Fuck Comcast

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
All the cable companies have been waiting for that for years. Unencrypted channels have been the reason why cable theft has been so rampant for the past 30 years. Now that cable is on even footing with satellite for security it will open up more bandwidth for additional channels and internet/phone as well. For every analog channel you can get up to 12 SD channels or 3-4 HD channels.

If you don't want to rent a box you can always get a TIVO or a TV with that's cablecard ready. Or go internet only, though with metered connections that will probably cost more in the end shortly.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
LoL, yeah because now that it's encrypted they will offer us more for less. Because thats how Comcast works.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
The one and only downside about moving to Seattle from the shithole that was Oklahoma was having to move from Cox (very solid in OKC) to Comcast. The speeds are lower, the prices are higher, the quality of service is fucking awful, and if you DO get cable tv.. they put their channels in cheap places and hide other similar channels in super expensive plans. 10$ a month to get the tennis channel? Fuck you.

Verizon is blocked from offering FIOS in Seattle due to monopoly bullshit. Supposedly in 15 months or so though, we'll have gigabit available fromsome sort of city/ISP partnership thing. Can't fucking wait to leave.

Xander_sl

shitlord
Cancel your service. Put it in a roommate, friend, relatives name. Bam. New customer discount. When that ends, repeat. If you don't have someone else, just cancel your service for 24 hours, call back in as new customer. If Rep says you just had service, hang up and call until a rep who needs the commission will just set it up for you.

Source: I'm a Comcast sales rep.
Hahahaha fucking awesome. I wish I had known this previously.

Xander_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_16300.png
rrr_img_16301.png

I'm ok with that.
I got the same exact letter a bit ago, best day ever.

rrr_img_16300.png

rrr_img_16301.png

Xander_sl

shitlord
While I get the point you're making, it would be worth $25 a month to me to stick it to Comcast/Time Warner/whomever and "vote with my money" so to speak. On top of that, I'd imagine that Google doesn't have a bandwidth cap either, while the other companies likely would, so I'd pay $25 more just to be able to download the entire internet every month.

I despair over the fact that I'll probably be really fucking old by the time gigabit internet reaches me. Fucking Comcast
frown.png
Yeah, I want Fiber so bad, but I don't think I'm ever going to get it in Boston
frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

Bane_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I want Fiber so bad, but I don't think I'm ever going to get it in Boston
frown.png
You aren't. FiOS stopped their build out here becausethey couldn't compete with Comcastit wasn't profitable for them. But Boston is the proving grounds for Comcasts new IPv6 rollout, the brand new X1/X2 platforms, and their ridiculous new WiFi equipmen free to every customer with Performance Internet or higher, bundled or not.. Yup, it's premium cost.. but premium service.

frown.png

Bane_sl

shitlord
Turned the TV on today only to find I had almost no channels. Did a little research and found about how the FCC is now allowing encryption of basic/local HD channels, and Comcast wasted no time implementing this. But I can rent an adapter to watch said channels. I guess it's PBS and Univision for me.
Nope. We didn't. Unfortunately it comes with both positives and negatives. It saves a ton of cash on tech rollouts for stupid trap installs and removals, and eliminates the tens of thousands of households illegally tapping into the cable or sharing with their neighbors. It also help kill off the old analog signals still running through the lines taking up space for more HD and internet speeds.

There's talk of us selling those adapters though. Give it til Q4 '13. You'll be able to buy the DTA's soon enough. And they also now offer HDDTAs, which most reps at Comcast won't tell you about.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
So about 3 months ago Comcast out of nowhere decided starting to charge me a modem lease fee even though I've owned my own equipment since forever. I didn't notice cause I don't really check my bill that often. Fucking Comcast.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Time Warner did the same thing to me a month ago, trying to charge me for equipment that I owned. Luckily for me, Fios is available in my area, as of 2 weeks or so ago. I'll be getting fios set up next thursday. Time Warner can kiss my ass.

Bane_sl

shitlord
So about 3 months ago Comcast out of nowhere decided starting to charge me a modem lease fee even though I've owned my own equipment since forever. I didn't notice cause I don't really check my bill that often. Fucking Comcast.
Call and talk to Customer Care. We ran a macro update to the databases and some folks who bought their own modems that match model numbers that we use, saw this happen. They'll credit every cent they've charged you, no questions asked.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Hey Bane, any suggestions for someone moving within a city? Should I cancel, then sign up at a new address and try it as a new customer?

Desidero

N00b
Call and talk to Customer Care. We ran a macro update to the databases and some folks who bought their own modems that match model numbers that we use, saw this happen. They'll credit every cent they've charged you, no questions asked.
People shouldn't have to call in. When Comcast realized that there was a problem, they should have immediately figured out who was being charged erroneously and fixed it. Relying on customers noticing the problem and taking the time to call in is shitty service and a great example of why people hate Comcast.

If my team put in a patch at work that screwed up customer billing, we'd basically be working 24/7 until it was fixed.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Hey Bane, any suggestions for someone moving within a city? Should I cancel, then sign up at a new address and try it as a new customer?
im almost thinking of doing this, because i just pay for internet now and its like 80$ a month or something retarded so might as well get everything for what 100$?

whats the real hassle of doing this, are they gonna have to come to my house and ill have to go without internet for a few days or what? sorry never did it before bane, theres nothing i care to watch as it airs but for 20$ why not get all the extra gravy.

Bane_sl

shitlord
No need. When you transfer you're considered a new customer so you qualify for all of those discounts. At least that's how it is here in the Northeast. Only thing you can't get is web offers because those are online exclusively.

Bane_sl

shitlord
People shouldn't have to call in. When Comcast realized that there was a problem, they should have immediately figured out who was being charged erroneously and fixed it. Relying on customers noticing the problem and taking the time to call in is shitty service and a great example of why people hate Comcast.

If my team put in a patch at work that screwed up customer billing, we'd basically be working 24/7 until it was fixed.
Agreed Desi. Cox would have done an audit automatically too. Not sure why Comcast didn't. Can only assume its because they didn't know until reps started reporting it? Not an excuse, just the way it was.

Bane_sl

shitlord
im almost thinking of doing this, because i just pay for internet now and its like 80$ a month or something retarded so might as well get everything for what 100$?

whats the real hassle of doing this, are they gonna have to come to my house and ill have to go without internet for a few days or what? sorry never did it before bane, theres nothing i care to watch as it airs but for 20$ why not get all the extra gravy.
Should be able to use all your existing equipment unless you're moving to a network where it needs to be changed.

Anyone who is in CT MA VT NH ME that wants help or pricing with Comcast services shoot me a PM. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week to get married but I will help you guys as best I can.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Charter is trying to strike a deal with the FCC to allow them to encrypt all their channels in exchange for giving an additional 200k homes 100mbps service.
http://stopthecap.com/2013/04/18/cha...bps-broadband/

It will make qam tuners in my media center pc worthless. Just once I would like the FCC to actually stick up for the consumer instead of sucking the cock of big business. Of course that will never happen, the future FCC chairman, John Wheeler, was a lobbyist for the the telecom industry.