Fallout - New Vegas

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Realize Hugh Laurie GIF

If you know, you know.

Got through the utilities with one hiccup but confirmed working.

There better be some titties in these new graphics.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Interesting. Quite a handful of actual names involved in the voice acting that I wasn't aware of (including curiosities like Tom Cruise's cousin).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if Project Nevada is still supported, but I wouldn't play FNV again without it.

I also loved Warzones, but it kinda makes the game over the top for a first playthrough.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Figures I would hit a problem on the last god damn step of this VNV modding shit.

Anyone else done this recently? When I hit Mod Manager Download, it doesn't show up in MO2. If I do a manual download, there is not a loadorder.txt in the archive. Am I missing something?

1713298616627.png

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just do a vanilla + unofficial patch playthrough. Modding can be a fucking headache and always takes a long ass time. The vanilla game is good enough.

I've been modding Skyrim for over a decade now. Once or twice each year from a clean install. And it always takes at least 2 weeks for me to be satisfied and get a stable setup.

• 1Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Figures I would hit a problem on the last god damn step of this VNV modding shit.

Anyone else done this recently? When I hit Mod Manager Download, it doesn't show up in MO2. If I do a manual download, there is not a loadorder.txt in the archive. Am I missing something?

View attachment 524975
To answer your question, though, go to the Files section and manual download Load Order. It's the second file, under JAM - VNV Configuration.

If there is really no loadorder.txt in that archive then something is fucked on the Nexus site. If you preview file contents you can see it in there.

loadorder.txt (2.1 kB)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know if Project Nevada is still supported, but I wouldn't play FNV again without it.
1713303241452.png

There's a mini-guide to mostly replace it with mods that actually still work right below that though.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
To answer your question, though, go to the Files section and manual download Load Order. It's the second file, under JAM - VNV Configuration.

If there is really no loadorder.txt in that archive then something is fucked on the Nexus site. If you preview file contents you can see it in there.

loadorder.txt (2.1 kB)

Thanks. That's a different archive than the one that was turning up for me when I searched.

It's crashing when I launch, though. I don't have the patience for this.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I want to play this but it seems a bit dated and clunky. Is there a mod pack to make it look and feel a bit more current? Viva New Vegas it sounds like?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I want to play this but it seems a bit dated and clunky. Is there a mod pack to make it look and feel a bit more current? Viva New Vegas it sounds like?

You can certainly mod the shit out of it, but it is a bit old and clunky it is old.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bethesda game 101 is for a first playthrough, go in without mods or maybe the unofficial patch at most. Starting off with a bunch of mod spaghetti is just going to break stuff and leave you with the video game equivalent of the Star Wars special editions, i.e. a bunch of out of place crap added that does nothing but spoil the experience.

Once you've put a bunch of hours in, maybe add some here and there stuff for your specific taste.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
New Vegas is solid but the New Vegas DLC packs are among the best DLC ever made.
They were all great except for Dead Money. In a vacuum maybe it was all right, but compared to everything else related to New Vegas, that DLC was balls.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday going through the VNV directions. They did a nice job of trying to be very detailed about it. I nevertheless had issues getting it going.

It's one thing to run a single total conversion mod, like Prophesy of Pendor, that fundamentally transforms the game and makes it more than it ever would have been vanilla, or a single mod or even a handful of them to change some things you don't like. But when you have to go through a a long, tedious process of dozens of mods to fix bugs, stabilize the game, make the UI friendly, etc., it just seems like a lot to bring it across the finish line.

I always wonder why the original devs didn't address the issues that the modders did. Too busy counting their money I guess.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I spent quite a bit of time yesterday going through the VNV directions. They did a nice job of trying to be very detailed about it. I nevertheless had issues getting it going.

It's one thing to run a single total conversion mod, like Prophesy of Pendor, that fundamentally transforms the game and makes it more than it ever would have been vanilla, or a single mod or even a handful of them to change some things you don't like. But when you have to go through a a long, tedious process of dozens of mods to fix bugs, stabilize the game, make the UI friendly, etc., it just seems like a lot to bring it across the finish line.

I always wonder why the original devs didn't address the issues that the modders did. Too busy counting their money I guess.
The only time I actually completed New Vegas was when it came out, with zero mods. I don't remember running into any game breaking bugs, although it's been a while, so the ol memory might not be 100%. I also don't know of a single game that doesn't have bugs, that never get fixed, but they are usually minor bugs not game breaking ones.

Bethesda seems unable to fix a lot of clipping issues and other various small hiccups in their engine, plus, since it's so old, the code is probably spaghetti. While Obsidian was one of the better studios for story/narrative, they are also known for buggy products. Add that on top of needing to learn/build on another studios engine, means, they probably had a huge list of bugs to work though, sorted by priority. I'm sure the refusal of Bethesda to pay Obsidian a bonus, because they missed the target metacritic score by 1 point didn't make anyone in the studio more inclined to support the game longer than they were contractually obligated too.

For the first playthrough, if you don't know if you will even like the game enough to spend all this time modding it, I would skip all the "optional" extended mods, outside of maybe some GFX up-scaling under "Visuals" (basically stopping at "Base Finish"):
2024-04-17 08.35.50 vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com 8aecc85900df.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Bethesda game 101 is for a first playthrough, go in without mods or maybe the unofficial patch at most. Starting off with a bunch of mod spaghetti is just going to break stuff and leave you with the video game equivalent of the Star Wars special editions, i.e. a bunch of out of place crap added that does nothing but spoil the experience.

Once you've put a bunch of hours in, maybe add some here and there stuff for your specific taste.

Problem is you cannot sprint in the vanilla game - you need a mod. "Jogging" is dreadfully slow.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The relationship between Obsidian and Bethesda wasn't exactly cordial and they likely didn't want to dedicate any further resources. And it's not like you have to spend hours setting up some huge array of mods to play the game, last time I think all I installed was Mission Mojave.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Arrogance from gaming companies. Hell Blizzard hates their modding community. Hell if these places weren't retarded they would toss the modders a few bucks take the best of all of them and make official updates so the game isn't American Inventor aids.

Or they could just offer the most popular and best modders a fucking job.