Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
There are prior games where he didn't defend the copyright, so that could work against him in his case against Epic.

He's probably just fishing for a settlement.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Production company would only own it if that was a part of the contract, but since it wasn't copyrighted before they would have no claim to it now. The fact they named it "the Fresh" and are charging for it may grease the wheels of the process since otherwise this could open the window for games to encroach even further and the industry will have none of that.

First off, copyrighting dance is new and I can't even find one that's actually copyrighted. Even the Moonwalk isn't. And everything I look up says "choreography" can be copyrighted, but I have yet to find clear examples. Maybe the extravagant stuff you see on TV? But there's no saying this simple dance will be awarded a copyright to begin with.

Secondly, if it can be copyrighted, the performance was for a TV show in which his performance would be owned by the show, which would include the dance.

Szlia

Epic's main problem is that they are selling the dances (directly or indirectly), so it will be difficult to claim fair use. They are clearly making money off the notoriety of the dance they digitally mimic. Something is not quite right, but lawyers will have some fun because it's all a bit murky.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
29ut6hi.jpg

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So This whole Alfonso thing - can it possibly appear as more of a money grab?

Is he currently using it as a core way of making money/a living? If he was going around doing this ridiculous dance to crowds as his core source of income, then I could see how this would be legit and he should get a share of the profits.

But if it was just his schtick on a bad TV show and he occasionally did it on Sesame Street and other cameo's since (dance for us, little puppet, humiliate yourself for our entertainment, worm!), what is his legal defense of this?

I really fucking hate celebrities. Seriously, like grim death.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
The Floss kid is on it now and Reddit detectives found a video from 2011 of someone doing the exact same dance. This will be very interesting from a legal perspective.

spronk

FPS noob
legally you can't copyright dances just an entire set (like ALL the moves from the thriller music video) and the NAMES of dance moves. So Carlton would have a case if Fortnite/etc calls it "The Carlton" (actually the production company would as they own the character names) but just a 15 second repeated move is gonna fail in any lawsuit most likely, but who knows nowadays what judges are gonna do

rad

Lord of Guk
Moving my response to the appropriate thread:

Unpopular opinion but Fortnight is truly a shit ass game, I feel like they need to have some skill ranking in the game. As it is right now you can hop in a game and end up going against the top rated players in the world at random, and of course they are going to shit on them.

It might be fun to pair up LeBron James against a disabled 8 year old with Down syndrome for the lulz but that shit would get old real fast. It’s no different with fortnight.

Touching on the ranking, game is free, people would just smurf.

Aside from that though I've been playing since season 2 but I don't find the skill gap an issue. In earlier seasons I considered myself an above average builder and that gap has grown considerably and now I'm probably more average. Yet I still pick up wins against folks who can build circles around me. You can counter it as really good builders normally like to show off so you fake high ground, knock their builds down, etc. I also prioritize items like TNT so I have counters. If you approach the game as more PUBG with building (meaning you don't just run around like a loon trying to take on the entire lobby, use bushes, hide behind trees, build only when necessary as to not draw attention) you'll probably find more success.

Also, never feel bad about 3rd partying, battle is never pretty.

ae25a08a9ca7a95e0a578b272873d9cd--iron-throne-obsession.jpg

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Moving my response to the appropriate thread:

Touching on the ranking, game is free, people would just smurf.

Aside from that though I've been playing since season 2 but I don't find the skill gap an issue. In earlier seasons I considered myself an above average builder and that gap has grown considerably and now I'm probably more average. Yet I still pick up wins against folks who can build circles around me. You can counter it as really good builders normally like to show off so you fake high ground, knock their builds down, etc. I also prioritize items like TNT so I have counters. If you approach the game as more PUBG with building (meaning you don't just run around like a loon trying to take on the entire lobby, use bushes, hide behind trees, build only when necessary as to not draw attention) you'll probably find more success.

Also, never feel bad about 3rd partying, battle is never pretty.

View attachment 186531

I played Season 1 and skipped season 2. Came back at the end of 3 and wanted to see how I could do so tryharded in Season 4 & 5. Worked up to a 5% win rate average in Solos in Season 5. Then I stopped caring and now just play for fun. In a way no ranking allows it to be much more enjoyable... HOWEVER, I'd probably play a ton more Solo/Squad if there actually was ranking. I really dont give a shit that I could be in the same match as Ninja. I'd definitely prefer being in a game with similarly skilled opponents. The skillgap keeps widening which pushes me away from Solo/Squad queue tbh.

Especially now that I am playing more casually, I know my building will be garbage tier, as well as aiming/shooting per usual :D

So basically I play the LTMs mostly now.
I look forward to all the LTMs coming back over the next 2 weeks, will likely log in a bit more to play them, and knock out the challenges.

Edit: But to Epic's favor, no ranking keeps the game accessible to everyone. People mostly want to play with their friends.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Kid is asking for a founders pack for Christmas. I don't play the game. Looks like a bunch of garbage digital nothings plus access to single player mode? I dunno. Can someone in the know give me a run down on which of the founders packs is worth it, if any, and what of substance actually comes with it?

I dunno I am not trying to be a dick to him about it, but its like "Can't you ask for an actual game, and not some digital download bullshit?"

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Kid is asking for a founders pack for Christmas. I don't play the game. Looks like a bunch of garbage digital nothings plus access to single player mode? I dunno. Can someone in the know give me a run down on which of the founders packs is worth it, if any, and what of substance actually comes with it?

I dunno I am not trying to be a dick to him about it, but its like "Can't you ask for an actual game, and not some digital download bullshit?"
I didnt even know they still sold Founder's Packs but apparently they do and its 50% off atm.

The only reason to buy it is if he legitimately plans to play STW. Which is multiplayer PvE content. STW is actually pretty decent and fun, I played it before they made BR.

He can earn V-Bucks from STW which would allow him to earn skins without using your credit card, so maybe that's his angle? But if he only wants it for perks in BR (he doesnt plan to play STW at all) then its totally not worth. STW isn't something he'll cruise through quickly either, in ~3 months I didnt even get to the last area.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think he really wants it for the single player campaign for some reason so I guess just the cheapest one would be okay. My kids are almost grown so really Christmas isn't like it was when they were younger, probably just give them cash but he's 15 so needs us to purchase shit online for him obviously.

Thanks Ravishing Ravishing

'Preciate ya

• 1Like

rad

Lord of Guk
I think he really wants it for the single player campaign for some reason so I guess just the cheapest one would be okay. My kids are almost grown so really Christmas isn't like it was when they were younger, probably just give them cash but he's 15 so needs us to purchase shit online for him obviously.

'Preciate ya

I've played far more STW than BR, totally worth it at 50% off. Tons of content and you can farm vbucks.

If anyone here needs some max level weps to play around with let me know, I have enough mats and various schematics to outfit a small African nation.

• 1Solidarity

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

'Preciate ya

Np :D

I actually really liked STW a lot but when I played the last area was unfinished (so i didnt bother trying to get there too fast) and also there were some annoyances. The progression systems are wacky as hell. Its been like a year since I played STW though and I see updates included with BR updates, I think they might have smoothed out and added a lot... I bet a lot of kids play it to earn Vbucks for BR mode too.

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Get him one of these instead. Tell him it's a Blizzard game. If he cries or bitches then beat him.

1920px-ColecoVision-wController-L.jpg

River_raid__25510.1524184090.jpg

parenting-fail.jpg

• 1Worf