Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Whoever is doing media for this one managed to get a good one in. In my local market (Dallas) there is an all sports talk station. I listen to it religiously when I'm in my car. They have a thing called "The Ticker" which is three times an hour they give a quick blurb with sports scores, sports related news, and then a sentence for whatever company sponsored that Ticker. They started using the last part to say another "news story" working in the emergence of Kaiju's. Heard Mothra referenced today as a "huge, beautiful butterfly or moth like creature" and people are "unsure if it means harm"...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Whoever is doing media for this one managed to get a good one in. In my local market (Dallas) there is an all sports talk station. I listen to it religiously when I'm in my car. They have a thing called "The Ticker" which is three times an hour they give a quick blurb with sports scores, sports related news, and then a sentence for whatever company sponsored that Ticker. They started using the last part to say another "news story" working in the emergence of Kaiju's. Heard Mothra referenced today as a "huge, beautiful butterfly or moth like creature" and people are "unsure if it means harm"...
Sturm is my leader.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Being not one to care much for spoilers I've been reading reviews today. This might be the one bros....

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The movie does have some glaring weaknesses so I read Katie Rife's take to see if it was those weaknesses she was hanging her hat on.

Nope.

It basically boils down to her saying she's a huge kaiju fan that really wanted to like this but it's no Shin Godzilla (which she is a super fan of). She is a huge fan of the kaiju movies because of the metaphors involved, not the giant monsters part. This one does have a very strong metaphor, but I think she managed to miss it because it's not a very SJW-friendly one.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Shin Godzilla fucking sucks except for the hot American liaison I linked earlier in this thread. Shin Godzilla looks like he's retarded. Seriously, like short-bus window-licking requires a helmet retarded. And he barely moves. When he does, he looks even more retarded.

I didn't remember most of Shin Godzilla but watched it again a few months ago, and I was blown away by how fucking shitty it was. I think that the first time I watched it, I must have blocked out all the stupid because I wanted Godzilla to be good finally.

This is one of his evolutions before he becomes mostly the Godzilla we are familiar with. I dare anyone to tell me this doesn't look like he's retarded.

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone seen this yet? Wondering how adult it is. I’ll take my 4.5 yo son if there isn’t any crazy gore or anything against humans. Avengers infinity wars is the most adult thing he has seen so far.

Cybsled

It's PG-13, so I doubt there will be any human gore. It will just be people having shit toppled on them, or mass frying, or (like the trailer showed) people getting blown 100s of feet into the air by hurricane winds. But I imagine it will be implied more than explicit. Although to a 4 year old, that might be scary if they haven't seen things like that before. I remember my niece was around that age when hurricane Katrina happened and she was traumatized by the news. She kept thinking a giant hurricane was going to come where she lived and destroy everything (didn't live in a hurricane prone area btw).

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's PG-13, so I doubt there will be any human gore. It will just be people having shit toppled on them, or mass frying, or (like the trailer showed) people getting blown 100s of feet into the air by hurricane winds. But I imagine it will be implied more than explicit. Although to a 4 year old, that might be scary if they haven't seen things like that before. I remember my niece was around that age when hurricane Katrina happened and she was traumatized by the news. She kept thinking a giant hurricane was going to come where she lived and destroy everything (didn't live in a hurricane prone area btw).

I think my son may like the idea of a giant dinosaur coming to burn our town to the ground.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
A little slow in 2 spots but this Godzilla movie completely delivered on the brawling and destruction. See it in IMAX if you can, it looked amazing on the giant screen and the entire theater was shaking half the time

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Anyone seen this yet? Wondering how adult it is. I’ll take my 4.5 yo son if there isn’t any crazy gore or anything against humans. Avengers infinity wars is the most adult thing he has seen so far.
There's no gore, but the destruction level is off the charts which could be a bit much.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wtf happened to AV club?
maxresdefault.jpg

wasn't AV club one of the super nerdy, "FUCK YOU, my HDMI 1.5aaa triple gold wire, DOES produce better movies and heres the proof!!!"

why do they have 3 cunts hosting their youtube channel?
vqceeb61xwqt6fhmyojd.jpg

fris

Vyemm Raider
Tempted to bring my 6 and 9 year old. Any reason they need to see the first one?

Cybsled

They can probably just go straight into this one. All you really need to know about Godzilla is sometimes they're a "good guy" and sometimes they're a "bad guy", but in both cases, shit is getting wrecked.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
A little slow in 2 spots but this Godzilla movie completely delivered on the brawling and destruction. See it in IMAX if you can, it looked amazing on the giant screen and the entire theater was shaking half the time
I somewhat agree with this, but I was more disappointed. It was not 2 hours of fighting, which I knew it couldn't be of course. It was more like 30 mins, which would be ok, except the other 90 minutes was Stupid Human Drama Level 10. The stupid in Kong: Skull Island was literally just Samuel L. Jackson doing a Captain Ahab. The rest of it, for the most part, was fairly decent aside from Brie Larson being a cunt (I just rewatched it the other night, and it is amazing how cardboard and aloof she is in most of that movie too.) The "connective tissue" in Godzilla was just bad aside from Charles Dance. When the only character you really want to live is a nameless grunt or two, I feel like they fucked up somewhere.

I'm making it sound like I hated it, which I didn't, but it wasn't anywhere as good as I let myself hype up to. My theater clapped at the end though, so maybe it was just me. I'd give it a 6/10, because the fight scenes were definitely awesome. But if you took all the fights out of it and just watched the SHD, it would be like a 2. It was still much better than the last Godzilla though. I wish I had rewatched that one too, maybe this one would have looked even better in comparison.

Oh, one side note. Kong had better get a LOT fucking bigger and damage (and fire!) resistant if he's gonna compete with Godzilla. In Kong they did say that he's still growing, and it was 50 years ago movie time, so anything can happen, but Godzilla would have wrecked that Kong. Sure, Kong is probably a better fighter, and if he were savvy he might do stuff like go for the eyes (Boo!), but if he's going to be one of the "alphas" he needs to go through an intense Rocky-style training montage first AND learn to shrug off nuclear breath and shit. I feel like one random breath would ignite all that gorilla hair instantly, and even if all it did was piss Kong off, 3rd degree burns over his entire body can't help much. Godzilla and King Gidorah would have used 1970s Kong to wipe their ass. Who knows though, maybe they'll team up right from the start instead of fighting first. Ha, right, we all know they will fight first.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like