins. That's not strictly necessary but it gives buyers a better sense of trust that you're not a scammer. After that, it's just doing Paypal or Venmo with your buyers. Just starting out with no rep you can sell slightly below the average price and still get plenty of people buying. EC Tunnel takes no cut of your sales, btw, so it's worth it to do the $10 a year Premium level if you're going to be moving anything of quantity.
That sounds reasonable. No worse than the gray-market drug message boards I used to sell on anyway lol.

But whether or not I can trust strangers wasn't my main concern so much as the potential for having my character progress wiped if I get caught. But Darkpaw probably just looks the other way at this point, and occasionally busts a couple of the RMTers with the biggest Krono stashes as a way to remove some Krono from the economy, I imagine?

DickTrickle

That sounds reasonable. No worse than the gray-market drug message boards I used to sell on anyway lol.

But whether or not I can trust strangers wasn't my main concern so much as the potential for having my character progress wiped if I get caught. But Darkpaw probably just looks the other way at this point, and occasionally busts a couple of the RMTers with the biggest Krono stashes as a way to remove some Krono from the economy, I imagine?
I mean, who really knows? I certainly never had an issue. I've also sold about 15 accounts over time and never had any blowback on those. I have bought kronos before, but only from guild people on Mangler. There's certainly been anecdotal stories but if there was any widespread enforcement I think there would be more talk about it and much less comfort in the marketplace. I generally sold in increments under 20 krono, just in case they might pay more attention to higher volume krono movements. The only effect I ever had was having to enable two factor authentication on an account that was moving a lot of krono.

I was in a GDKP (use plat/krono instead of DKP) guild on Mischief and there was a shit ton of krono being moved between people all the time and of course through the leadership, yet I don't think they ever had any problem related to that, so I'd be surprised if there was much reason to worry.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I mean, who really knows? I certainly never had an issue. I've also sold about 15 accounts over time and never had any blowback on those. I have bought kronos before, but only from guild people on Mangler. There's certainly been anecdotal stories but if there was any widespread enforcement I think there would be more talk about it and much less comfort in the marketplace. I generally sold in increments under 20 krono, just in case they might pay more attention to higher volume krono movements. The only effect I ever had was having to enable two factor authentication on an account that was moving a lot of krono.

I was in a GDKP (use plat/krono instead of DKP) guild on Mischief and there was a shit ton of krono being moved between people all the time and of course through the leadership, yet I don't think they ever had any problem related to that, so I'd be surprised if there was much reason to worry.
Yeah "lack of widespread enforcement" was exactly what I expected, just nice to hear confirmation. Thanks bruv.

A GDKP guild is a great cover for RMT too tho haha.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They enforce if they think you're a degenerate. Guys who hide in SG and don't bother anyone but whiners get away with it for long periods, the customer support probably hate the petitioners as crybabies. You start wrestling spawns off groups of ordinary players or rmting your raid gear you outbid others on, you're gonna get petition spammed and they may suddenly care. The golden rule here is that customer support is largely ignorant and lazy, so if you aren't getting reported nobody will bust you, and the more people report you the more likely you are to face problems regardless of what you're doing.

If you just need money and have no job, please, reconsider eq as your salvation. Especially if you hate the grind. You'd be better off on a random city street corner with a "stage 4 cancer survivor" sign just panhandling than you would in norrath without a professional (aka expensive) box setup.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If you just need money and have no job, please, reconsider eq as your salvation. Especially if you hate the grind. You'd be better off on a random city street corner with a "stage 4 cancer survivor" sign just panhandling than you would in norrath without a professional (aka expensive) box setup.
Doubtful, my doctor warns me against spending time outside in the Michigan winter due to my nerve damage.

No car and public transportation sucks in my city, so work from home is my only recourse til spring. Perhaps some other work from home job would be better but really need something I can do on my own schedule since I never know what days I'm gonna feel too terrible to do much.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Selo clone seems like a bad idea if the timeline is the same. Sure, all the extra loot will help but in terms of keying and XP, it's still going to cause a lot of burnout, imo.

Now, if it was Selo + Mischief and no keying, that might make for a fun ride through the history of EverQuest.

That's a great idea and I hope they thought of it. Simply removing keying would make that server tremendously fun rather than tedious. Then the only question becomes what era does it start in? As someone else said earlier, Velious start sounds interesting. There would be a mad dash for ST. I might even raid VP (VP 1.0 is the only retro zone in the game that I've never raided in-era).

If they really want to do something awesome, go Selo/Mischief combination, remove keying, start in classic for 1 month, and make zerkers/beastlords available from the beginning. The only problem with that server is it'd make future servers look bad.

I remember getting the Fiery Avenger in classic on Mischief and some random dude just offering my 45kr on the spot for it.

I'm surprised you didn't sell it to him as an excuse to just do the quest a second time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I bet you would be surprised by how few players use krono for game time. I would be 90-95% are credit card subs still

A while back we were discussing account-selling and how it can be traced back to you if the person you sell to gets banned or something.

If you start a new account and use only kronos to pay for it, no card, no name, different email, NOTHING connecting the account to you, would that remove the threat of having your main account banned if you sell the side-account to someone who gets in trouble?

I have a bunch of TLP accounts that I ended up never playing again and could have gone to someone else. Max-level (for the time) characters with epics and full AAs and raid gear. Just felt like such a waste to quit without selling or giving the acct to someone else to box.

DickTrickle

That's a great idea and I hope they thought of it. Simply removing keying would make that server tremendously fun rather than tedious. Then the only question becomes what era does it start in? As someone else said earlier, Velious start sounds interesting. There would be a mad dash for ST. I might even raid VP (VP 1.0 is the only retro zone in the game that I've never raided in-era).

If they really want to do something awesome, go Selo/Mischief combination, remove keying, start in classic for 1 month, and make zerkers/beastlords available from the beginning. The only problem with that server is it'd make future servers look bad.

I'm surprised you didn't sell it to him as an excuse to just do the quest a second time.
I would think, if they were smart, they'd still have all the IPs that used the account. So that link would still presumably exist.

Fedsmoker

Lord Nagafen Raider
From my understanding, accounts also get flagged with the various hardware id's of the systems they login from as well.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I dropped like 12KR for my bard's epic on Mischief for my 3 box just because I didn't want to fuck with it. I used to look down on whaling, but now idgaf. I'll pay to avoid annoyance every fucking time.

I prefer to do the epic quests because they're a lot of fun (for me anyway) and I've done 'em all. Hardest was Mage 1.0 because I had terrible luck with that one. All of that said, Bard 1.0 is the one epic I'd probably just buy with krono rather than trying to do, especially if it's for a box bard to follow me around and bang coconuts together. I just can't be arsed with it at this point.

It sounds fucked, but whaling is amazing. I can spend two hours at work and make up the $100 necessary to buy my 8-10 kronos off of the ol' ectunnel. Plus, I save tons of time, which is just honestly way more valuable as an adult.

Excited about another TLP; I passed on Mischief (rip), and would absolutely love if they did that idea again.

Agree about time. For me I can spend 3-4 hours at work and make the $120 for bard epic kronos, which is waaaaaay less time than the epic would take to actually do in-era.

Just make a necro or two and aggressively contest named camps and make the krono that way. Even easier and happens all the time already!

Well, unless it's random loot, then almost every group drop won't be worth much for long.

Yeah, Necros are bomb KSers. I was able to hold a couple LGuk camps as a 50 SK on Vaniki (or maybe it was 45, IDK) and aggressively contest anybody who rolled up with undead nukes and, if it was a named and the situation was dire, maybe an HT too. Necro is even better though. I'm still thinking of doing a double Necro situation (or Shaman) and just going around aggressively contesting things for the fun of competition.

From my understanding, accounts also get flagged with the various hardware id's of the systems they login from as well.

Get outta here, Fed!

Well, that's a bummer. I guess I'll keep not selling/giving away accts when I'm done with a server. Just such a waste though. I'm guessing they'll never change their policies on this kind of thing.