Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That's like saying the first Spiderman is not an origin story because he figures out he has powers and wears a suit in the first half hour. Thisisthe origin story of the Guardians of the Galaxy. It's just stupid to complain about it because firstly, it's an origin none of us have likely seen before, and secondly because it was a really good movie.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No, the whole movie was an origin story. It was. It's just that it was an origin story for characters we've never seen on film before. I mean, would you consider the hobbit as bilbo's origin story? Not really. But that's exactly what it is.

The problem with origin stories is strictly for characters like batman and superman. These characters are so ingrained in pop culture that we all know the origin. There's a story in the origin, and its a good one, but we've all heard it a hundred times. GOTG has a new story so it doesn't feel like its "yaos"

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
No, the whole movie was an origin story. It was. It's just that it was an origin story for characters we've never seen on film before. I mean, would you consider the hobbit as bilbo's origin story? Not really. But that's exactly what it is.
The Hobbit is not nearly as arguable as an origin story. Bilbo existed before the events of the Hobbit took place. The Guardians of the Galaxy did not exist at the beginning of film. By the film's end and owing specifically to the events of the film, the titular Guardians of the Galaxy exist. That is as strong a definition of an origin story as you can have.

It's unfortunate it has a negative connotation because of people like Palum who will dismiss it out of hand for that reason, but that doesn't change what it is.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It's not an origin movie for individual characters, but it is an origin movie for how the guardians came together as a group. i think that's where the argument comes from, the origin of each character is about a 2-3 minutes dialog from each one, and from the officer when they are arrested.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Are you people calling The Avengers an origin story too? If so, you're wrong there too.
since every superhero in avengers already had one or more movies dedicated to them previous to Avengers then no you can not say avengers is an origin story. although i am sure they would have liked to give Hulk yet another origin if they could get away with it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not an origin movie for individual characters, but it is an origin movie for how the guardians came together as a group. i think that's where the argument comes from, the origin of each character is about a 2-3 minutes dialog from each one, and from the officer when they are arrested.
Is there another term for it? Like a...teaming upping story? Because yeah it's definitely about them getting together but even that wasn't dragged out.

As for them not being together until the end, they were pretty much together from the moment they got arrested. If anything the jailbreak was their origin as a team. From then on they were a team. Even when Drax got hammered and drunk dialed Ronan they all worked together and when Peter and Gamora got taken they came to save them after like 2 minutes of debate that consisted of "I am Groot".

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Even when Drax got hammered and drunk dialed Ronan they all worked together and when Peter and Gamora got taken they came to save them after like 2 minutes of debate that consisted of "I am Groot".
That was the moment they became a team. Peter risking his life and handing himself over to Yandu to save Gamora, Drak's come-to-Jesus moment, and Rocket setting his self-interest aside and putting his ringed tail on the line for relative strangers. They weren't The Guardians in name yet, but they were a team.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Avengers is an origin story. Its the origin of how they started working together.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
X-men: Days of Future Past is an origin story, it's the origin of the new rewritten universe.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yup.