Event Horizon (1997)

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
8 pages of comments for a 23 year old movie.

It has legs.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I seriously think this is the best way to watch many horror movies. I still remember when I went to the cinema to watch From Dusk til Dawn, having never seen a trailer for it, heard a review, or basically heard shit about it. Didn't even know who was in it. Lights go out, title comes up, "ooh lots of good actors in this"... "ahh it's a crime/gangster film"... "man Selma Hayak is hot"... "wait... what's going on.. are they hallucinating? Was there something in the tequila?" ... "ok.. wow... this is a vampire flick lol"
I went to see Alien opening night not knowing anything about it. Not knowing what to expect adds to the experience.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even though Dusk Till Dawn was disjointed, it was a fantastic movie.

The vampire twist was kind of wild, but at least the action sequences during the last half of the movie were quality. The pacing, special effects and drama were all top notch. You felt for these characters. I remember feeling bad when Harvey Kietel died, and Clooney was awesome in this movie, having to show empathy for this family, yet also show loyalty to his brother. All the actors did a great job. (tarintino was a little creepy, but I guess that was the point)

As far as Event Horizon, I thought the actors did fine. How do you guys feel about Fishburne as an actor? He is very good IMO, but he just doesnt have much range. He does a fantastic job portraying suffering/sadness/pain (The matrix) , can also pull off the badass leader role. But he just seems like the same guy in every movie though.

The other black dudes comment after they wake up from cryo sleep was hilarious.

"Hey baby you want something hot and black in you?" "no? How about some coffee?"

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Said earlier in this thread, but it's popular among warhammer 40k fan boys that most of this is fairly fitting for the lore to essentially be a 40k movie set before the imperium of man and essentially from the first attempts at travel thru the warp.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Watched this movie for the first time out at a cabin we rented in the middle of nowhere for a family holiday probably 6 or 7 years ago.

This movie was fucked. Really regretted it. Honestly thought it still held up well. His wife essentially tormenting him, and the flash scenes scenes at random points. Just crazy.

Also love the whole Christian mythology shit. I think it's a big reason that the new Doom games draw me so much; What's the biggest baddest enemy of them all, well how about literal Hell? How dark & demented the psychology behind it can be is terrifying.

Frailty fucked me up as well when I was a teenager.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I watched all of Supernatural and never really knew how much of the Angels vs. Demons stuff was made up whole cloth or how much was inspired by actual texts and mythos. I mean yeah at some point once you've killed the entire pantheon you've veered off in to full creative writing territory, but for a while there they were playing with "established" lore, it seemed.
late reply. they take artistic freedom with most of their stuff, obviously but it pretty much all comes from established mythos. the "christian" stuff isn't actually christian, it's taken from a mish-mash of christian, jewish and catholic religious documents but it usually gets lumped into the same thing. for example, in the christian bible, the only named angels are michael, gabriel and lucifer. the book of Tobit (book in the catholic bible) mentions raphael. several jewish books mention Michael, Gabriel, Uriel and Raphael as being the 4 archangels.

in the early 1580's, a rennassaince man named john dee basically created the language of the angels, Enochian, which supernatural uses all the time. basically he says that he didn't create it, but that the angels communicated with that language, and even God created the world using enochian. He said that Adam and God spoke to each other in enochian and when Adam and Eve were banished from the garden, Adam forgot how to speak it. John Dee claimed to have "remembered" how to speak it due to a vision.

but like i said, they take artistic freedom with the lore. Castiel is a brand new angel, for example

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The biggest head-scratcher surrounding this movie was that Paul W.S. Anderson directed it. That would be like Uwe Boll directing Blade Runner 2049.

WTF? How did this happen and how is it not fucking awful?

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Sam Neil. Laurence Fishburne. Jason Isaacs.

Now go look at who is in all 13 of the Resident Evil movies.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All of the Resident Evil movies were written by Anderson, Event Horizon wasn't. Writers matter.

• 3Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They're all over the shop with more bad ones than good ones but a few of the Resident Evil films are sorta interesting.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The Resident Evil series did give us a great rlm review;

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any other recommended movies that are similar to this? I really like the "existential threat on the edge of space" vibe. Like the vaguely EH-esque Reavers in Firefly/Serenity which were by far the most interesting thing to me in that universe.

I've seen Event Horizon, Pandorum, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1977 version in particular), John Carpenter's The Thing, and Sunrise. I can go ahead and recommend Sunrise in particular as being an extremely good movie with some similarities to EH.

Any other suggestions? I think I heard Solaris (Clooney version) was a movie of this nature but I haven't checked it out because I've never seen Clooney in anything serious.

• 2Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
have you seen annihiliation/the color out of space? Not exactly in this genre but similiar.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Any other recommended movies that are similar to this? I really like the "existential threat on the edge of space" vibe. Like the vaguely EH-esque Reavers in Firefly/Serenity which were by far the most interesting thing to me in that universe.

I've seen Event Horizon, Pandorum, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1977 version in particular), John Carpenter's The Thing, and Sunrise. I can go ahead and recommend Sunrise in particular as being an extremely good movie with some similarities to EH.

Any other suggestions? I think I heard Solaris (Clooney version) was a movie of this nature but I haven't checked it out because I've never seen Clooney in anything serious.

You should try Alien (and alien 2). Pitch Black was pretty solid (although the Riddick sequels were not). Dark City is really good although a bit more matrix-y. Solaris was OK as far as I remember. Red Planet is also similar, but not as good. There's also Sphere, which is also kinda meh but similar. The Abyss.

• 4Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

If you have not seen Alien that is the obvious choice.

• 2Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

This movie does not get much hype but it is actually pretty descent. Have you seen "Prince of Darkness"? It has some of that weird "oh shit" vibe to it.

• 3Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

sunshine

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All of these are decent, to really good. Recommend you check them out and watch the trailers and see if they peak your interest.

Annihilation- 2018 Natalie Portman
Life - 2017 Jake Gyllenhaal
Ex Machina- 2014 Oscar Isaac
Source Code- 2011 Jake Gyllenhaal
Moon- 2009 Sam Rockwell
Pitch Black- 2000 Vin Diesel

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users