Furor's 14 Days rant & First Look at WoW

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly I liked the PvP in WoW back before there were rewards from it. Before there were battleground or anything players just made their own wars and fights. There wasn't some faggishness about honor points of ranks. It was simple that guy is Alliance hence he is a complete piece of shit.

Then they added BG's and they were fun with the old old old AV when it would last for days at a time and it was a nonstop battle. Aside from that PvP in WoW has always been pure aids and has ruined more things than it ever brought.

The only two times I enjoyed PVP in WoW were Southshore *before* AV, when the entire zone seemed to be made up of mobs of Alliance at SS and Horde in Tarren Mill moving slowly back and forth between the two in an endless carnage. Then, the day long AV fights. I remember playing an AV match for hours in the evening, logging off and going to bed, logging on in the morning and entering the same match. Good times! :)

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haha! I do remember that, actually. I even remember where I was at when I first saw it. I hated f'n Edarion. Sweets was always nice to me though. Think he thought anyone that talked to her was trying to cyber her and thats why he was a dick. No mf, I just need a port and shes in Hate with me.

I saw Happyfeet in GW2 not too long ago. Chavo is still playing FF iirc. Last time I saw Rehtom was in Silvan Rangers back at WoW release. Im always curious where people disappear off too. Like Bigbearh and his wife. I thought Id see those names again somewhere, but never again.

Happy still plays EQ, hes been with our guild on the TLPs for a few years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Oh I was head over heels immersed with Vanilla WoW. It just became less of the "forge this sword in the bowels of this mountain" and more "hey look we dumbed things down even more and attracted even more drool cups to play with!".

It really needs a pass to finally iron out nonviable specs for end game. That's what drove me off (had I gotten a certain legendary it would have been different but I got worst 2 imaginable for my spec).

The best take away from all this, criticisms aside is that the top gamers really do know best. Tigole and Furor I'm sure butted heads with the biggest butt head suits that had who knows what kind of "feels" degrees in marketing and game development. I'd like to think they won most of their battles given the game's success esp early that got it where it is today.

For all his rants Furor was almost always right unlike most of the misplaced bitching I see on the (cringe) WoW forums.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For all his rants Furor was almost always right unlike most of the misplaced bitching I see on the (cringe) WoW forums.
Every time someone bumps one of these threads or I see a random article on a game site I wonder to myself what Furor thinks about the current WoW raiding scene where your top guilds use 40 man rosters so 20 people can raid mythic, get it on farm and then gear out the rest of the guild.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya me too. Maybe he's just jaded from all the bantering with them and now only collecting a check. Mission accomplished for him tho.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Found it I think, doesn't look like Furor wrote it though. I don't really remember this event well as I played an Enchanter most of my time in EQ.

The Steel Warrior - Call to Arms! STAND DOWN!

Fellow Warriors,
I know that I'm no formal leader of the Warrior community. I'd love to see someone like Furor or Brutul take this up, but still I can't stand by and watch this anymore without taking action!

Is he refering to the Brutul from PHantom Raiders on Bertox? that dude was a fucking robot. We used to call him Johnny 5 because dude never slept. He used to take me on Lost Dungeon of Norrath runs with his bot cleric! Dude was cool as shit though.

• 1Worf

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Is he refering to the Brutul from PHantom Raiders on Bertox? that dude was a fucking robot. We used to call him Johnny 5 because dude never slept. He used to take me on Lost Dungeon of Norrath runs with his bot cleric! Dude was cool as shit though.

Yea he tanked some shit tier raids I was in a few times. Never really spoke to the dude but he was a server legend. Prolly won't see that sort of thing again with online gaming being what it is now

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Yea he tanked some shit tier raids I was in a few times. Never really spoke to the dude but he was a server legend. Prolly won't see that sort of thing again with online gaming being what it is now
Yeah, he was a beast. Him and Raak would always be online. They were cool, they got alot of shit from the other guilds, but they were cool dudes when you talked to them.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
We had a troll shaman that would fall asleep playing all the time

Glaa ZZZ big

• 1Worf

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
Been years since I read this Furor rant but it really captured the feelings of a lot of EQ players at the time. Most modern day EQ TLP players love to take big shits on WoW, and stroke to "how hard" old EQ was (it wasn't) but the people actually playing through PoP and later Gates really were getting tired of all the shitty quality of life and poor game design issues. These weren't your casuals who were crying the game was too hard (although you did have that), it was the top tier raiders that were tired of content that was continually being released in an unfinished/broken state. There's a reason so many jumped to WoW and I've always said Vanilla and BC WoW, if you went straight from EQ into WoW and played through BC it was really the "perfect" MMO experience. That era WoW honestly was like "EverQuest where they fixed all the shit that sucked beyond belief, and where they had professional artists and game builders actually add polish to the whole game."

The stuff about crafting obviously never quite made it into WoW, but there was some cool stuff that involved clearing down to the Dark Iron Forge in Blackrock Depths. Not to mention the whole Quel'serrar questline was pretty amazing and very "EQ-like", it involved looting from a mob or finding on the ground a "Foror's Compendium of Dragonslaying", which was insanely rare. This book sold for 4,000-6,000g on my server back when that was a King's ransom, and I was a guy who farmed Dire Maul like 5-6 times a day in a set group just for fun in between raids and in hundreds and hundreds of Dire Maul runs we found exactly one compendium on the ground. Finishing the blade required a really cool questline that involved having to temper the blade in Onyxia's flame breath and then quench it in her dead body.

I actually think an MMO that a lot of the EQ TLPers would like would be one not designed with old EQ as its baseline, but old WoW. Don't have all the nonsensical quality of life issues of old EQ but don't have all the watered down cookie-cutter blandness of modern WoW.

In my mind the two biggest things to kill the MMO genre (and why I think some of us keep going to TLPs) are:

1. The players. They just got too good for this genre to have the sense of wonder/excitement in it that very early EQ and even early WoW had. Where you could actually spend hours exploring the world and discovering something new. Players have become so sophisticated at not just tearing content apart, but at sharing and documenting it for others, that any modern MMO everyone knows everything about it before the content is even live. I don't think there is any way to ever get this genie back in the bottle.

2. Games believing they have to perfectly balance all the classes in the game. Doing this makes classes cookie-cutter versions of one another and is a big reason so many MMOs are bland as fuck.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
2. Games believing they have to perfectly balance all the classes in the game. Doing this makes classes cookie-cutter versions of one another and is a big reason so many MMOs are bland as fuck.

This x1million

Pure DPS needs to do relatively close dps. Thats about as fucking far as balancing needs to go. From there, its "is this motherfucker useful in some goddamn realtively meaningful way?" Thats the only question that matters

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
Right, like in vanilla WoW there was no real balance for a lot of the abilities that say a Warlock vs a Mage vs a Rogue vs a Hunter had. Some were just better than others at certain situations. Mages were just better CC in 5 mans. Warlocks had self healing and the other 3 had basically none. Some classes just had more tools than others. That's also what was kind of cool about old EQ.

There was no attempt to balance out the power of say, SK HT. It was just an OP things Shadowknights got on a long cool down. There was no real balance for the fact charm pets did high levels of damage. There was no real balance for the fact that Mages, through all their summoned shit, just had a way bigger toolbox of things they could do than a Wizard etc etc.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
im also going to go with smaller raids. Having raids say for players under 20 people or whatever it is now, makes the dev's limited in wha tthey could actually do in terms of boss mobs. Trying to get say 54 knuckleheads to listen and do their jobs made it a bit more of a pain in the ass, but imo, it was fun. 72 man raids were way to much, but i think 54 was the sweet spot at least when i played.

Anyways, we all know that mmo feeling of years ago is over.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This x1million

Pure DPS needs to do relatively close dps. Thats about as fucking far as balancing needs to go. From there, its "is this motherfucker useful in some goddamn realtively meaningful way?" Thats the only question that matters

Yeah except they added PvP to WoW so there had to be some semblance of balance. I know some of you PvE fucks dont give a shit, but a sizable amount of players in WoW only cared about PvP. But I agree, in pure PvE game shit does not matter, its all about utility and what you can bring to table at that point.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had a troll shaman that would fall asleep playing all the time

Glaa ZZZ big
In wow?

In my wow guild we had the raid leaders father or grandfather in the raid and constantly he'd start snoring over vent. He was a shaman too

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I loved the vanilla/BC hunter so much. It had so much character.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Pre Kunark we had this 60+ retiree Paladin in our guild who was a huge stoner and pretty awful but he was really loud and funny telling old people stories.

We had killed naggy one day and the burnt book dropped and i tried to master loot it to him but he wouldn't take it. Turns out he had fallen asleep during our naggy pull and was snoozing during the fight.

We eventually had to kick him because he tried to go all Baby Boomer on us and say that if we didn't award him the paladin haste belt over our other better paladins he would lead a revolt and take over the guild. He was far our worse player.

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
In wow?

In my wow guild we had the raid leaders father or grandfather in the raid and constantly he'd start snoring over vent. He was a shaman too

In EQ.

Roamer mob beating on him was our way of knowing it spawned and for the other guys in the PC shop in Taiwan to wake him up or gate him out.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
im also going to go with smaller raids. Having raids say for players under 20 people or whatever it is now, makes the dev's limited in wha tthey could actually do in terms of boss mobs. Trying to get say 54 knuckleheads to listen and do their jobs made it a bit more of a pain in the ass, but imo, it was fun. 72 man raids were way to much, but i think 54 was the sweet spot at least when i played.

Honestly, I would really enjoy it if only I didnt feel the need to do it every week. If they made it like a 2 or 3 week reset then I would be all in. It takes a lot out of the leaders of those raids. Especially if theyre already managing a company in real life. The perfect people for the position because of that, but theyre not the ones having fun anymore and it sucks f'n dick. Fucking raid statue in WoD - Im going to tear that SoB down in protest.