For All Mankind

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
That would probably be the finale of the show - achieving interstellar travel. They try to keep the show fairly grounded, though, so I suspect the biggest upgrade will be something involving anti-matter reactions (like the ship in Avatar). One of the many big hurdles for interstellar travel is having a sufficient reaction mass to allow for near constant acceleration to get you up to a sufficient percentage of the speed of light and enough to slow you down midway through your trip. Even if you could get up to like 10-15% of c, you're looking at a trip that would take decades just to get to Proxima Centauri. Then factor in decades to get back. In fact, you might even run into the situation that a follow-up vessel using more advanced tech gets to Proxima faster than the original ship that launched and there is a welcome party waiting for them to arrive. Can you imagine? You basically leave everyone you know, knowing you'll never see them again, get out of cryo stasis, and find out you're not even the first humans to visit there.

I think Sakkath has the right of it and the next big step would be the outer solar system. They build bases on Mars and construct ships that let them get to the Jovian moons/asteroid belt. Saturn is further away from Jupiter than Jupiter is from Mars. Jupiter itself is close to 3x the distance from Mars that Mars is from Earth.

Im not a science person.

Question, in space, you fire your rocket and burn fuel and you achieve a velocity and stay at that velocity until you apply another force and change velocities.

If you have a nuclear reactor or whatever and let’s say generate 1000 pounds of thrust (I know that isn’t shit just using a number) and generate that same amount of force for two weeks, do you accelerate the whole time or stay constant speed as if you had just done a short burn?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

You would accelerate for the entire 2 weeks in your example

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Im not a science person.

Question, in space, you fire your rocket and burn fuel and you achieve a velocity and stay at that velocity until you apply another force and change velocities.

If you have a nuclear reactor or whatever and let’s say generate 1000 pounds of thrust (I know that isn’t shit just using a number) and generate that same amount of force for two weeks, do you accelerate the whole time or stay constant speed as if you had just done a short burn?
Constant acceleration is the holy grail of space travel. Right now it's gay and doesn't work. Currently, the more intense the gravity is in an area, the greater the effect of your thrusters in terms of your speed, which lets you go far. The term for this is "gravity assist" or slingshot, and it's why spaceships destined for the outer solar system always come close to multiple planets. They fire thrusters hard when they are close to each planet, and basically drift all the time between them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Constant acceleration is the holy grail of space travel. Right now it's gay and doesn't work. Currently, the more intense the gravity is in an area, the greater the effect of your thrusters in terms of your speed, which lets you go far. The term for this is "gravity assist" or slingshot, and it's why spaceships destined for the outer solar system always come close to multiple planets. They fire thrusters hard when they are close to each planet, and basically drift all the time between them.

Is there no way to have like a nuclear reactor shooting out the whole time causing acceleration?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
in real life or in the show?

They make mention of limited fuel, so they can't constantly burn it. Even if limited fuel were not a factor, you could only full burn halfway through the trip, you'd have to full burn the other direction the last half to slow yourself down enough once you get there, and that's assuming your craft can handle the top speed due to any sort of space debris collision or internal stress.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there no way to have like a nuclear reactor shooting out the whole time causing acceleration?
A nuclear reactor produces heat. For space acceleration, you need to push something out one way to produce thrust in the opposite direction. Heat alone wont do much.

So, the nuclear reactor can produce the energy in a closed system (heat makes steam, steam turns generator, generator makes energy, steam cools to water (there are other techs that change up the process slightly, but this is the basics of it)). That energy can then be used, by powering some form of motor, to push some "fuel" (mass) out the backside of the space ship. That "fuel" on board will run out way before the Nuclear fuel depletes inside the reactor.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
In theory yes, but there’s a lot of problems with the idea. To make it functional you’d want to shoot matter out at the most extreme speed possible. They have tried doing things like this but we aren’t technologically at a point where it’s worth bothering.

Cybsled

This was the Epstein engine in The Expanse basically- essentially some fusion powered engine that was somehow able to constantly accelerate with very little fuel usage. But in terms of physics, this isn’t very feasible at the moment

Like was posted above, the thrust is from mass being shot out the back of the craft. How fast and for how long is going to depend on what is being expelled and how much force that exerts

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you want to learn more about nuclear the following professor, from the University of Illinois, has a bunch of videos on it. Most are more in depth, but this one goes over the basics of the Nuclear energy sector and the safety of it all (I can't use sound right now to review the video, but it looks like he starts talking about the basics of fusion at around 11:55, if you want to skip forward):

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The term for this is "gravity assist" or slingshot, and it's why spaceships destined for the outer solar system always come close to multiple planets.
Askthually, firing your engines deep in a gravity well(essentially at periapsis) is called the oberth effect. It takes advantage of the higher kinetic energy potential. It's a distinct thing from just using a bodies gravity for a gravity assist.

A nuclear reactor produces heat. For space acceleration, you need to push something out one way to produce thrust in the opposite direction. Heat alone wont do much.

So, the nuclear reactor can produce the energy in a closed system (heat makes steam, steam turns generator, generator makes energy, steam cools to water (there are other techs that change up the process slightly, but this is the basics of it)). That energy can then be used, by powering some form of motor, to push some "fuel" (mass) out the backside of the space ship. That "fuel" on board will run out way before the Nuclear fuel depletes inside the reactor.
Correct. Nuclear rockets use hydrogen for their fuel. Liquid hydrogen is ran though the reactor which vaporizes then super heats it then it's blown out a rocket nozzle for thrust. We've already built these and they're about twice as efficient as the best chemical rockets you can build.

In fact the plan right after Apollo was to have a number of nuclear "tugs" in orbit to move stuff between earth and luna. It also would have been the basis for a spacecraft to take us to Mars. Sadly NASA and von Braun got told to fuck off and we got that garbage space shuttle instead.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Askthually, firing your engines deep in a gravity well(essentially at periapsis) is called the oberth effect. It takes advantage of the higher kinetic energy potential. It's a distinct thing from just using a bodies gravity for a gravity assist.
I felt like giving him the names he'd encounter in TV shows for some reason, my bad.

Szlia

They did 2 seasons with the moon, I am sure they can do two with Mars. I am also pretty sure they will not insert interstellar travel into the plot, because the show remains somewhat anchored in reality. The closest exo-planet we detected (which is orbiting the closest star) is 4 light years away. The guesstimate for a one way trip using current technological knowledge is about 6000 years and really I am not sure if that guess takes into account things like how to deal with collisions against anything at the speed needed to get there that fast.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This show goes distinctly downhill in season 3 imo.

No Gordo leaves the show without an everyman character to root for.

Ed is a fucking asshole, Danny is annoying, Danielle is kind of a cunt, Ellen is totally one-dimensional as the president, Karen is a literal Karen.

This leaves Margo, who is more than a little too compromised to root for.

A lot of the dialogue writing and/or dialogue direction got worse too.

Still a fine show but nowhere near as good as the back half of S2.

I can't wait for Season 5 where they end up on Titan in the 2010s and have to put Astronaut in the Ocean in the soundtrack.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They did 2 seasons with the moon, I am sure they can do two with Mars. I am also pretty sure they will not insert interstellar travel into the plot, because the show remains somewhat anchored in reality. The closest exo-planet we detected (which is orbiting the closest star) is 4 light years away. The guesstimate for a one way trip using current technological knowledge is about 6000 years and really I am not sure if that guess takes into account things like how to deal with collisions against anything at the speed needed to get there that fast.
This was recent and relevant:

High speed collisions in the interstellar medium are unlikely to be an insurmountable problem.

I would assume the last season of the show revolves around building some kind of generation ship, about who ends up on it, and why.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This guy's channel is pretty great(he has a slight lisp, worse in his earlier videos so be warned) for ideas on what future space travel and living off world would look like in a realistic manner. Goes into depth about how technologies work and how you would realistically use them.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't think this show ever goes much further beyond Mars. Plenty to do between Earth and the Asteroid belt.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
They are pussies for taking the path they did with the story.

Also, I hate a lot of the individual story lines. Margo, Danny, Ed's daughter, all the stories are tilting.