Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just re-watched GotG 1 to prepare for Thursday. Can't wait. (I haven't read this thread in a while, and didn't read anything prior or after posting this. I just wanted to say it anyway.) This movie was pretty damn good in 3D. Little things like Groot's floating lights, and the Nova Corps trying to be a wall against Ronin's ship. It looked great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Mandarin should have been a homerun. I even felt they had the right actor and everything. I hope they find someone else and bring the Mandarin back in some way and completely eliminate everything 3 did but I don't think we'll see an IM solo film any time soon or at all.

They should start with a real Chinese guy for starters, having Ben Kingsly Fu man Chu that shit was the second biggest Asian insult. Of course the worst is Tilda Swinden as the Ancient One.

• 1Solidarity

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
They should start with a real Chinese guy for starters, having Ben Kingsly Fu man Chu that shit was the second biggest Asian insult. Of course the worst is Tilda Swinden as the Ancient One.

I agree. Just saying, Ben Kingsly could have made that work and he's a touted actor. Just thought that they missed an opportunity even with what they casted.

• 1Solidarity

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'll trade you an Asian Mandarin and Ancient One for white Heimdall and Valkyrie.

Yeah, I said it. "____-washing" goes both ways motherfuckers. So sick of that shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
1493732010546_large.jpg

• 1Like

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wasn't to bad, first was better imo. 5 post credit scenes for those who didn't know, and those were pretty good.

Drax was hilarious in this one.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this tonight, enjoyed it. Not really much else to say that other people haven't - music from vol 1 was better, story in vol 1 was a bit better, overall 1 is better but this is still pretty good and I loved the world building, humor, and characters/actors. Maybe a little too much baby groot but I don't really think so. If you liked GOTG1 you'll like this, if you didn't you won't like this one either. Time flew by, I usually have a tough time around the 90 min mark in movies (what can I say, twitch has ruined my attention span) but zero problems sitting through the entire movie here.

and yeah 5 total post credit scenes, worth watching em all so just wait until the final marvel logo

Ben Browder aka John Chrichton from Farscape makes a small cameo along with the other more recognizable ones, looks like a lot of setup for GOTG3

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, this was fun. Didn't feel like it really moved much of anything along, just a nice movie about the characters. Lots of little fan service here and there. Now I have to go look up all the cameos and inclusions I missed.

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Almost as good as the first one. Not really enough 'fighting' I thought. There's a lot more dialogue, but felt like Drax and Gamora were more or less not used in terms of action. Definitely some good jokes. When Starlord gets his gift at the end, I laughed really, really hard.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Good movie. An extension of the first. Drax absolutely was the stand out star though. Hands down.

Malkav

French Madman
I was dying at

Starlord : "You look like Mary Poppins"
Yondu : "Who's he? Is he cool?"
Starlord : "'Uh, yeah."
Yondu : "I'M MARY POPPINS YALL!"

• 5Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
The Mandarin should have been a homerun. I even felt they had the right actor and everything. I hope they find someone else and bring the Mandarin back in some way and completely eliminate everything 3 did but I don't think we'll see an IM solo film any time soon or at all.

What'ya talking about Ben Kingsley/Trevor Slattery still is the best thing yet in the MCU and probably the entirety of Superheroe movies of the past 20 years.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just got home from seeing this, and here's a quick non-spoiler review.

I've heard a few people mention that this movie isn't top tier. It was fucking great. I would say better than the 1st, but maybe it's because I had such a good time at the theater.

Every character had "holy shit, this is awesome!" type action moments. The exception being Groot, who danced. He's too small to have much action, though. They pulled it off in Ant Man, but in this movie, everything was large except him, so he was primarily there for comedic relief. The story was well done. The characters had incredible chemistry. I legit "felt" for them at various points throughout the film. The character, Ego, was very well done. His name matched his attitude, which helped. It also explained more of Star Lord's back story. Also very beneficial. As time passes, there may be some things that I'll likely stop remembering through rose colored glasses, but as of right now, I'm very happy and impressed. I have absolutely no complaints about this movie. Also, there's like 12 "after credits" scenes. All of them related to GotG, except the very last one. Still not a complaint. I loved the sound track, with the exception of the two songs that only played during the credits. And even that is because I didn't previously know either of them. The rest of the music was perfect for each scene. I'm very happy with this movie. It was long, but not even close to slow at any step. I remember the first one had 1-2 moments where I looked at my watch, realizing that it was long, but this didn't give me that feeling at all. As of now, the rest of this year has me looking forward to Spider-Man & Thor. Even the Inhumans IMAX release for September 1st. Then eventually Guardians 3. I wasn't expecting either of the a-list actors that showed up. They might have been spoiled in a trailer or imdb, but I haven't been keeping up since the very first trailer dropped a few months ago.

Lastly, the main boss battle sequences were reminiscent of Avengers 2 and the Ultron fights. This isn't a bad thing, but I think they really perfected the same fight style in this movie. A+, can't wait to see it again.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was dying at

Starlord : "You look like Mary Poppins"
Yondu : "Who's he? Is he cool?"
Starlord : "'Uh, yeah."
Yondu : "I'M MARY POPPINS YALL!"
I laughed hard at the training arrow and Drax screaming.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Saw it last night. Liked it a lot, as some others are saying the first one is still the better IMHO.

The first one was so memorable due to the fact that for 99% of the audience it was a total blank slate, and then was uber cool and awesome.

I laughed a lot, a hell of a lot, funniest thing for me:

Baby Groot with the chopped off toe. The other two having no idea how he could have got it.

• 2Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That's the thing about the first one. It set such a high bar for the characters and Gunn that a second outing can be discernibly lesser than and still end up being a good time at the movies.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Seeing all the "meh" reviews early on had me worried, but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I can agree that it isn't necessarily as good as Vol. 1, but as Royal and others said, that doesn't mean this one wasn't good. I never felt like the movie dragged or that it was going on too long. I loved it, loved the humor, loved the music, even loved the poignant moments the characters had. I'm probably older than most of you here, and you all are starting to sound like some "get off my lawn" motherfuckers!

Anyone that knows my posting history would know that I'm super fucking excited about one of the end credit scenes,
Adam Warlock
which was already talked about by Gunn in a roundabout way, but I'm still pissy that I'm going to have to wait until Vol. 3 to get my fix. Should have been part of Infinity War, but it is far too late to introduce a major character like that now unless the first movie is split between Thanos and him. Which I'm still holding out hope for! But deep in my heart I know it isn't happening, unless they've been doing a massive, massive coverup job.

I will piss and moan about that more in the future, I'm quite certain.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I took my dad to see this last night. Thought it was a really enjoyable movie. I'd put this just under gotg 1 and if I'm being honest that's mainly because of what gamma said. I didn't know anything going in to the first one. To echo others I thought batista as drax was the star of the movie. Also I really thought Russell killed it as ego. I need to look up all the cameos that where in there thought because I feel like I missed a bunch especially during the traveling scenes.

spronk

FPS noob
The cameos I noticed, and most of them I'd argue are sequel teasers

Sly Stallone as leader of the OG Guardians, currently leads the Ravagers? - sequel setup
Michelle Yeoh as one of the OG Guardians or Ravager
Ving Rhames (MI 1-2) as another OG Guardian or Ravager
Seth Green - Howard the Duck
David Hassellhoff - self explanatory
Jeff Goldblum - Grandmaster I think in the credits? dunno who that is tbh

apparently Miley Cyrus played the voice of the little AI robot box in the post credits

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The cameos I noticed, and most of them I'd argue are sequel teasers

Sly Stallone as leader of the OG Guardians, currently leads the Ravagers? - sequel setup
Michelle Yeoh as one of the OG Guardians or Ravager
Ving Rhames (MI 1-2) as another OG Guardian or Ravager
Seth Green - Howard the Duck
David Hassellhoff - self explanatory
Jeff Goldblum - Grandmaster I think in the credits? dunno who that is tbh

apparently Miley Cyrus played the voice of the little AI robot box in the post credits

The Watchers (Stan Lee cameo) - love that this is a nod to fan theories that Stan is a cosmic entity and it's the same character in every movie, lol! I wonder if this was part of their deal to get Ego, since these guys have to fall under FF too.
Rock guys fighting is related to Planet Hulk - when they were warping 700 times or whatever and becoming Scottie Young characters.
Adam Warlock in the post-credits scene

About Ego.

I wonder if the guy really is just a cosmic entity and not a Celestial. Might be a distinction without a difference in the MCU, but maybe he adopted that title as he seeded worlds and really became a combination of Celestial and Galactus (something did say Mantis was an orphan of her world, so either Galactus happened or perhaps Ego did.