Gaming and general purpose monitors

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Okay look, I have it, I set it up and have the instructions. The screw turns both ways, one way tightens it and increases the resistance and one way decreases the resistance. If it is fully tightened the damn thing doesn’t move at all and points up to the ceiling (not really, exaggerating). If it is fully loose it balances with a slight upward tilt as you describe.

Unless you’re suggesting that I force the monitor down with one hand against the tension of the spring and torque it down to max to get it to stay. Which goes against every indication of the instructions and way that the rest of the arm is adjusted.

That could be the way, I don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, put the monitor tilt in the position you want, actually very slightly tilted below the position you want, then tighten the screw so it stays in that position and pops back up a tiny bit to the rest point you want it at. As long as you don't tighten it all the way, it will still be able to tilt a little bit from manipulating it, which is why you want it just barely loose enough that it pops back upwards to the tilt you want.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Here's the official video.

1651716195164.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Here's the official video.

View attachment 411066

Thanks, will watch tomorrow since I’m already in bed. But the 2nd response from the Ergotron rep basically sums up what I’ve been saying. Even with it turned completely counterclockwise, at the loosest setting, it still moves to tilt up. I cannot adjust it (turn it counterclockwise) enough to counterbalance the weight. Any tighter than it is currently set and the monitor tilts upward at a greater rate and distance (angle).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's my point, if you loosen it all the way, it'll just do whatever it wants. So you need some amount of tension on it to make it stay where you tell it to, but not so much tension that it springs upwards.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's my point, if you loosen it all the way, it'll just do whatever it wants. So you need some amount of tension on it to make it stay where you tell it to, but not so much tension that it springs upwards.

Well your point is still wrong. It works exactly as I have been describing. I tested the balance every 1/2 turn of the adjustment screw with the exact same results. No setting allowed me control over the vertical tilt of the monitor. Every position the monitor tilts itself back up. The lightest setting is the least offender and the heaviest tension the worst. But at no point in between does mine work the way you are describing, or how the video describes.

I mean, again as I said before, it is the exact same process as the video describes for the other hinge. Which works perfectly and only required one simple adjustment before it balanced perfectly and lets me move it anywhere with zero movement.

Has been an interesting experiment. If I ever get a second to put above and really need it to tilt level or down then I'll worry about it more. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Truth be told I'll move the monitor once a year. Otherwise the arm is purely for aesthetics and not taking up desk space.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
OLED tech beyond QDOLED seems to have halted to the point i cant bother upgrading my CX48. I thought the QDOLED would do it but i dont want 1440p and the C2 just isnt enough of an upgrade to ditch the CX. Hopefully a 4k QDOLED display smaller than 55 inches comes out at some point to incite a purchase.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I like the size of my CX48 tyvm! I wouldnt mind smaller but 48 is just something im quite fond of at this point.
hehe I guess what I meant was 48" and smaller.
42" would be perfect, but the stupid lack of BFI @ 120hz is mind boggling

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
hehe I guess what I meant was 48" and smaller.
42" would be perfect, but the stupid lack of BFI @ 120hz is mind boggling
Does the QN43QN90B support BFI @ 120hz or 144hz?

I think it should...

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Does the QN43QN90B support BFI @ 120hz or 144hz?

I think it should...
Rtings specifically mentions BFI support up to 120hz.
They also go on to note anecdotally that 43 and 50 inch models support 144hz, but then they don't show 144hz anywhere in their charts.
1652123918311.png
1652124072825.png

1652124140059.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's probably worth giving it a try.

The manual notes this, but it doesn't mention if BFI is supported at these resolutions/refresh rate combos.

1652125276328.png

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Good price for a pretty good monitor. If anyone is looking for something cheaper.

27" Acer Predator XB3 IPS WQHD 165Hz Gaming Monitor (Refurbished) on sale for $239.99 - 12% off in cart discount = $211.19. Shipping is free.

Note: Final price will appear at checkout. Includes a 2 year Allstate Warranty

Features:
  • Screen: 27" WQHD (2560 x 1440) 165 Hz
  • Panel Technology: IPS (178°x178°) G-sync Compatible
  • Inputs: DisplayPort, HDMI
  • Response Time: 1 ms
  • Brightness: 400 Nit
  • VESA DisplayHDR 400
  • Wall Mountable
  • Stereo Speakers

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
electronics are the last thing I want to buy (or sell) on ebay.
it's too rife with scamming by both sellers and buyers, and I've been burned on both ends.

why risk over $200 on ebay for a run of the mill refurb 27" 1440 monitor, when you can get a brand new G27 with warranty for $300?
It's not like the XB3 is a unicorn or something

I'm guessing this is your item on ebay, yeah?

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
electronics are the last thing I want to buy (or sell) on ebay.
it's too rife with scamming by both sellers and buyers, and I've been burned on both ends.

why risk over $200 on ebay for a run of the mill refurb 27" 1440 monitor, when you can get a brand new G27 with warranty for $300?
It's not like the XB3 is a unicorn or something

I'm guessing this is your item on ebay, yeah?
That's still over 100 dollars more. Free returns if its defective. Its directly from Acer themselves, this isn't some kid trying to sell his monitor online. So, no I do not own Acer, its not my listing.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
hehe fair enough.
I didn't check the identity of the ebay store, and I was half joking anyway, but your post kinda looked like an advertisement.
I'd still rather not buy on Ebay, but buying a guaranteed refurb directly from the company is definitely different than from a private seller.
Power to ya

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got a new 27" 1440 Samsung G5 Odyssey for $250 last month. They were first on amazon then B&H photo. Free shipping at both places.