Fuck Comcast

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
was it a registered letter? if not, into the round file it goes. Also, help your parents secure their wireless router.
Their router is secure. I'll try and ask if it was registered, all I remember is that the RIAA was listed somewhere on it. But seriously, the only way that it could have actually happened would be for someone to drive to their neighborhood and park in the street in front of their house on two separate occasions three days apart, hack into their wireless network and then... use that access to torrent music.

there are a lotta scare tactic shake down letters like that that go out all the time. ignore em, recently judges have upped the level of proof required to prove the BS and it has stopped most court cases from going forward. under no circumstances let your parents pay a 'settlement' to make it go away.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It's always a good idea to resecure the network and run virus/malware scans if you get a notice like that. If the MAFIAA group that contacted their ISP about that has an IP and a timestamp they can subpoena the ISP for their name/address and use the ISP's logs in court if they want to take it that far. And yes it still happens. I was part of the security team for my local ISP recently and talked to more than one person who got a subpoena for that stuff.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm in on this fuck Comcast trend. I moved into my place 5-6 months ago and my bill was 40~ a month for 20mb/s( I think?) I paid my bill last month and it was up to like almost 80, if it goes up one more time I'm gonna call and cancel and hope there is a competitor here. All I know of is that Clear4g garbage and Comcast but seriously, I've never had to deal with this level of constant price change from Cox.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I moved I asked a customer service rep how to do it properly so that it was a smooth transition. She said "what's your new address and date of move?" So I told her my info and she went "OK, you're all set.. and look you get this new promotion with a lower price for the same package you have!" Ok..

So on moving day a Comcast dude came in, plugged my receiver into the wall (that I already had) and plugged in my cable/phone modem (that I had). Took him 2 minutes and he peaced. I noticed I didn't have any of my movie channels I had before. They told me my old deal expired and I needed to add them, but there would be this super awesome discount! So I took them yet again.

Boy was I surprised when I saw my bill wasn't the normal $110 it was previous but instead $300+. Those movie channel deals apparently didn't go through because I got charged $20 each for each channel (HBO, Starz, maybe more). I also noticed a $90 install fee (I think, can't remember exact price). That's funny. I paid a dude $90 to plug my stuff in, the apartment already had Comcast previous so nothing further was required. There were some other charges associated with the move too, I can't remember exactly what they were but they weren't told to me at the time we set this up.

I spent the better part of the day continuously calling Comcast about these charges. It seemed some of the reps didn't care, but after a few hours I would find that one guy that was willing to fix it.

I got the movie channels for free for something like 6 months. Score.

I told this one guy that the person who setup my move never told me about the charges associated. I guess if they don't disclose this stuff they can't charge you, so all of those charges were removed, every single one.

I then told another rep that the person who setup my move never gave me the option for a "self-install", which I wasn't aware of. Again, if I did the self-install I would've just plugged in my shit and been good to go - just like the installer did. I wasn't made aware of the option and clearly would've chosen that and not been ripped off by their comcast tech. The guy took away all $90 I was charged for the install.

I don't know if these people get in trouble for such egregious errors or if it's SOP, but they suck a big fat donkey dick regardless. As soon as I can find a place that offers ANYTHING besides Comcast I'm going for it.

I did feel a small victory for reducing my bill by so much, but it was barely worth it. I may have saved roughly $190 or more just by calling, but it took me a good part of 8 hours to take care of it - and some of it was just luck of the draw on which rep I got. I had to call comcast so many times and speak to so many reps that I couldn't take it anymore. I even resorted to the online chat because I was tired of explaining everything a million times.

FUCK COMCAST.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a similar situation in college... we had a guy move out and he transferred the Comcast account in his name to one of our other roommates. They needed to send a guy out so we said fine. All this guy did was call in the serial number on the modem and handed us a $150 installation bill. My other roommate was pissed but the guy just shrugged his shoulders and walked out.

He called right away and basically got the same deal you did... installation fee wiped, all movie channels free for a year.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm one of those people that isn't afraid to complain, but I can only imagine how many people just pay it without question

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_16300.png
rrr_img_16301.png

I'm ok with that.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
When I moved I asked a customer service rep how to do it properly so that it was a smooth transition. She said "what's your new address and date of move?" So I told her my info and she went "OK, you're all set.. and look you get this new promotion with a lower price for the same package you have!" Ok..

So on moving day a Comcast dude came in, plugged my receiver into the wall (that I already had) and plugged in my cable/phone modem (that I had). Took him 2 minutes and he peaced. I noticed I didn't have any of my movie channels I had before. They told me my old deal expired and I needed to add them, but there would be this super awesome discount! So I took them yet again.

Boy was I surprised when I saw my bill wasn't the normal $110 it was previous but instead $300+. Those movie channel deals apparently didn't go through because I got charged $20 each for each channel (HBO, Starz, maybe more). I also noticed a $90 install fee (I think, can't remember exact price). That's funny. I paid a dude $90 to plug my stuff in, the apartment already had Comcast previous so nothing further was required. There were some other charges associated with the move too, I can't remember exactly what they were but they weren't told to me at the time we set this up.

I spent the better part of the day continuously calling Comcast about these charges. It seemed some of the reps didn't care, but after a few hours I would find that one guy that was willing to fix it.

I got the movie channels for free for something like 6 months. Score.

I told this one guy that the person who setup my move never told me about the charges associated. I guess if they don't disclose this stuff they can't charge you, so all of those charges were removed, every single one.

I then told another rep that the person who setup my move never gave me the option for a "self-install", which I wasn't aware of. Again, if I did the self-install I would've just plugged in my shit and been good to go - just like the installer did. I wasn't made aware of the option and clearly would've chosen that and not been ripped off by their comcast tech. The guy took away all $90 I was charged for the install.

I don't know if these people get in trouble for such egregious errors or if it's SOP, but they suck a big fat donkey dick regardless. As soon as I can find a place that offers ANYTHING besides Comcast I'm going for it.

I did feel a small victory for reducing my bill by so much, but it was barely worth it. I may have saved roughly $190 or more just by calling, but it took me a good part of 8 hours to take care of it - and some of it was just luck of the draw on which rep I got. I had to call comcast so many times and speak to so many reps that I couldn't take it anymore. I even resorted to the online chat because I was tired of explaining everything a million times.

FUCK COMCAST.
I think its funny that you think it might have been an error. It is definitely SOP to over charge and then if you bitch loud enough to cut your charges back down, they are printing money hats either way charging you monopoly prices for lines that cost them next to nothing.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We really need Google to expand Fiber. It's crazy how greedy Comcast has become.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Screw fiber, we need to invent uber high capacity superspace internet that is all wireless. Then I won't have to pay for bandwith at home, then on my phone then on my wifes phone.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Time Warner Cable says there's no consumer demand for gigabit internet - The Verge

This is interesting because it's true that right now there is no real use for gigabit internet. I think if I had the choice of paying $50 for 100 Mb or $75 for 1000 Mb I would probably save the $25 a month since I doubt that you could tell the difference in any practical situation. Even 50 Mb probably covers anything you would really need to do. Google fiber exposes the cable companies' artificial scarcity though. They want to gradually ramp up your speed over many years and pretend that they are making improvements to justify the annual price hikes. By admitting that they can already deliver gigabit connections to businesses this strategy becomes pretty clear.

The rest of the Internet is too slow for Google Fiber - ArsTechnica

It is sort of a chicken and egg situation though, if everyone had gigabit internet, websites and services like Netflix and Hulu would probably retool their servers to operate more efficiently and take advantage of more bandwidth.

Then again, I wish someone would bring even 20 Mb to my house without an extremely restrictive download cap.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Screw fiber, we need to invent uber high capacity superspace internet that is all wireless. Then I won't have to pay for bandwith at home, then on my phone then on my wifes phone.
Wimax mesh networks are going to handle a lot of this. The range is ridiculous on one Wimax transmitter base station.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I think if I had the choice of paying $50 for 100 Mb or $75 for 1000 Mb I would probably save the $25 a month since I doubt that you could tell the difference in any practical situation.
While I get the point you're making, it would be worth $25 a month to me to stick it to Comcast/Time Warner/whomever and "vote with my money" so to speak. On top of that, I'd imagine that Google doesn't have a bandwidth cap either, while the other companies likely would, so I'd pay $25 more just to be able to download the entire internet every month.

I despair over the fact that I'll probably be really fucking old by the time gigabit internet reaches me. Fucking Comcast
frown.png

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I get the point you're making, it would be worth $25 a month to me to stick it to Comcast/Time Warner/whomever and "vote with my money" so to speak. On top of that, I'd imagine that Google doesn't have a bandwidth cap either, while the other companies likely would, so I'd pay $25 more just to be able to download the entire internet every month.

I despair over the fact that I'll probably be really fucking old by the time gigabit internet reaches me. Fucking Comcast
frown.png
Pretty much what I was getting at. It's not about needing it. It's about Google proving you can have it and have it at reasonable price. Verizon seems to be moving fully into the Wireless world which will leave even less competition in certain areas as they put a hold on laying fios.

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
Turned the TV on today only to find I had almost no channels. Did a little research and found about how the FCC is now allowing encryption of basic/local HD channels, and Comcast wasted no time implementing this. But I can rent an adapter to watch said channels. I guess it's PBS and Univision for me.