Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Sterling

El Presidente
DoDH currently which is awesome, PoR is next which is pretty bad but then there's good ones after that.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I will be creating my paladin after work this evening. I will be feeling dirty shortly afterwords for giving DBG my money yet again, and probably spend the night curled up in the tub trying to cry the shame away :p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
And... that's $15 I will never get back. Holy shit what a waste of money.

I logged in, ran around what appeared to be a fucking empty server, and was like well fuck me. /camp

• 1Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean the server is definitely top heavy. It takes like 20-30 minutes to do the tutorial and hit level ~ 10 with what's essentially a reskinned set of crude defiant armor. most alts get PLed so there's not a lot of low level groups probably. but the xp is real dumb fast so nobody stays low level very long at all. like people get to max level from 1 in hours.

Also, it's bonus xp right now.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I mean the server is definitely top heavy. It takes like 20-30 minutes to do the tutorial and hit level ~ 10 with what's essentially a reskinned set of crude defiant armor. most alts get PLed so there's not a lot of low level groups probably. but the xp is real dumb fast so nobody stays low level very long at all. like people get to max level from 1 in hours.

Also, it's bonus xp right now.
I have no issue putting time in to leveling, but what concerned me was trying to solo a paladin to max level with no groups, no power leveling, and no mercs. I should have thought about it, but for some reason I was thinking that Selos had mercs at this point.

As much as I having to drag a box around behind me, I'll probably do just that, so I can have a healer.

Sterling

El Presidente
I have no issue putting time in to leveling, but what concerned me was trying to solo a paladin to max level with no groups, no power leveling, and no mercs. I should have thought about it, but for some reason I was thinking that Selos had mercs at this point.

As much as I having to drag a box around behind me, I'll probably do just that, so I can have a healer.
Yeah, I'd imagine low level groups are just rare at this point. Mercs aren't until Seeds of Destruction which is still pretty far out.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And paladin is about the worst class to try and solo and even duo will be rough. Great for larger box groups, though.

Make sure you're at least going the undead route.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I generally advise against going a tank unless either part of a boxed group and/or used to raiding. A non raiding tank also reliant on others to group can be a rough prospect. If you do have raider friends you plan to join, make them help you level! If you plan to box army, mercs aren't needed. If you are a solo char as I expect... how badly do you really feel the need to wear plate??

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
And... that's $15 I will never get back. Holy shit what a waste of money.

I logged in, ran around what appeared to be a fucking empty server, and was like well fuck me. /camp
I used to do what you did. I’d resub then run around then logoff. So what I did was install Eqemu on a Linux vm. So whenever nostalgia hit, I’d logon my eqemu server, make my character GM, summon whatever gear I wanted, max level etc.. I’d warp to whatever zones I wanted, turn off aggro, instant kill shit, run around.. I’d do that for awhile and it would satisfy the itch then log off until next time. It keeps me from resubbing.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I generally advise against going a tank unless either part of a boxed group and/or used to raiding. A non raiding tank also reliant on others to group can be a rough prospect. If you do have raider friends you plan to join, make them help you level! If you plan to box army, mercs aren't needed. If you are a solo char as I expect... how badly do you really feel the need to wear plate??
Tanking is my favorite play style in any MMORPG, but I get what you are saying, and it is really just that much more so when it comes to EverQuest. As much as everyone likes to tout how easy EverQuest is compared to what we used to believe when it was current, the game is not very forgiving to those who are not raid geared and have the "needed" classes available to them at all times.

The thing is I have done the warrior class up to 100 on my old Live server. I've been there, done that. I have done the Shadow Knight up through Shadows of Luclin, so kind of the same been there, done that sort of thing. Paladin is the only tank class that I have never gotten very high in levels. At the same time, the reason I have never gotten a paladin very high is because the class is so annoyingly under powered to the extent that I usually get frustrated with it and rage quit lol.

I don't know. The thought of playing the game again on my own with a box just makes me say, "what's the point." I only ever play MMORPGs for the social part of these games. If I am going to do it alone again, I might as well go back to my Live server which might just be the right answer because I will have mercs to at least group with there. Meh....

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tanking is my favorite play style in any MMORPG, but I get what you are saying, and it is really just that much more so when it comes to EverQuest. As much as everyone likes to tout how easy EverQuest is compared to what we used to believe when it was current, the game is not very forgiving to those who are not raid geared and have the "needed" classes available to them at all times.

The thing is I have done the warrior class up to 100 on my old Live server. I've been there, done that. I have done the Shadow Knight up through Shadows of Luclin, so kind of the same been there, done that sort of thing. Paladin is the only tank class that I have never gotten very high in levels. At the same time, the reason I have never gotten a paladin very high is because the class is so annoyingly under powered to the extent that I usually get frustrated with it and rage quit lol.

I don't know. The thought of playing the game again on my own with a box just makes me say, "what's the point." I only ever play MMORPGs for the social part of these games. If I am going to do it alone again, I might as well go back to my Live server which might just be the right answer because I will have mercs to at least group with there. Meh....

There is a huge difference between boxing a 2nd char vs playing alone! Also, you would really only be playing alone for the first little bit until you have some levels and there are non-soloing folks around again. Once you get closer to 70, you should find a ton of cheap but decent gear; attuneables below the bis ones go dirt cheap. Then you get the dodh mission candyland, with 200hp stuff just hurled at you for winning easy missions.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
There is a huge difference between boxing a 2nd char vs playing alone! Also, you would really only be playing alone for the first little bit until you have some levels and there are non-soloing folks around again. Once you get closer to 70, you should find a ton of cheap but decent gear; attuneables below the bis ones go dirt cheap. Then you get the dodh mission candyland, with 200hp stuff just hurled at you for winning easy missions.
If there are groups to be had at level 70, then I am in. I just don't want to put the time and effort in to leveling a character up only to find that there's nobody playing at max level other than to raid once or twice a week. I'll give it a shot. I will just force my brother to play a shaman or cleric with me (even though he swore off Everquest lol), and roll a new shadow knight.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
come to ragefire =) ill PL u =)
I'm really only interested in Selos, and it is because of the insanely fast experience and one month expansion unlocks.
I had enough of EverQuest being a second job for me for most of the past two decades. That ship sailed. I just want to be able to play, get AAs, and eventually raid once a week (maybe twice). I'm old, cranky, and hate people getting on my God damned lawn, so yeah. Selos is the only server I would play on (short of Live) at this point.

***edited to add the stuff below***
To be clear, the reason I quit EverQuest the last time was because I was on The Mangler server, and one day I looked at all of the poop socking, training, and general fuckery going on just to play with 20 year old content, and I was like NO. Fuck No. Ten years ago, maybe, but now I just don't give two flying fucks enough to deal with all that bullshit. It just wasn't worth it.

The Selos server only makes it worth it because of the general ease of being able to play the game we all arguably still like with out the bullshit associated with playing it. If it wasn't for the Selos server, EverQuest wouldn't be re-installed on my computer.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
the good thing about ragefire is that you can setup your own duo or trio and multi box like a champ. If you can spare $30 a month, then you can do a full 5-6 team and get to experience most of EQ.

cq_michah

Silver Squire
there's typically groups going at 70. at the moment it's heavy on people doing spell lines in dodh group content. boxing 2-3 total characters typically means you just team up with 1-2 other people to fill out a group and go do crap. selos moves so fast, it's tough to completely gear out your toons before the next expansion drops. we'll hit TSS in about a month and a half as well, which will bump xp rates again and adds another set of zones that makes it easy to go from 1-75 .