Far Cry 6

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
ubisoft reigns in its politics, in far cry 5, a game about a cult leader doing crazy shit in Montana, it basically boiled down to "cults are whack, eh".
It was a remarkably multi-racial cult for rural Montana.

Is saying rural Montana redundant?

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wanted to like this, played Far Cry 5 and New Dawn all the way through. The story is good enough for Far Cry. The dialogue is sharp when they don't interrupt it with stupid reality TV style popouts that destroy immersion. They also stupidly mix Spanish and English in one sentence, which is incoherent and unrealistic. The weapons are mostly reasonable, the world is gorgeous, everything basically works.

But the game design drives me nuts. Different ammo types against humans? It's like they realized this was so dumb, they had to put an ammo workbench in every mission zone because nobody can be bothered to check what ammo type to bring. No saved game slots. First-person horse riding (super-useful, since the car physics are dubious) is hilaarious to watch. Oh look, I did another random beisbol slide. Your stealth approach is ruined because of ferrets. I hope you like shooting dogs. And I'm not crafting my own guns in a modern world.

Most important of all, there's no progress in this war. There's no feeling of fighting the tyranny. Even Homefront accomplished this. This game, you just wander around and random blue and red people pop up. I don't feel like I'm in a guerilla war, I feel like I'm in a 3D skinner box, the bad kind, where the animal gets punished no matter what they do so they just adopt learned helplessness.

I got to the secret ending and felt like yeah, good. Great place to exit.

• 1Salty
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
I do like the story a lot more than FC5, and so far I haven't been captured and had to escape once which is a 10x improvement over FC5. I do like story beats so far, I haven't seen much of Gus Fring but it works well.

but yeah, all your points are 100% dead on. The ammo shit is dumb, I couldn't figure out why my sniper was doing fuck all against armor people for a long time but 1 shotting no helmet people. You are totally right it doesn't feel like you are in a war at all, just running around helping randos with no goal in mind. Its a bummer there are so many red areas that don't seem to ever "flip", another reason why using cars is impractical since their tires get blown so easily and enemies never get cleared of a spot.

I'm hoping to finish the main story today and trade it in (GS giving $45 for copies of the game until monday, with pro) and then come back next year to plat the game and play the DLCs. I enjoy the game, but 30-50 hours is probably the point at which I'm getting bored and I'm getting close to that. Fortunately this one seems a LOT shorter if you skip most of the side stuff.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Snipers (and SMGs) are all terrible. All you need is a rifle with AP ammo. Even at the beginning of the game the MS16 S is sufficient to one-shot anything with a headshot, and it doesn't take long at all to unlock the SSGP-58. You can also use the resolver nailgun, which is one of the strongest weapons in the game... if you can tolerate the horrible sight picture and massive amount of "bullet" drop. The ammo system is retarded but it's also completely inconsequential when you just need to put AP ammo on every gun you use but three--EMP arrows on your bow, blast ammo on your LMG (because sometimes you want to blow up the tank or whatever instead of just shutting it down), and buckshot on your shotgun (which is actually "soft target" ammo, but in my experience it does way more damage than slugs even on helmeted enemies). I do think it's really moronic that the best suppressors are made out of a plastic jug rather than at a SilencerCo factory, but I guess someone at Ubi Toronto really dug his heels in with the whole Cuban "resolver" thing.

There's definitely some weird shit with the vehicles too. It feels like the FOV drops to about 45 when you get on a horse, car FOV isn't much better, and so many of them are nigh impossible to see out of that I've been wishing for 3rd person driving from the very start. I pretty much only use the buzzer since I first found one. Not only is it by far the easiest air vehicle to fly but you can also summon it at both helicopter stations and boat docks. And probably about half the guerrilla camps in the wild have one outside too.

I agree about it not really feeling like a war is going on. I took over or destroyed about 3/4 of the stuff on the map before really getting into the main quests and ol' Gus is completely oblivious to already having lost most of the country in cutscenes. It's just another Ubi theme park with a different skin on it.

I do like the story a lot more than FC5, and so far I haven't been captured and had to escape once which is a 10x improvement over FC5.
I barely even feel like it has a story. It's more like a bunch of character interactions and I liked FC5's characters much more. FC6 reminds me more of New Dawn, which I hated so much I never even finished.

Unless you've been ignoring the Libertad main quest chain you might not be as far as you think. There's one FC5-style capture/escape sequence that branches off of one of Juan's missions. Haven't seen anymore since though, fortunately.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Also, every single faction leader by the end is a female. All of the men, if there were any to begin with (you fucking FtM tranny, I see you...) die off in the course of the story.

So it's an entirely women leadership cast "saving" Yara from a bunch of men and his son.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
People still pay attention to stories in video games?

Joel Mchale Lol GIF by NETFLIX

I'm kidding, I know it's just me. I can't be bothered anymore. 70% is just bad, 20% woke bad, and 10% bad jokes. I do wish I had paid more attention to Pillars of Eternity, though. That looked like some quality writing and would have probably made a good book. Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire were both ass in the writing department.

I like this game, but I am tired of the devolution of mechanics and gameplay system/loop reward structures. The ammo and gear mechanics are pants on head but still playable, driving sucks, sniping people still has a therapeutic joy for me, Chorizo is awesome and adorable (that little wheel chair damn near made my shrivelled heard move), and I enjoy running around the world collecting and doing the things. I just wish the rewards structures were a little more deep and involved.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i got kinda bored about halfway thru the game and trading it in today without finishing, i'll dip back when the digital version is $20 in a few months. i didn't even think about the fact that all the rebel leaders are women, its true lol. i was distracted by the fact that you keep running into hot chicks who have handcuffed other hot chicks and you have to murder one hot chick to save another.

i guess 2024 far cry will be mostly fat lesbians, sad

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here is my review :
Pros : it's farcry
Cons : it's farcry

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
A few hours into this and the only political thing I've seen so far was that retarded "American Dream doesn't apply to brown people" take.

Roughly how long is this if I power through and don't do any optional stuff? Because I've got a lot on my plate, but I'd like to get through this while it's still new.

• 1Worf

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
A few hours into this and the only political thing I've seen so far was that retarded "American Dream doesn't apply to brown people" take.

Roughly how long is this if I power through and don't do any optional stuff? Because I've got a lot on my plate, but I'd like to get through this while it's still new.
20-30 hours from my seconds of research.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

How long to beat Far Cry 6

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I also checked HLTB. I'm asking on here to get other people's experiences, because HLTB isn't always on the mark. For example it has Metroid Dread listed at 8 hours and it took me around 20 to beat that game (ingame clock said 11, but it resets your time upon death/reload so that isn't accurate to the actual time spent).

Is 20 an actual reasonable time for an average player to power through while skipping optional stuff? Because that isn't bad at all.

Not sure how far I am exactly. I think I'm Rank 4, probably about 3 hours /played.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
They gave us the big flamethrower edition we rarely get collector edition. It's pretty cool TBH.

Among all the games I worked on at Ubisoft. FC2, AC2, Watch_Dog, FC4, Primal, FC5, FC New Dawn and FC6. The only collector I have is FC2, Primal and FC6.

Primal is awesome because it comes with the dictionary of Proto-Indo-European language version used by the actor.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They should do an FC1-3 remastered trilogy with various QOL improvements for the first two to bring them up to FC3's QOL.

Most people missed the first two, and FC3 is rough visually now. Much like GTA4 and Demon's Souls (until recently) it's kinda stuck on the island of antiquated PS3 hardware. It'd also mean all six are playable on current-gen. I'd jump for a 1-3 collection.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is 20 an actual reasonable time for an average player to power through while skipping optional stuff? Because that isn't bad at all.
I think you could beat it in 20-25h if you're really selective about what you do. As far as side content goes you can probably skip most POIs, but you'll definitely want to clear out all the AA sites and probably any checkpoints you happen to be near.

For weapons, all you need are the SSGP-58 rifle (AP ammo, 5x ACOG and other 4* mods), MG42 LMG (blast ammo, 4* mods), and Compound Bow (EMP arrows, whichever sight you prefer). I'd advise spending the 300 premium credits you get for free on the Cartomancer shotgun, it's easily the best premium gun and there's nothing else worth spending that currency on. If you care about having a pistol, get the Desert Eagle (it's from an easy treasure hunt in Esperanza). If you don't do a lot of side content, you'll be severely lacking in upgrade materials so it's pretty important not to waste any gunpowder or electronics on anything but the best of the best guns. It's fine to buy stuff like ammo, scopes, pointers, suppressors, etc. for early guns because that stuff is useable on all weapons of the same type. Just don't waste mats on garbage like SMGs or sniper rifles.

As far as armor goes, you can complete the game with just the Parkour and Scrounger sets which you find very early on. Prisoner's set which you should find quickly in higher level areas is handy too. If you have the season pass from Ubi+ or whatever, it's definitely worth using at least the chest and gloves from the Blood Dragon set.

For amigos, Guapo is so bad that he's actually a liability. Instead, do the treasure hunt that starts on noob island and then sends you to each of the other 3 regions. It doesn't take long at all and you get some pretty good shit from it, including the only amigo that's really worth using. I'd strongly recommend doing the Chicarron missions too. He's useless, but the missions themselves are some of the funniest writing in the game imo.

That should be about all you really need to do outside of the main story missions.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think you could beat it in 20-25h if you're really selective about what you do. As far as side content goes you can probably skip most POIs, but you'll definitely want to clear out all the AA sites and probably any checkpoints you happen to be near.

For weapons, all you need are the SSGP-58 rifle (AP ammo, 5x ACOG and other 4* mods), MG42 LMG (blast ammo, 4* mods), and Compound Bow (EMP arrows, whichever sight you prefer). I'd advise spending the 300 premium credits you get for free on the Cartomancer shotgun, it's easily the best premium gun and there's nothing else worth spending that currency on. If you care about having a pistol, get the Desert Eagle (it's from an easy treasure hunt in Esperanza). If you don't do a lot of side content, you'll be severely lacking in upgrade materials so it's pretty important not to waste any gunpowder or electronics on anything but the best of the best guns. It's fine to buy stuff like ammo, scopes, pointers, suppressors, etc. for early guns because that stuff is useable on all weapons of the same type. Just don't waste mats on garbage like SMGs or sniper rifles.

As far as armor goes, you can complete the game with just the Parkour and Scrounger sets which you find very early on. Prisoner's set which you should find quickly in higher level areas is handy too. If you have the season pass from Ubi+ or whatever, it's definitely worth using at least the chest and gloves from the Blood Dragon set.

For amigos, Guapo is so bad that he's actually a liability. Instead, do the treasure hunt that starts on noob island and then sends you to each of the other 3 regions. It doesn't take long at all and you get some pretty good shit from it, including the only amigo that's really worth using. I'd strongly recommend doing the Chicarron missions too. He's useless, but the missions themselves are some of the funniest writing in the game imo.

That should be about all you really need to do outside of the main story missions.

Good info here, thanks. I'm a shotgun-thusiast so I'm grabbing that Cartomancer now.

spronk

FPS noob
you'd have to be super focused and essentially follow a walkthrough to finish in 20 hours, my PS5 shows I played FC6 for 34 hours and I would say I'm not even halfway through the main story with tons of side stuff undone. There are 24 military bases and 100+ side spots to capture, I barely have 20% of them capped, and while most are optional its easy to spend hours just fucking around exploring just those things, especially if you decide to try and stealth or explore the hidden routes in them. Plus there are hundreds of diaries, logs and notes and shit everywhere to read.

I stopped playing for now, trading into gamestop for $46 was too tempting but I plan to return some time. I'd say realistically for most average gamers you're looking at 30-40 hours just zip through main story skipping side stuff, 50 hours if you do most of the stuff that seems reasonable, and 60-70 hours to 100% the game. Still way, way shorter than recent Assassin Creed games.

Don't forget either though there are 3 DLC packs that are supposed to come out over the next 9 months.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Gonna tap out on this one and return it. Got about 8 hours in, gameplay is fine, I love the puppy dog.

Holy shit though, all the humans are insufferable twats. It's clearly based on the Batista regime which is far removed from Cuba's actual struggles today...with the insufferable twats who took over after Batista. Of course Ubisoft goes with the "communists as the good guys" approach. They have zero plan for what to do after they win, and they're a bunch of violent sociopathic fucks. Before 2020 I'd laugh off stuff like this, now it's no longer funny.

• 1Salty