Furor's 14 Days rant & First Look at WoW

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQ does that now with their Time Locked Progression (TLP) servers.
It's a similar concept but I meant a game from start to finish. The TLP's seem to be popular, I wonder if it would work as a full business model.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider

Question out of curiosity: I saw that modern EQadded a fuckton of abilities and buttons to push, are the TLPservers played like back in the days, aka chat with dragons or are packed with full actionbars?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The '15' action bars crammed with abilities came from Alternate EXP Advancement abilities over the 18 years of the game and 23 expansions. It is not quite as tedious as it might appear, because many of those actions are still on long timers or used situationally.

Unlike say EQ2, where you have 15 action bars x 10 actions that have to be pressed repeatedly in a wack a mole fashion, every single fight.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
It's a similar concept but I meant a game from start to finish. The TLP's seem to be popular, I wonder if it would work as a full business model.

I don't imagine it would. My reasoning is that in a well developed game most of the sunk costs are upfront and the operating costs are low (* when you keep maintenance and expansion costs in different costs centres and exclude the expansion team). The finance team will amortise the initial development costs over a period of time and report the margins as stepping up once the initial development cost is paid off.

Expansions are, ideally, less expensive to make, boost subscriptions for a period, and generate fresh (somewhat) guaranteed box sales revenue from your current active base.

If the game had a profitable base and a reasonable expansion ROI on the last expansion, there is no business reason not to do "at least one more" from that point you and continue until the cost of the next expansion is higher than the expected lift in subs and total new box sales.

This is all somewhat complicated by cannibalisation or brand identity (both of which figured in the FF decision making around their two MMOs)

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I still think providing players with some open source material and let them crowd source design to send to a company would ensure a plethora of content. Of course they would also get submitted like 10,000 battlegrounds shaped like dicks but whatever.

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
In a perfect world there would be no need for RMT, but then again, in a perfect world we would not have time to play MMOs since we would all be too busy driving our Ferrari's and banging lingerie models.

But in our imperfect world I do think that the games I know, WoW and Eve seem to do it correctly enough. As long as it is tied to cosmetic items such as mounts, pets, skins and such. I'm also in favour of Plex and WoW tokens, since they help to enlarge the playerbase. Those who have plenty of time to play, but are short on money can keep subscribed while those who have plenty of cash but little time can buy things quicker.

But once WoW starts selling 100k Artifact power for $5 or a full set of top tier raid gear for $100 or whatever is where I would draw the line. That said, I have previously advocated for them selling more bank slots for cash. I'd fucking buy that.

I would have paid for artifact power transfer to another character or a reset with points spent refunded.

Esp to another character.

Ya, but that is largely a nostalgia market fueling that, not nearly enough subscription money to actually have started up as such.

I the question really is, the business model. You need subs to pay for a massive online world that isn't pay-to-play. You need good design to make it truly social, i.e., massive multiplayer. That Boston Red Sox pitcher squandered tens of millions trying to build another eq-type world. I don't think he was a moron, but I think he had ultimately no viable business model how to do those two things and have it fund itself.

The '15' action bars crammed with abilities came from Alternate EXP Advancement abilities over the 18 years of the game and 23 expansions. It is not quite as tedious as it might appear, because many of those actions are still on long timers or used situationally.

Unlike say EQ2, where you have 15 action bars x 10 actions that have to be pressed repeatedly in a wack a mole fashion, every single fight.

EQ2 was a "fast" game. I:f you were in the mood for it, the hyper-precise way each player had to do a job to get through major encounters/zones had its charm. Some of those raids were pretty cool, and you did have to pay attention. I never got tired, for example, of the Pumpkin Headed Horseman. That fight was just so funny.

• 1Seriously?

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Shit, I miss Vanilla WoW. Quit EQ during the PoP era. Furor's post cemented my exit. If the top raid guild leader hates this game more than I do, why the fuck am I still quadding raptors?

• 1Solidarity

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya, but that is largely a nostalgia market fueling that, not nearly enough subscription money to actually have started up as such.

I the question really is, the business model. You need subs to pay for a massive online world that isn't pay-to-play. You need good design to make it truly social, i.e., massive multiplayer. That Boston Red Sox pitcher squandered tens of millions trying to build another eq-type world. I don't think he was a moron, but I think he had ultimately no viable business model how to do those two things and have it fund itself.
His business model had all these crazy perks for his employees. I know a couple guys who worked there who loved it. People who post here who worked there loved it. The problem is, running a business is more then just making your employees happy. You have to get product out the door. Spending money on family outings and free soda works if you are Microsoft, not so much if you are borrowing all you can to pay your people.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
animation magic GIF by ZeTrystan

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
So games for Timmy time is over?

We can make vidyas for real gaming Chads again?

Was the old Furor mad about dumbing everything down and the BFA/Legion blunders? Or is he a new brainwashed version now (this would be a loss for humanity)?

Maybe we can know one day.

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
In 2006 someone posted the 14 days rant on MMO Champion and edited it to be about the C'thun fight.

One of the comments linked the original on this forum and that is how I found this place.

As I'm typing this I realise that I must have been posting here (and Rerolled and Rereolled) for 15 years.

I've been thinking that someone should repost that rant again, or a new version of it, threatening to boycott WoW if certain things are not fixed.

Then I realised. Nobody cares enough to do it. WoW is already dead.

• 1Worf

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Nice, WoW is finally entering the "game is dead" phase that EQ's been in for about 17 years.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Nice, WoW is finally entering the "game is dead" phase that EQ's been in for about 17 years.
Well I'd hardly say just about making enough money to keep the servers and support staff employed and holding the IP is "alive".

You want some cultural relevance and expansions coming out.

• 1Worf

Izo

Tranny Chaser
In 2006 someone posted the 14 days rant on MMO Champion and edited it to be about the C'thun fight.

One of the comments linked the original on this forum and that is how I found this place.

As I'm typing this I realise that I must have been posting here (and Rerolled and Rereolled) for 15 years.

I've been thinking that someone should repost that rant again, or a new version of it, threatening to boycott WoW if certain things are not fixed.

Fucking 06’er.

• 12Worf
  • 7Like
Reactions: 18 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

Rookie Numbers GIFs | Tenor

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users