FOH Shower Thoughts

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you time travel to the past, use the bathroom, and time travel back there are two copies of the same matter in the universe until it catches up to the point where you went back.

But if you eat something and travel to the future there's a period of time where that matter doesn't exist.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I do dispute this, tho, and bet that it's a lot more simple than you're thinking. It wouldn't be very dissimilar than Carbon-14 or other isotope based archaeological dating. Of course, it would face similar accuracy issues...

There might be something similar, but like I said, without an actual time traveler you'd never know what reading could be taken that would be different. So it's not simple. Obviously none of the dating protocols we have now would be any good because the decay begins when we do, not when the universe began.

But I've got a plan to get rich and I'll let you in on it since your shower inspired it. Lets make this test. If we do it right, time travelers will come back in time and offer us boatloads of money to not sell it to anyone. We can have them go back to the beginning of the USD and deposit like $100 for each of us in an interest bearing account and we'll be filthy rich instantly.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There might be something similar, but like I said, without an actual time traveler you'd never know what reading could be taken that would be different.

The physics of radioactive decay is incredibly predictable, tho.......

Obviously none of the dating protocols we have now would be any good because the decay begins when we do, not when the universe began.
But comments like this show you don't really understand the subject that well....

The decay begins when we do? We aren't talking about bacterial decay here man. Your radioisotopes are decaying right now and they were decaying before they were in your body and they'll be decaying when they leave your body . . All at mostly the same rate...

• 1Harrow

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The physics of radioactive decay is incredibly predictable, tho.......

But comments like this show you don't really understand the subject that well....

The decay begins when we do? We aren't talking about bacterial decay here man.

OK I think the first thing we need to decide on is whether it can be a destructive test.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
But I've got a plan to get rich and I'll let you in on it since your shower inspired it. Lets make this test. If we do it right, time travelers will come back in time and offer us boatloads of money to not sell it to anyone. We can have them go back to the beginning of the USD and deposit like $100 for each of us in an interest bearing account and we'll be filthy rich instantly.

However, even despite your apparent lack of knowledge, this is an excellent plan, because it will only fail if a time machine is impossible to create in the first place! As long as someone eventually is going to invent a time machine, we should get our money within moments of inventing the test

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

The decay begins when we do? We aren't talking about bacterial decay here man. Your radioisotopes are decaying right now and they were decaying before they were in your body and they'll be decaying when they leave your body . . All at mostly the same rate...

No not yet. I hope to be the #2 expert in the world on it soon though. So you're not talking about the same thing they currently measure to date old objects.

• 1Worf

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My poor knowledge on C14 datation gives right to Hoss. Living beings have an equilibrium of C14 (Input is food, output is crap and CO2), however when you die, you only lose C14.
The ratio on earth of C14 /C12 is considered constant.
So you wouldn't be able to tell if someone is from the future using C14. Except if it's a zombie. or he came from outside earth. So your method is sound against future space zombies.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My poor knowledge on C14 datation gives right to Hoss. Living beings have an equilibrium of C14 (Input is food, output is crap and CO2), however when you die, you only lose C14.
The ratio on earth of C14 /C12 is considered constant.
So you wouldn't be able to tell if someone is from the future using C14. Except if it's a zombie. or he came from outside earth. So your method is sound against future space zombies.
I just used carbon for name recognition in case anyone only vaguely familiar with radioisotope dating was reading along. The test would work better with inorganic elements, likely.

• 1Harrow

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just used carbon for name recognition in case anyone only vaguely familiar with radioisotope dating was reading along. The test would work better with inorganic elements, likely.
I've been toying with your thought since this morning but I can't find anything. oxygen, nitrogen and sulphur are out since their isotopes are too short-lived. Calcium would be the best candidate but it's too scarce to be used.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Stuff like raspberry flavored candy is made out of weird shit like beaver anal glands, bugs, all kinds of crazy shit, right?

Who was the first person to think that beaver anal glands might have a use beyond what the beaver used them for, and who tasted them first?

Along those lines too, certain foods are poisonous or at least inedible unless you go through extensive prep like maybe boiling them for 18 hours. Simple cashews are poisonous unless you get rid of all the oil on them before eating them. Which caveman saw his buddies dying from eating this stuff, and thought, well maybe they just didn't cook it long enough? And then fucking tried it again?

• 1Worf

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
For the first time in my life I thought about dinosaurs reproducing. I guess most dinosaur thoughts come when you’re a kid so you don’t think about it. How awkward would T-Rex sex be?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
For the first time in my life I thought about dinosaurs reproducing. I guess most dinosaur thoughts come when you’re a kid so you don’t think about it. How awkward would T-Rex sex be?
Well the trex had up to a 12 foot penis but it could have been way smaller, so if it were so small... would they have to like lay on their sides and kind of scissor and hope for the best?

The first obvious thought would be doggie style but with such a possibly small trex wang, that wouldnt work due to the lady rex being thicc.

A time machine would be helpful for sure

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
If time is indeed static, then once your brain permanently ceases to process input, your story, your "travel through time" as interpreted by your brain, will simply begin from when it was able to process input, and you will again experience your life in an endless cycle. another option if the universe is infinite, or part of an endless cycle, is that an identical brain occupying an identical spacetime will eventually re-appear, although with some potential differences, and so you will live another potentially identical, or potentially different life.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Stuff like raspberry flavored candy is made out of weird shit like beaver anal glands, bugs, all kinds of crazy shit, right?

Who was the first person to think that beaver anal glands might have a use beyond what the beaver used them for, and who tasted them first?
Industrial did this. They splitted down the flavors / smell of things, found the cheapest compounds that would match the original smell and there you go, anus grease (artificially made of course) everywhere.
High end parfume tends to have only high quality original components inside, that's why weird stuff like whale vomit are worth a lot of $. Now how did they start using it, I guess there isn't a simple and unique answer. Trial and errors, let's eat this because we're starving, etc. In the case of whale vomit, when it's still fresh it smells like a thousand rotting fishes under high sun. After a few days, it smells incredibly smooth.
During my studies I worked on some natural medicine against paludism, named artemisinin extracted from a plant, has been used in Asia for thousands of years. The trick is, it only works if you make a decoction of it and not boil it in the water like you would do with tea. I asked myself the exact same question you did back then, how the fuck did they figured out ? My guess would be 1) easy access to the plant, like it's weed, 2) a keen eye to observe that your mixture did actually cure the fever of your patients, 3) pin it down to one herb.

sorry for my bad english, my 18 years old scottish medicine is kicking in.

• 1Like