Grim Dawn

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Am I okay with just the base game for now or should I buy the DLCs out the gate?

If you have no idea if you’re going to like it and concerned about money just do the base first. If you like ARPGs I’d say you’re safe buying the main two DLCs (Malmouth and Forgotten Gods) or the definitive edition or whatever it’s called. This is one of the best ones, and most similar of the current ARPGs to diablo 2.

Also if you are interested in being certain classes that are from the DLCs you have to get them. Necro, inquisitor, oathkeeper.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
On Sale at GOG for 80% off base game and 30% off DLCs (I think 30%, maybe was 40%). I grabbed the base game and monmouth and forgotten gods for $29 - didn't bother with crucible.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

agripa

Molten Core Raider

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The dangerous areas and Shadow realms that has aether everywhere is pure aids. Matter of fact any zone that has aether. Aether has to be the most single annoying feature in the game.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Everything about the game engine is terrible - sponge rubber melee, luminous goo spell effects, and god awful animations/physics. I backed the kick-starter, and really wish these guys had some concrete plans by now to move to a new engine. (maybe their next game?)

I know the history, but this poor tired old thing really needs to be taken out the back of the barn and shot.

• 1Seriously?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Everything about the game engine is terrible - sponge rubber melee, luminous goo spell effects, and god awful animations/physics. I backed the kick-starter, and really wish these guys had some concrete plans by now to move to a new engine. (maybe their next game?)

I know the history, but this poor tired old thing really needs to be taken out the back of the barn and shot.

I couldn’t disagree more. The engine is dated but it’s not terrible, still plays fine. The spell effects on some of them are way overly luminous, I turn the % down on them to tone it down. What do you mean by sponge rubber melee?

I do hope they put out a Grim Dawn 2 with a new engine though. Would love a more modern version of an already good game.

• 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
I do hope they put out a Grim Dawn 2 with a new engine though. Would love a more modern version of an already good game.

Agreed, I'm really keen to see what they do next. I've put a fair bit of time into the game, but I just can't enjoy it anymore due to the things I mentioned.

"Sponge rubber melee" is just my way of saying it feels totally disconnected from the object being hit, and akin to slapping the ground with a rubber bat, lol.
Anyway, to me it feels like shit. =)

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
The dangerous areas and Shadow realms that has aether everywhere is pure aids. Matter of fact any zone that has aether. Aether has to be the most single annoying feature in the game.

It’s so fucking annoying and uninteresting to deal with that shit. I was also a little disappointed that the game has a PoE level of screen clutter and ground degens. It’s a bit better here as it’s not going to just insta gib you so you’ve got time to realize you’re standing in a pool of whatever random element while everything else is bombarding the screen. Doesn’t help that some mobs chain shit that stuff out every time they die/you move.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So we've had plenty of links for starter builds and such, but does anyone have some end-game builds? I'm talking the highest end, requires a bunch/full specific legendaries, sets etc and just destroys the game?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So we've had plenty of links for starter builds and such, but does anyone have some end-game builds? I'm talking the highest end, requires a bunch/full specific legendaries, sets etc and just destroys the game?

Those would all be here in the official forums build compendium.

There are a ton, so basically if you want the best of the best you look at the tags that are on each build. (Cr+) and (sr+) generally means it’s a high end rape build. Ive done a few of them over the years but I’ve never fully completed the gear for any so while I have some badass characters I’ve never had one of these ridiculous ones I’ve seen videos of. I had a pet build that would obliterate screens in seconds but they started doing pet adjustments and I stopped playing it. No idea if it’s viable anymore.

Basically just scan through the list, looking at the tags then briefly read the description of how it does damage and if it would be a play style you’d be interested in. The gear dependent ones can take a ton of farming and crafting.

(c) is the crucible tag, it shows how the build performs in the Crucible.

(cr) - can complete wave 170 of the Crucible on Gladiator difficulty using a maximum of 3 buffs and a banner in less than 8 minutes

(cr+) - can complete wave 170 of the Crucible on Gladiator difficulty using a maximum of 3 buffs and a banner in less than 6 minutes

(sr) is the shattered realm tag, it shows how the build performs in the Shattered Realm.

(sr-) - can complete Shattered Realm up to Shard 50 on Ultimate difficulty (30 for Hardcore characters);

(sr) – can complete Shattered Realm up to Shard 65 on Ultimate difficulty;

(sr+) - can complete Shattered Realm up to Shard 75 on Ultimate difficulty.

(vid) - has videos of gameplay, most often as proofs of (c+) and (sr+) capability.

(hc) - hardcore character.

(L) - includes levelling guide.

• 2Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy

Where you can look at builds on youtube with someone playing at end game. The game is very challenging late on, gearing takes so long and some builds take a shitload of skill (and piano fingers) to play in this game at the highest levels.

You can't really gauge if a build will work for you unless you see it in action.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Where you can look at builds on youtube with someone playing at end game. The game is very challenging late on, gearing takes so long and some builds take a shitload of skill (and piano fingers) to play in this game at the highest levels.

You can't really gauge if a build will work for you unless you see it in action.
The piano fingers is the thing I always find turning me off from a build. Even when I build my own, it sounds great to have a bunch of different skills that work together, but in practice you find that you don't ever fucking use most of them when it really matters due to paying more attention to movement and potions and shit. That's why I tend to gravitate to builds that have a bunch of procs and always-on abilities, and only a few skills I need to activate myself. And that's not because I'm old! I was playing Diablo (OG) the exact same way.

• 1Solidarity

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The piano fingers is the thing I always find turning me off from a build. Even when I build my own, it sounds great to have a bunch of different skills that work together, but in practice you find that you don't ever fucking use most of them when it really matters due to paying more attention to movement and potions and shit. That's why I tend to gravitate to builds that have a bunch of procs and always-on abilities, and only a few skills I need to activate myself. And that's not because I'm old! I was playing Diablo (OG) the exact same way.

Same, I prefer simple a simple play style that lets my build do the talking. I think it stems from the fact that I played eq2 so I've got fucking ptsd about keys now.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I’m the same way. I bought a Naga Hex mouse just so I could use the thumb buttons because I hate piano finger gaming. So I do six buttons with my thumb, and I’ll do a few with the 7-0 keys if I have to. When I review end game builds I limit mine to ones that use 3-4 skills normally. One build I have I just ignored two of the skills you’re supposed to use cause I got tired of piano keying and just use what I could bind to my mouse.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity