Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel my interest is only growing, which is the opposite of what usually happens for me on these servers. On Phin, I never made it to 50 on my Enchanter before burning out. Made it to 40 or so, and a buddy boxed me to 47 before burning out. Then I went 47-60 when Kunark launched, and burned out again as soon as i hit 50.

Somehow, this time around I'm level 50 on my SK, been on a number of raids, and having some good fun.

I think the biggest thing that has my interest growing is that I finally have all but a couple slots in "decent" gear, so I feel the pressure is off to gear myself up and now just raid drops will be what I need. Now that the pressure is off from that, I'm focusing more on alts, hang out in the CL being a Tunnel rat merchant, and much more leisurely things. It's a great time!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
I need to learn about equipment and how to gear up. I just hit 31 as an enchanter and I have not put one piece of gear on.

Also, clarity is amazing. I feel like I can cast tons more shit and do more.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I need to catch a break hitting up the Fire Giants hard. Major upgrades to be had!

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Misc adventure

EQ000651.jpg

EQ000648.jpg

EQ000644.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
All his screenshots are insanely bright, jesus. Gotta go dial that shit down man.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, turning off the advanced lighting made a world of difference (for me, at least). It's really weird too because it was especially blinding in a place like HHP or North Ro, which were revamped. I'm not sure what the point of it is.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I need to catch a break hitting up the Fire Giants hard. Major upgrades to be had!
Friend that boxes enc/cleric text me early this morning right before I was about to head to work asking if I wanted to come loot a Polished Mithril Torque, said hell yea! Then he's like Rokyl popped, guess we better kill that, so we did, and the Mask dropped, so got both now on my SK. Feel a little bad, cuz my buddy didn't get the crystal or nothing, but dang am I excited to have both those items now.

I'm pretty surprised though that my Lifetaps went from 105 to 106 with Imp Damage II , whats up with that?

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone doing jewelcrafting? Wanted to see about making some rings and ear rings.

I looked up some gear and it looks campable. I think I'm just going to keep leveling and worry about it later though.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I told you. This is how things work now. I was a Gunner's Mate as a young kid on the USS Jenkins operating a 5 inch mount and to make a long story short, you couldn't be a fuck up. Today, you can be a fuck up.

View attachment 145914

Not that they aren't dumbfuck lemmings, but some of this CAN be mitigated. First, you need to establish some discipline to where you can silence chatter in tense moments and be heard. Second, you have to lay down the importance of following directions - if asked to do something, do it.

People doing their own thing are either not listening, not hearing you, or think they know better. You can curb the second two types with good raid management.

I'm relatively sure someone beat the idea of shutting up to listen and following orders without thinking you know better LONG before they let you anywhere near a massive weapon.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Friend that boxes enc/cleric text me early this morning right before I was about to head to work asking if I wanted to come loot a Polished Mithril Torque, said hell yea! Then he's like Rokyl popped, guess we better kill that, so we did, and the Mask dropped, so got both now on my SK. Feel a little bad, cuz my buddy didn't get the crystal or nothing, but dang am I excited to have both those items now.

I'm pretty surprised though that my Lifetaps went from 105 to 106 with Imp Damage II , whats up with that?

That doesn't make sense. Are your lifetaps really fast cast or something? I don't remember if they revamped classic SK lifetaps. It should be the full % though unless your lifetaps are level 48-50ish and then the focus effect will fall off a bit, but not that much. You were probably being resisted? Lifetaps are hard to resist, but they are giants afterall. But casting spells higher than the focus level maxes at doesn't have a huge drop off for a few levels. I can't remember the math, but for example, Improved Damage II goes up to level 44. Say for sake of ease that Improved Damage II was 100%. If you cast a level 46 spell, you are 2 levels over the cap and it would fall off to 98% increased damage. I think that's how it works anyways, or used to. But somewhere there is a huge drop off after like 10 levels higher than the focus. Otherwise it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Yeah, turning off the advanced lighting made a world of difference (for me, at least). It's really weird too because it was especially blinding in a place like HHP or North Ro, which were revamped. I'm not sure what the point of it is.

Anyone know any other options to reduce lag/chop while boxing? I'm having huge chop on my 2nd box whenever I'm near my first box. And this isn't on Agnarr so there's no wonky code making sure I'm using 2 computers (I'm using 1). Do I need to set each EQ to a separate processor? It's just a dual core, but that should be enough?

Sterling

El Presidente
Improved damage and most other focus effects aren't a set amount. On an individual cast it can be 1 percent or 20 percent or anything in between. So it averages out to be 10.5 percent, not 20.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Improved damage and most other focus effects aren't a set amount. On an individual cast it can be 1 percent or 20 percent or anything in between. So it averages out to be 10.5 percent, not 20.

Oh yeah there's that too.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I was wondering about that in Kedge Keep. I was all... I don't remember this place being so bright and clear.

I dislike the modern vision of, "any loss of sight via nighttime darkness, water, etc is denial of service!" Come on!

Yeah I remember logging onto EQMac years ago and realizing just how badly I'd forgotten how severe darkness was in EQ. I distinctly remember having a friend run me a Greater Lightstone in 1999 when I first started in Gfay and it made a world of difference. And that was on a High Elf! Humans, Barbarians & Erudites were just plain blind, which is why Harvester was so desired for Human necros and why so many Monk items had vision on them. You'd literally get lost in the tiny tunnel entrance/exit to Halas.

Edit: Also the super secret T button which activated your non item permanent torch.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I remember logging onto EQMac years ago and realizing just how badly I'd forgotten how severe darkness was in EQ. I distinctly remember having a friend run me a Greater Lightstone in 1999 when I first started in Gfay and it made a world of difference. And that was on a High Elf! Humans, Barbarians & Erudites were just plain blind, which is why Harvester was so desired for Human necros and why so many Monk items had vision on them. You'd literally get lost in the tiny tunnel entrance/exit to Halas.

Edit: Also the super secret T button which activated your non item permanent torch.

Those quirky elements give the game world so much flavor. Designing them out for "convenience" just makes it all so bland. It isn't like people chose only the races with good vision because of it. Due to how common Serpent Sight items were (relatively speaking) many people remember old EQ in a red tint.

Being a blind ass barbarian compared to a serpent sight red tinted Iksar or an ultravision DE were completely different experiences. Especially in the first three expansions. Like a totally different world. Hell being one of the evil races was a totally different game or Iksar before they designed that shit out with the Plane of Knowledge also.

Seeing the evolution of game design sacrificing flavor for convenience in EQ is pretty fascinating though.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I speak for all night blind barbarians when I say, fuck the tunnel between Halas and Everfrost.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Those quirky elements give the game world so much flavor. Designing them out for "convenience" just makes it all so bland. It isn't like people chose only the races with good vision because of it. Due to how common Serpent Sight items were (relatively speaking) many people remember old EQ in a red tint.

Being a blind ass barbarian compared to a serpent sight red tinted Iksar or an ultravision DE were completely different experiences. Especially in the first three expansions. Like a totally different world. Hell being one of the evil races was a totally different game or Iksar before they designed that shit out with the Plane of Knowledge also.

Seeing the evolution of game design sacrificing flavor for convenience in EQ is pretty fascinating though.
My first character was a Human Ranger and I remember not being able to navigate the tunnel from Surefall to QH until I bought a lantern. Always thouggt that was pretty cool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Lol who are these people playing TLP?
End priest monopoly .... | EverQuest Forums

My first character was a Human Ranger and I remember not being able to navigate the tunnel from Surefall to QH until I bought a lantern. Always thouggt that was pretty cool.

Yeah that's a good example, totally remember that. The tunnel curves a bit and isn't that short. I definitely got turned around and stuck and ran against the walls over and over again.