Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea to be clear, I think it's still better than 95% of movies that come out. It just didn't quite have the perfect polish to it that the first one did. Like, the characters were almost caricatures of themselves after one movie - all the "development" was through exposition after exposition as opposed to the much more natural dialogue of the first. The interactions between Drax and Mantis, for example, were way more natural and entertaining than that between Gamora and Nebula (even if I want to see more Nebula).

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finally saw it. Not a bad movie, but not terribly good. I've re-watched the first many times (ok, tv on in the background while I do other stuff, but still) and it just has a fun factor that this one totally lacks. As someone here previously mentioned, neither of the bad guys ever felt like a real danger. Really, the second half of this felt like some mediocre, original Star Trek episode. At least Drax rocked, and as pretty much everyone here agrees, him and Mantis did well together.

Here's to hoping the next one finds its way a little better.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
It finally passed the first one at 800 million. That isn't bad by any means. In the end it cost 30 million more than the first one and will cover that. Scary thing is most metrics such as weekend drop, money to cost ratios and so forth are almost identical.
On paper it was deja vu.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mantis is great, for me, V2 Comic GoTG failed when Mantis was no longer a character and they just kept on adding more and more ragtag characters.

Once they add Cosmo to the 3rd movie, it'll be the GoTG i've missed since 08.

I really thought they were going to have another hidden Nova (the character not the stupid corps) moment or something, Ego was actually the new homeworld of the Nova Corps in the comics, but no nothing.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finally saw it. Not a bad movie, but not terribly good. I've re-watched the first many times (ok, tv on in the background while I do other stuff, but still) and it just has a fun factor that this one totally lacks. As someone here previously mentioned, neither of the bad guys ever felt like a real danger. Really, the second half of this felt like some mediocre, original Star Trek episode. At least Drax rocked, and as pretty much everyone here agrees, him and Mantis did well together.

Here's to hoping the next one finds its way a little better.

About how I felt about it - not a great movie, but not bad either. Thought the soundtrack was great in parts, and just so-so in others and the stuff with Ego just didn't resonate at all. Mantis was a highlight, as was the opening sequence.

Pretty meh about it overall though, sadly

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
This movie fucking blows.

This is the classic hollywood style over substance. Too many montage moments for no good reason. No changes in tension until the very end. Too many jokes. Comedic sci fi maybe?

Big fucking giant monster subdued by a tiny ant like creature who apparently makes people fall alseep. How fucking covenient. What a payoff.

I went into the movie theatre expecting some adventure but instead all I got was pretentious garbage.

Fuck you James Gunn.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You did see the first one, right? It was right on track with the attitude of part 1. If you didn't catch that, it's your fault, not Gunn's.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think it had very many jokes at all, especially compared to the first one.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You did see the first one, right? It was right on track with the attitude of part 1. If you didn't catch that, it's your fault, not Gunn's.

I highly disagree, but regardless, if you really think it is, then yes, it absolfuckinglutely is Gunn's fault as the DIRECTOR of the film, for not making me "catch that".

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I finally got around to seeing this. I enjoyed it, but I think the first one is better.

"Mantis, look out!" LOL

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Realize I'm a bit late to the party, but the first one was far better. Not a bad movie, but they definitely missed the mark imo. It's good to use comedy here and there to keep scenes from getting too serious, but here it seemed like they did the reverse. They added intermittent bits of serious stuff to keep things from being too silly.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally got around to watching this and it really did miss the mark. Besides baby groot being an annoying piece of marketing the tonal shifts were all over the fucking place, its like they wanted a serious story then someone else went through and added jokes and 80's references afterwards. All those from the first film felt more organic and this just felt forced. The Sovereign didn't need to be in this movie at all and just took up space that could have been used for character relationships and dump the zany Drax shit, his comedy should come from his literalness not the forced laughing shit they were making him do.

I actually would have enjoyed more Yondu/Rocket and Gamora/Nebula story, I think the series is at its best when it's just two characters not normally together playing off each other in situations. I do hope James Gunn's brother has more to do in the future, I grew to like that guy.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This movie fucking blows.

This is the classic hollywood style over substance. Too many montage moments for no good reason. No changes in tension until the very end. Too many jokes. Comedic sci fi maybe?

Big fucking giant monster subdued by a tiny ant like creature who apparently makes people fall alseep. How fucking covenient. What a payoff.

I went into the movie theatre expecting some adventure but instead all I got was pretentious garbage.

Fuck you James Gunn.
I feel so sorry for you.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just realized that video actually has the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in it. I didn't notice it until the girl in the yellow dress. "That looks like Zoe Saldana." Then I saw Bautista & the girl that played Nebula. Neat.

• 1Like