Fuck Comcast

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Can someone please explain, in idiot proof terms, how private company's get control of something that is national like a phone line grid and are able to make tons of profit off it?
They spend their money to build the grid. They don't "get control" of it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Going through the same crap with Comcast right now, bill has been floating around $140/month for two hd boxes and mid level internets. Going up to $180 next month. Haven't had any luck in a few phone calls getting it lowered yet, going to throw the direct tv at them soon. Maybe try the cancel and reup if that doesn't work. Bane, can't you just hook all of us up on some kind of friend program?

A lot of times it's because their bundle specials have ended. I might try and do what the above sales rep suggested and just cancel/reorder over and over. Only problem with this is, is if you have a landline, the # changes everytime.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
it's all about who you talk to. keep asking for people's managers or if they say they don't have one ask to talk to someone else. always be very polite and keep saying you're a long time customer.

true story:

my wife and i have lived in nyc for 7 years and always been with time warner. we move every couple of years and have always cancelled and resigned at the new address to get the discount. the last time we moved i called to cancel and when they asked why i told the truth and they said they'd just keep me on the same plan, etc., move me, and give me the discount anyway. long story short the discount didn't appear on my statements, no one had any record of anyone telling me that and i stopped paying because of it so our service was shut off after i owed about 5 months. no amount of talking to anyone was getting me anywhere and i thought i was fucked.

after about a week of no tv or nets my wife googles the executive board of twc and finds a school email for one of the c-levels and we email him there with a very polite summary of the situation.

the next day i get a call from cs giving me the discount retroactively and indefinite free high speed roadrunner for as long as we are customers.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I understand how and why it works when you call and bitch/threaten to cancel but I don't want to do that every 6 months to a year? Is it the price you gotta pay to keep your internet bill low?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You might consider asking about switching to Comcast Business. Again, a lot will probably depend upon who you get, and how you present your case, but you might get yourself a better deal doing that. It doesn't hurt to try at least. One thing with business is that you'll be signing a contract for probably 2 years, but it also locks in your price for at least that long, and it isn't a prohibitive agreement in the sense that if you move to somewhere that doesn't have Comcast, they aren't going to fuck you over. The lady I worked with pretty much bent over backwards to get me the best deal she could (like HBO for $5 a month for a year, etc.), and for a couple of years it was great. Eventually things started to creep up again, but she always got me the lowest she could at the time if I called. Finally I just cancelled TV altogether for various other reasons, but I still have the internet/phone and have no complaints.

The other benefit to Business Class is that it has no bandwidth cap, so you can download the entire internet each month and they don't give a shit. That's the main reason I decided to eventually cancel the TV part.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I understand how and why it works when you call and bitch/threaten to cancel but I don't want to do that every 6 months to a year? Is it the price you gotta pay to keep your internet bill low?
In a few months Century Link will offer 40mb for $30 for a year at a time. Hold out till then maybe?

Ben_sl

shitlord
Split the cost with your neighbors.
Wireless if they are close, bury a cable if you you have concerns with coverage.
Paypal "gift" option can be used to pay the actual business class subscriber easily.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
They spend their money?? Do you know how much money they get for building it? Comcast, AT&T and every other American telecom can go fuck itself for being so absolutely terrible in EVERY single measurable fashion.

TJ Lazer_sl

shitlord
Weren't they given millions of tax payer dollars to build a fast network for the people.. and then not build it? And continue to fuck us over?

Aladain.. always stickin' up for the big guy.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Where in MN are you?

I've had Qwest/Century Link for 3 years and it's only been spotty once for about a week when they upgraded my lines from copper to fiber. Other then that, it's the best service I've personally ever had and I said that before I worked for them.

Each experience is different though, I know people who love Comcast, people who hate it, same with us, Direct TV and everything else.

Anyway, what are are you in? I can tell you if it's a shitty area or not. I try to help people on this forum when I can.

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
I just wish that anti monopoly regulations were still enforced and not completely disregarded as they now seem to be; in the end monopolies just harm the consumer and progress in general. Imagine having 4-6 cable options in each town instead of the usual two giants playing badminton with customers and laughing all the way to the bank.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
By "last I knew" I meant a friend 2-3 years ago living in Lowertown area of St. Paul in an apartment complex did not have a great experience. Perpetually disconnected during raids/primetime and slow download speeds. I came over with my laptop and it was a miserable contrast to my broadband. I have Comcast out in the sub-suburbs (Lake Elmo). I love the performance, now, not the price. I'm looking at moving into South Minneapolis/Uptown area for work and I'm weighing my ISP options.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well both those areas have fiber scattered throughout them. If you want to know specifically what speeds are available at a certain address, PM me and I'll let you know along with pricing.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
In a few months Century Link will offer 40mb for $30 for a year at a time. Hold out till then maybe?
Wish I would have read that before making my call just now.

I called and bitched today and when it was all said and done my Comcast bill went from $62 to $85 for a 25mb and after calling and bitching, It was dropped to a 15mb line at $50. If I wanted the 25mb, it would have cost $72. I understand having to raise prices due to inflation, but I have had this account with Comcast for like 10 years and they keep fucking with me pretty much every year.

God I can't wait until Google gets their internet up and running (aren't they testing it in Kansas City or something) so I can drop Comcast like a bad habit.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Might not be the right thread for this, but my parents got a series of letters the other day from their ISP (Mediacom) claiming that they were downloading music on two different days back in January (100% bullshit) and they asked me if they should do anything about it. I know that there was recently some crap coming out about new "six strikes" rules or something to that nature and I was wondering if I should have them call and bitch at their ISP about it.

Might not be the right thread for this, but my parents got a series of letters the other day from their ISP (Mediacom) claiming that they were downloading music on two different days back in January (100% bullshit) and they asked me if they should do anything about it. I know that there was recently some crap coming out about new "six strikes" rules or something to that nature and I was wondering if I should have them call and bitch at their ISP about it.
was it a registered letter? if not, into the round file it goes. Also, help your parents secure their wireless router.