Fear the Walking Dead

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think if you accept that this is an airborne contagion that everyone has, there's really never any way of containing it. You can't just quarantine people until a cure is found. So, even if the initial outbreak is dealt with, there will constantly be new zombies showing up everywhere due to how many people die on a daily basis, many unexpectedly.

Ganthorn

N00b
Ya everyone would have to sleep in separate rooms with simple locks on the doors in case someone just randomly died in their sleep suddenly

Cybsled

Even then, the risk of worldwide collapse of civilization wouldn't happen. Slow zombies are only a threat if they reach a certain critical mass, and short of millions of people just randomly dying, I could never see that happening.

Dawn of the Dead remake or World War Z movie zombies, though...I totally buy that. They reanimate in seconds and sprint. Civilization would be fucked because the rate of spread would overwhelm people's ability to adapt. Plus it is a lot harder to headshot a sprinting zombie then some derp slow one.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Remember when Hershel kept a herd in his barn because he thought they were just sick?

People just don't up and stab grandma in the brain when she starts biting people.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Right, I think Cybsled assumes there's 1 zombie then word gets out and the next day everyone knows what's going on.

That shit would go on for a while and go pretty far before anyone had any idea what was up.

Shit, I think around 200,000 people die every day as it is

Ganthorn

N00b
Right, I think Cybsled assumes there's 1 zombie then word gets out and the next day everyone knows what's going on.

That shit would go on for a while and go pretty far before anyone had any idea what was up.

Yes. And if the initial infection of the virus itself caused many people to get sick/die or be too weak to fight off the ones that did die and turn you could get critical mass fast

Nuttin_sl

shitlord

Well if +200 k dies every day and rise again, how long time do you reckon it would take for before the mortuaries reported in?

- Hey Bob, you sure the people who was in that bus accident, wasnt alive?
- Cause they are moving now and growling in a language I dont understand.

But that shit never happens in movies, instead they investigate by theirselves and die....

Now in most zombie movies, the people working at a mortuary, is a late working, coffe drinking man / woman who eats donuts / a sandwhich in rooms full of corpses, even though to preserve corpses, you have large refrigerators that you put them in.

These are also locked from the outside as you really dont want to have a door ajar for a long period of time, there is a correlation between room temperature and corpses.

Near my work, one of the biggest mortuaries in Sweden is located, next to it a big medical University, a couple of summers ago their refrigerator system broke down and was so for like 2-3 days before they fixed it, that smell was some fucked up shit, need I tell you that no sane humanbeing would go near a rotting corpse, especially if it at the same time moved albeit slowly and growled?

It would not matter if it was your girl- /boyfriend, wife/husband, mother/father or the sexiest woman/man alive, you would not go near it.
Dead people dont smell good, there's no perfume in the world that can hide the smell and our bodies dont produce one, once we are dead.

Also.

You have all seen zombie / scary prank videos I reckon? The natural response to things we are not accustomed to, is not trying to communicate, it is running the fuck away.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That doesn't make any sense.

In your scenario, people die and then several hours later become zombies in a mortuary. In the show it only takes a few seconds to a minute or two. They never would make it to the mortuary in the first place. They would have eaten the first responders checking to see if there were any survivors.

Also, dead bodies also don't start smelling immediately upon death. They have to start decomposing which takes a while also. Even ignoring that point, if you thought a close family member died and then you see them "alive" you absolutely would go near them even if they smelled bad.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
"If there are people who appear dead but arewalking, the only way to kill them is to stab/shoot/hit them in the head. Don't let them bite or scratch you, they transmit deadly virus. All people who die seem to wake up, so take precautions even among your family."

PSA repeat once a minute on every radio/tv/internet station, skywrite it, drop leaflets, now everyone knows.

Debase

N00b
While the whole "walkingdead" issue doesn't pass the biological smell test, the idea of societal collapse is very real. Separate the whole rising corpse issue for a second, if there were a highly lethal disease that spread rapidly worldwide with fairly high mortality, you would see society fray fairly quickly and easily IMO. People would stop going to work... power shuts down quickly, no movement of goods and services, gas pumps dry up, food scarcity in the cities increases, etc. Military would attempt to step in to supplement the needs, but the military would definitely be spread extremely thin. Hoarding and crime would escalate rapidly.

The further we have evolved away from the hunter/gatherer mentality, the more vulnerable we have become to slight supply chain interruptions. Everything from hospitals to supermarkets rely on "just-in-time" deliveries of goods and supplies. People not reporting for work or worse people dropping over and not being able to do their jobs would really damage the systems we have in Westernized societies. Now, it is upon this background that you lay the dead infected becoming zombies... shit would be real tenuous pretty fast imo.

I am pretty far removed at this point from my last virology course, but it would be pretty tough to match the R0 (infectious rate) and mortality rate (thus resulting in direct surge of zombies). In reality, viruses with a high morality rate tend to burn themselves out too quickly to spread broadly because people get sick too fast and aggressively to move and spread the illness broadly without recognition.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The thing I don't like about these shows isn't the society collapse, because I agree with you that would happen. The thing I don't like is on the TWD and nowFear, everyone is a goddamn psycho. Literally everyone. Oh there's a gathering of people working together? Must be led by a psycho. Oh there's a band of people working together to survive? Probably cannibals. Oh there's people contacting you on the radio? Probably looking to kill us all and take our shit even though there's no shortage of anything right now because EVERYONE IS DEAD.

I know people are bad etc but these shows make it out like goddamn everyone who survives zombie apocalypse turns into a pathological killer.

Debase

N00b
The thing I don't like about these shows isn't the society collapse, because I agree with you that would happen. The thing I don't like is on the TWD and nowFear, everyone is a goddamn psycho. Literally everyone. Oh there's a gathering of people working together? Must be led by a psycho. Oh there's a band of people working together to survive? Probably cannibals. Oh there's people contacting you on the radio? Probably looking to kill us all and take our shit even though there's no shortage of anything right now because EVERYONE IS DEAD.

I know people are bad etc but these shows make it out like goddamn everyone who survives zombie apocalypse turns into a pathological killer.
Yeah, I agree. Every different group has their own gimmick. I mean I get theft and murder do to the competition for resources, but it seems like so many of the people we meet do take a great deal of pleasure from these actions rather than viewing them as a means to survive.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dudes should have a ton of clothing and other non-perishable goods, yet everybody wears the same ratty junk. They introduced a fucking Home Depot knockoff inWalkingdead FULL of things that can be used, yet once Everybody Hates Chris died, you never seem them come back. THAT PLACE IS A GOLD MINE!.!.! Nails, Chains, building supplies. There should be a metric fuckton of non-perishable goods to be used if the population has been reduced by 90%.

Debase

N00b
What the Fuck was that episode... and as a midseason finale? Basically, all of the characters go pretty much insane concurrently asking some pretty ridiculous questions about whether thewalkingdead are really dead? Stupid.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That episode was terrible.

I hope you guys are all aboard the "Chris Needs to Die" train now at least?

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I hang on way too long on most everything I watch, but I actually think I am out after that episode. I already have too much shit on my dvr and that was absolute garbage.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord

The Last Ship did a very good job of having a lot of the "normal" people hold on to their sanity.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Terrible episode. I was actually rooting for Chris to stab and kill his father so everybody could finally band together and get rid of him. Bummed that my favorite character went from badass ninja to suicidally delusional in half an episode. When he was having the childhood flashback and the shadowy figure handed him the pistol, I have expected the camera to pull back and show that the guy was John Locke.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
OH MAN john locke would wreck thewalkingdead universe. He would be the king of bartertown in a week.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Considering the power of theWalkingDead IP, how could they fail so bad at getting decent writers for this series? This entire season has been boring as fuck and all the characters are so lame I look forward to seeing their faces eaten. I honestly couldn't even finish watching the whole episode, guffawing and turning the channel when angsty son tries to stab emo dad. Pathetic.