GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Ganthorn

N00b
I'm really hoping that the success of GOT shows the executives that you can do fantasy in a serious manner and not that campy bullshit like they did to Sword of Truth.
I was so excited for the Sword of Truth series, especially after I heard Raimi really liked the books but I spent the whole pilot seriously yelling at my TV.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Sword of Truth was awesome. Never read the books but the TV show had that Kahlan chick, Cara, and the dominatrix chicks. Good TV right there.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Robert Strong is basically a Flesh Golem/Frankenstein thingy. He's headless which matches one of the dreams which I can't remember right now that matches the description of the Mountain in plate with no face but total darkness under his visor.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The Maesters have magic, but with the dragons gone (or whatever) it really didn't work except for a few members and then only minor things. None the less, people like "Clyburn" delved so deeply that now that magic is back they can do some shit. Obviously so can Marwyn. But they're rigid like the Catholic Church so they need to keep it quiet, they're an order within an order. Qyburn, Marwyn, and likely others even refer to the other members of their order as Grey Sheep. The Maesters have a really important purpose for the end of this series, and only a few within know about it.

At least that's my 2cp

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Robert Strong is basically a Flesh Golem/Frankenstein thingy. He's headless which matches one of the dreams which I can't remember right now that matches the description of the Mountain in plate with no face but total darkness under his visor.
It's the one I was referring to:

Bran's Dream_sl said:
There were shadows all around them. One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armour made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.
The most obvious interpretation is Jaime and Sandor will both confront Robert Strong somehow. Not really sure what circumstances would bring the two of them together against him.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
It's the one I was referring to:

The most obvious interpretation is Jaime and Sandor will both confront Robert Strong somehow. Not really sure what circumstances would bring the two of them together against him.
The Cleganes sound clear, but is that certainly Jaime? Not sure who else it could be, but a pretty guy in golden armor is a bit more vague than "a dark hound".

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm really hoping that the success of GOT shows the executives that you can do fantasy in a serious manner and not that campy bullshit like they did to Sword of Truth. There is so much good material out there and I'm tired of it being butchered.
The problem is that fantasy has to be done right. No one wants to go see a low budget D&D movie, we all want LOTR. Who wants cheap looking CGI? Up until now, the studios probably saw the initial cash outlay as too high. But GoT is giving Sopranos a run for its money. My 70 year old parents eat up GoT more than most of the people in this thread do. It's kind of freaking me out. They heard me raving about it, they started watching the marathon on On Demand, and they are hooked. The show has made fantasy mainstream.

On another note, I'm still pretty butthurt at Martin over Ned and the Red Wedding.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I think GoT does well due to it being about the characters and politics more than fuck hueg dragons and giant armies. It is far more story driven, like a soap opera, which relies more on writing that special effects. It just needs a better location and costume budget.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It is a great success because Martin is a brilliant writer that can paint such amazing word pictures with his writing and prose. You care for characters, you love characters, and you really hate characters. Not a lot of stories can do that. I'm just glad this series started on tv now and not 10 years ago, the technology now can really show the story how it really should look.

Fedor

<Banned>
ypC6Adp.jpg

tumblr_mnttqyUfrf1qmit6wo3_500.gif

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
me and Clyburn go way back and he said that Qyburn was his stage name. Clybun is his birth name so neener neener !
tongue.png