Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Malkav

French Madman
Could have posted the more Comic-con recent trailer.

I'm actually looking forward to it after this one.

Ladro

Anomaly
Yeah, that looks great. Not a Potter nerd, so no idea if this fits in at all but it looks like a great new take on the universe.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What's the point of this? Are they expanding the universe or do they actually think it can make blockbuster money with out an Emma equivalent?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's Harry Potter. There's no chance this movie doesn't make bank. If it's GOOD, the others will too, that's the trick. Also yes apparently Rowling is expanding.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Am I just becoming more cynical or does it feel more and more like movies are just being made as licenses to print money as time goes by?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Am I just becoming more cynical or does it feel more and more like movies are just being made as licenses to print money as time goes by?

Movies cost so much nowadays that Hollywood isn't willing to take chances for shit anymore. If they can't see it becoming a mega franchise or it it's too original an idea they will pass on it. They'd rather pump out shitty remakes hoping we ate enough member berries for them to cash in again.

Fuck, If I had the money I'd bankroll a Dresden Files series. I can totally see that being a huge franchise.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Call me crazy, i'm looking forward to this moreso than I was about the original HP series. Eddie Redmayne has had a good recent track record. Mind you, his movies have been "different" but he's won/been nominated for enough awards recently to be able to judge scripts and has enough pull to basically choose what he wants to play in (so he won't be in what he thinks are shit movies).

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I have to admit that the idea of a movie in the Harry Potter universe without being tied to the plot of the books (which I loved, but were obviously difficult to break down into movies) is appealing. There's a hint that they're going to try to tie it into the Grindelwald stuff, which could be really interesting. "Nomags" sounds goofy though, they should fire whoever came up with that idea.

Movies cost so much nowadays that Hollywood isn't willing to take chances for shit anymore. If they can't see it becoming a mega franchise or it it's too original an idea they will pass on it. They'd rather pump out shitty remakes hoping we ate enough member berries for them to cash in again.

That's the part I don't get - shouldn't they be getting cheaper? Or at least eventually be on their way to becoming cheaper? I admit to being totally ignorant when it comes to this sutff, but everyone goes on about how a regular laptop has more computing power than the machines they used to do the special effects in 90's blockbusters - what's inflating the cost of production so much other than special effects? Obviously studios are using cutting edge technology, but why would that be relatively more expensive than it was 20 or 30 years ago? And why can't smaller studios put out better shit with 80's/90's tier special effects?

Fuck, If I had the money I'd bankroll a Dresden Files series. I can totally see that being a huge franchise.

I don't think Dresden would work as a movie franchise, there's just too much content to it, and the fanbase isn't quite large enough to push it through from the obligatory "introduction/origins" movie into a full blown franchise.

I can totally see it as a TV series though (a decent one, not that piece of shit scyfy put out). They'd have to move some stuff around and hopefully rework some of the earlier storylines, but they could definitely pull it off, and with all the extra screen time they could dig into things in a lot more detail.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So the latest news is Depp is coming to Fantastic Beasts 2 and he's potentially already made an appearance in one of the trailers?

Sounds like they're attempting to get the hype train rolling full steam.

I'm completely open to this movie. I think it is a universe that lends itself to a bunch of different stories. I'll watch and if it's good i'll release my inner fan boy but if it's not, I can also tolerate some mediocre entertainment. Before all the Marvel stuff, I pretty did that with most movies.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Depp huh? Not all that appealing to me, honestly. I enjoy him in "his" roles and in scripts built for that oddness. But, I'm not sure I'd want it in the HP universe. He's just too "Depp", all the time.

• 1Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Depp huh? Not all that appealing to me, honestly. I enjoy him in "his" roles and in scripts built for that oddness. But, I'm not sure I'd want it in the HP universe. He's just too "Depp", all the time.
Exactly. I realize I'm not the vast majority of viewers, but as soon as someone tells me that certain actors (Depp firmly among them) are part of a movie, I'm automatically less interested because it tends to become more about them than the actual movie itself. Conversely, you tell me that Cruise is associated with something I was originally meh on? I'm all in.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I watched the trailers for this and it looks fucking dumb. Yall smoking fucking meth

• 1Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've enjoyed the HP books and movies, so I am looking forward to this.

Seeing it's getting good reviews is nice, because I wasn't totally sold on it yet.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
So the latest news is Depp is coming to Fantastic Beasts 2 and he's potentially already made an appearance in one of the trailers?

Sounds like they're attempting to get the hype train rolling full steam.

I'm completely open to this movie. I think it is a universe that lends itself to a bunch of different stories. I'll watch and if it's good i'll release my inner fan boy but if it's not, I can also tolerate some mediocre entertainment. Before all the Marvel stuff, I pretty did that with most movies.

Oh boy, Sweeney Todd in a wizard robe. New and exciting. :/