EVE Online

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So how dead is this game?

If it's not dead, how behind am I if the last time I logged in was uh, 2008 or so? Looking at some of this crap casually it looks like I should just make a new account and go through the new player shit and I'd be in a better spot than trying to re-active my old account?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So how dead is this game?

If it's not dead, how behind am I if the last time I logged in was uh, 2008 or so? Looking at some of this crap casually it looks like I should just make a new account and go through the new player shit and I'd be in a better spot than trying to re-active my old account?
I was thinking about it to the other day. For some reason it comes off to me as like our old characters have a sneezes worth of points, and are probably in positions that they would just make for a bad experience to restart from. As you get a HUGE amount of points just for being a new player, and then you can buy some? I think? Some kid of p2w aspect is there with the points, I just couldnt figure out what exactly it was. That doesnt mean that you're just handed ISK or anything, just that you'll have the points needed to do what you want. Never mind all the UI changes, and overall warp traps, and other tricks of the trade that you're going to have to learn about. As far as population goes, I have no idea. Games gorgeous, but I think a lot of players have been disappointed in the company more for throwing all kinds of money into other projects but never really investing more of it into Eve. I want to give a whirl as well, but I just havent pulled the trigger. Dove really deep into the mobile version when it came out and that was fun for a while until everyone kind of got into a stalemate position.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I got the itch and reactivated my accounts a few months back. The game is very very different nowadays almost unrecognizably so.

theres tons and tons of p2w aspects now with skill injectors and shit basically you can just straight up purchase skill points.

I mean the game always let you sell characters but atleast you could look at a characters corp history and tell how old the character was, let you get an approximation of how many sp they had. nowadays a 30 day old character can have 200mil+ sp.

also like everywhere there are player owned stations everyone has them in every system like nobody even uses the basic NPC stations and shit there's dozens of individual stations in every system. so you can roam around for hours and not see a soul in local then pop in a system and see 50 ppl but none of them are in space or in the stations they are in their own person stations, its just fucking weird.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I got the itch and reactivated my accounts a few months back. The game is very very different nowadays almost unrecognizably so.

theres tons and tons of p2w aspects now with skill injectors and shit basically you can just straight up purchase skill points.

I mean the game always let you sell characters but atleast you could look at a characters corp history and tell how old the character was, let you get an approximation of how many sp they had. nowadays a 30 day old character can have 200mil+ sp.

also like everywhere there are player owned stations everyone has them in every system like nobody even uses the basic NPC stations and shit there's dozens of individual stations in every system. so you can roam around for hours and not see a soul in local then pop in a system and see 50 ppl but none of them are in space or in the stations they are in their own person stations, its just fucking weird.

Sad. I was playing in early 2021 and it was still fun and very active.

Even Imperium News is dead now.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well I logged in and my old guy has ~10m SP which I think is probably low enough that the booster starter is just better?

Unless there's some way I can go through the new player intro since this char is so old, but I'm not entirely sure.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So I dug around a bit more and looks like a brand new character starts with ~1.5m SP assuming you use the refer-a-friend bonus.

The free accounts can only train up to 5m total SP, after which you have to buy injectors to continue or pay for a monthly sub. This is kinda weird cause you can buy skill injectors directly with plex? But can only use them on an unpaid account? I'm sure there's some more complicated nuance I'm missing here.

So any of us old fucks with characters that have more than 5m SP probably need to just re-active those characters. There's some pretty extensive new player stuff to partake in and it looks like it'll let me do most of it even on an old character so I may just try out some of this mission things?

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're confusing things, there are skill extractors which you use on a character to extract 500k sp, which then turn into skill injectors which give anywhere from 150k to 500k sp depending on how much sp you already have. Then there are daily alpha injectors which give 50k once a day only available to alphas. There are also cerebral accelerators which give you a boost to attribute points for a duration to increase skill training speed.

If you're hopping back in, faction warfare is good to get into, lots of action and isk to be made in all ship types, and its about to get a new update on the 14th adding pirate factions into the mix. Other good options would be jumping into horde or imperium (this will open up bunch of null sec activities, I only have experience with horde and you can mostly do whatever you want), or joining a wormhole corp if you're more experienced and have more time to invest.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well right now I'm playing the tutorial so I can remember the basics of like, how to move my ship and how to fire guns lmao. It's gonna be a minute before I do anything more complex than mine or rat in highsec from the way this is going so far.

I was nowhere near good at the game 10 years ago, so this is almost entirely alien to me at this point. I think I was doing wormhole stuff last time I played, where you have a ton of probes and do the hacking minigame? Or at least that's what the ship I was docked with looked like, but I can't fly it until I resub heh

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I've debated popping back in again off and on throughout the year myself. Last time I was playing I was getting myself set up for a rorq that I wanted to use but my alliance was being stupid and dragging their feet on giving me permission to fly it (corp I was in was a couple cool people but the alliance we were in was garbage, didn't want to ever fight or fly anything other than cheap trash fits, unless it was one of their personal buddies)(cause they were all (I had a fit set up that I thought looked pretty solid on the tank front and thought it'd make for some good times when i'd get caught by roaming gangs).

Well right now I'm playing the tutorial so I can remember the basics of like, how to move my ship and how to fire guns lmao. It's gonna be a minute before I do anything more complex than mine or rat in highsec from the way this is going so far.

I was nowhere near good at the game 10 years ago, so this is almost entirely alien to me at this point. I think I was doing wormhole stuff last time I played, where you have a ton of probes and do the hacking minigame? Or at least that's what the ship I was docked with looked like, but I can't fly it until I resub heh
That sounds like exploration specifically, you can do everything in wormholes whether its mine/rat/explo (pretty sure wormholes have explo at least).

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I'm pretty sure I was doing it all in wormhole space back when I was playing cause I could there relatively safely with my cloaking.

From the looks of it I think the play is to just re-sub my guy with ~10m SP and just try and re-learn the game manually. This Agency thing looks like it has a ton of stuff to do that is relatively specialized to whatever you want to do? Or is this just kinda trying to point you at where to do to do a specific activity?

Can you just PvE rat for any kind of relevant profit at this point, or is the economy just inflated beyond that?

Daidraco

ronne ronne 's post in this got me to reinstall it and play. This game still has a way to magically make me emotionally numb for hours. Where ADHD kicks my ass in anything else I have installed right now in about 15 minutes - this kept me playing all night last night. The little tracks for advancement are really nice. Did the recruit a friend for the million SP on some random dude with a macro playing and that was a big help.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I made a new account last night and tried to totally new experience and it's pretty good really. The referral bonus plus starting skills is really enough to be able to train up pretty well at one specific task.

I'm gonna end up just using my old account though cause it's pretty welled maxed out in exploration stuff anyway which is always what I enjoyed doing, and I can just have him train for some smaller combat setups to try some of those abyss things or whatever.

• 1Like

Daidraco

So... random question - Anyone have any idea how to make the cursor bigger? I see some people are using something called Yolomouse, but Im looking for a less intrusive way to increase the cursor size.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So... random question - Anyone have any idea how to make the cursor bigger? I see some people are using something called Yolomouse, but Im looking for a less intrusive way to increase the cursor size.

I've used yolomouse before, works well and pretty customizable, not sure of any other good option.

Anyone getting into/back into the game, I can't stress enough how important it is to join a corp/alliance. Figure out if you want to go wormhole, faction warfare or null, then join up with others if you don't want to burn out faster than any other MMO. The game becomes 100x better with other people.

FW discords:

Winmatar: Join the Minmatar Fleet Discord Server!
Gallents: Join the Gal Mil War HQ Discord Server!
Caldari: Join the CalMil Headquarters Discord Server!
Amarr: Join the Amarr Militia Discord Server!

If you want to get out into null with tons of fleet and other opportunities available, Pandemic Horde is the easiest way I'm aware of. Join the in game chat channel "join horde" to apply.

Edit: Also, the winter event is coming Dec. 5 which will have combat and exploration sites popping up all over with good rewards, and the next expansion Havoc drops next week with new content, mainly pirate factions in FW.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I was just gonna join Eve University for now and do some 'safe' PvE exploration/scanning, maybe some of this fancy new abyss ratting stuff?

I tried joining one of the Brace Newbie fleets back when I first tried this and it was kinda ass? Like yea they gave me a bunch of frigates to fly, but all my involvement with their activities was basically just sitting in a fleet camping someplace and then getting told to go scramble whatever targets popped up. I didn't really learn anything besides 'orbit target at 1000m inside their gun ranges and turn on warp scramblers and then hope you don't die to drones'.

This was before the faction warfare stuff I think so maybe that's a better way to approach dipping in to some PvP stuff?

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
FW is probably a good way to get in to pvp and actually fight instead of just be a target or scrambot, ya. I dunno if they've changed the abyssals since I played but they were semi enjoyable until you lost a very expensive ship and had only made 10% of its value so far because you rng'd the hard one.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
lol, lmao even

scyod0wcoa0c1.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I ended up reinstalling, just dicking around in some abyssals with a stormbringer for now, can't decide if I want to do fw or maybe join PH or someone and go back to null with a non carebear alliance.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You should extract a few million SP and give them to me is what you should do imo.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users