Fallout 76

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I can promise you this will not be another New Vegas.

Oh trust me I know. I am just saying I would love another New Vegas, but didn't Bethesda get all butthurt at Obsidian over it and said they wouldn't work with them again or something?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Obsidian would get a bonus if the game scored 90+ on metacritic. The game scored 89. Lots of drama followed. Both companies said to not work together again. Bethesda also salty over how well the game was received by fans compared to Fallout 3.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Poin Dexter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A friend of mine who is originally from West Virginia plotted the locations mentioned using Google Earth. The map, if they keep the scale, will be huge. The first blue square is the minimum for the locations he saw. The expanded square includes West Virginia University, so potentially we could have a map the size of West Virginia.
FB_IMG_1529033716834.jpg

I am okay with this, but just don't have the time for MMOs much anymore.

Cybsled

A friend of mine who is originally from West Virginia plotted the locations mentioned using Google Earth. The map, if they keep the scale, will be huge. The first blue square is the minimum for the locations he saw. The expanded square includes West Virginia University, so potentially we could have a map the size of West Virginia.
View attachment 168283

I am okay with this, but just don't have the time for MMOs much anymore.

Makes sense Vault 76 is the Greenbrier Resort nuclear shelter (which is real...it was intended for Congress and built during the cold war, but when it was discovered to be under the resort in like the early 90s, they decommissioned it and presumably made an alternative one elsewhere)

Dull

Molten Core Raider
The Greenbrier is not Vault 76, think it was explained in the noclip vid. Vault 76 is north of Charleston somewhere. It is an area that can be explored though, so prob a dungeon of some sorts with a fallout theme of ironic doom. You are supposed to get a quest to go to each region, Im guessing the Greenbrier is the end quest for that region.

Cybsled

Maybe the Enclave, then? Enclave had a heavy component of US Government at its core. The Tricentenial game version (the $79 one) mentions skin coloration for the various power armor and specifically mentions the X-01. While FO4 Nuka World sort of retconned the origin a bit and tried to explain the X-01 in the park was an early prototype, the traditional lore always had the Enclave finalizing the power armor after the war.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like co-op survival but have avoided Rust / etc. because I don't have time to be bothered with PvP / griefing at the same time (for PvP I'll play BR or League or something totally PvP) - I like the Fallout mainline games well enough but I'm kind of hopeful there'll be "blue" shards or something and I can co-op this, it sort of implies that'll be possible. Honestly the gameplay being fun is one of the biggest questions for me, it didn't look like a copy of FO4 but didn't look totally new either.

This is my main concern as well. If I am exploring dungeons and farming them for gear or mats for gear, some asshat coming in and fucking with my group is an annoyance and hinders my ability to complete the task I am actually setting out to do.

However, after watching the no clip video, my concerns have been mostly alleviated. The only thing is, it seems the higher ups who are designing the actual multiplayer aspect are from backgrounds in games I didn't much care for (UO and SWG). Also, they are taking a hard "no fear" approach design. They don't want to cut something out of fear of how players will react so my impression is they are putting everything in and waiting to see how the players react. So the first few months will be rough.

Link to video.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I think, and this might be just me talking out of my ass here, that them limiting the servers to 12-24 ppl will reduce the number of fucktards that are on each server.

Imagine you've got a server with the capacity of 2K, and a quarter of them are fucktards. That means that you'll have 500 fucktards all being fucktarded together, and as we all know.... Being fucktarded, breeds other fucktardedness. Here, what you'll have At the most, 5-7 (assuming that the top of the population cap is up near 30) people being fucktards.

The same goes for hackers, but I really feel that this game's woes will be over hackers.

*shrug* I guess we'll see.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It is likely to be Bethesda's breakout game, as they are currently only selling it through their website.

Fallout 76 Complete FAQ

It seems that Steam had better revise their business model, or get left in the dust by everybody and their brother by their own launchers.
Hahaha hah... Yeah, no. They pretty much defined that corner of the marker, thus it's quite the opposite. Everyone hates any additional launcher. They (I) only tolerate it when the game is actually worth playing, which is nigh far and few between. You have to be Blizzard level to have your own launcher and have some semblance of success, which Destiny 2 and the latest Call of Duty are playable through. Try as they may, they won't replace Steam any time soon.

• 4Solidarity

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like Bethesda just wants me to pirate their games then.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like

Rime

<Donor>
Not to mention that Steam servers tend to be heads-and-shoulders above most single party servers (Hi Ubisoft!). Both in terms of stability and being user friendly.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not for Doom, E6 and Rage 2 if that’s what he meant.
However with the way things are headed, E6 could be online.

Of all their upcoming games, that one would make the least sense, and I would say with near 100% certainty that it won't. ESO is a thing and if their sub base is anywhere near that 11 million they boasted, it will still be around 4 or 5 years from now. Could it have co-op? Sure. I just don't see it being all online like 76.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think, and this might be just me talking out of my ass here, that them limiting the servers to 12-24 ppl will reduce the number of fucktards that are on each server.

Imagine you've got a server with the capacity of 2K, and a quarter of them are fucktards. That means that you'll have 500 fucktards all being fucktarded together, and as we all know.... Being fucktarded, breeds other fucktardedness. Here, what you'll have At the most, 5-7 (assuming that the top of the population cap is up near 30) people being fucktards.

The same goes for hackers, but I really feel that this game's woes will be over hackers.

*shrug* I guess we'll see.

you ever play gta online?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Hahaha hah... Yeah, no. They pretty much defined that corner of the marker, thus it's quite the opposite. Everyone hates any additional launcher. They (I) only tolerate it when the game is actually worth playing, which is nigh far and few between. You have to be Blizzard level to have your own launcher and have some semblance of success, which Destiny 2 and the latest Call of Duty are playable through. Try as they may, they won't replace Steam any time soon.

Not them by themselves, no. Take Origin, take Ubiplay, take Bethesda launcher, I'm quite sure there are one or two that I'm forgetting.

It starts to add up.

• 1Like