Hades (Supergiant Games)

spronk

FPS noob
Doesnt that ! just restore hp? Been a while I forget. Unless youre trying to talk to the dude to advance the rp, which that dude took me fucking forever

edit- oops didnt see the void thing. Still would rip the hammer everytime imo

double edit - and yeah you gotta beat zeus 10times for the "true ending" and the epilogue requires some rp and i think at least heat 8 or something

zeus? i haven't fought zeus yet, just hades. theres even more bosses????

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got going with this for real tonight at the suggestion of people on here. It's great. Always feels like I'm slowly leveling up / moving forward, unlike Returnal. I like dashing all around enemies and damaging them in the process. Just fun gameplay and the mythology is a trip. Underrated soundtrack as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Got going with this for real tonight at the suggestion of people on here. It's great. Always feels like I'm slowly leveling up / moving forward, unlike Returnal. I like dashing all around enemies and damaging them in the process. Just fun gameplay and the mythology is a trip. Underrated soundtrack as well.

Getting a feel for each gods gifts and their strengths is huge for progressing. Probably more than the modest upgrades you can buy

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Getting a feel for each gods gifts and their strengths is huge for progressing. Probably more than the modest upgrades you can buy

So far my favorite one is the life-leech gift that drops your HP by 60% while making your attacks lifetaps. My main issue is that I gradually get whittled down by foes, so when I have that, my survivability goes way up even with the lower HP.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So far my favorite one is the life-leech gift that drops your HP by 60% while making your attacks lifetaps. My main issue is that I gradually get whittled down by foes, so when I have that, my survivability goes way up even with the lower HP.

Yeah that one is great, but not from one of the gods. Things like zeus being best for things that hit frequently, slow hard hitting weapons working best with aphrodite/posiedon/Demeter, etc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20211111_230958.jpg

Beat the first major boss, 2 HP left at the end.

Yeah, this game is pretty thrilling, definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not too crazy about having to run back from the beginning every time I die. I've beaten the first major boss four times now just to get a crack at the second world. Reached the second major boss and got it to about 20% on the first try before I lost. Would be awesome to start right back there at the 2nd world, or at least not have to fight Megaera over and over.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Not too crazy about having to run back from the beginning every time I die. I've beaten the first major boss four times now just to get a crack at the second world. Reached the second major boss and got it to about 20% on the first try before I lost. Would be awesome to start right back there at the 2nd world, or at least not have to fight Megaera over and over.
New to roguelites?

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Are you using the Mirror of Night perks?
Are increasing the number of death defiances you have?
Are you still using Guan-Yu?

If you are struggling with Darkness and/or other currencies I would suggest focusing a tad on The Fated List of Minor Prophecies and remembering to hit those fishing nodes when they occur.

Hades is not an easy game and it's a game won by inches, but once you start to "git gud", when it starts to "click"...

GIF by FOX International Channels

I can understate enough how good I think this game is, easily one of (imo) best games ever made and especially of the last decade.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

The game really opens up when you get all the weapons unlocked. You'll find which weapon/style you like then. Then you find out each weapon has a different aspect and find a new style all over again.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah definitely one you win inch by inch, its not just Maegara you'll fight as the first main boss either :)

Your first perks you should invest in are going to be the revive-after-death one (up to 3x), that + focus on getting food buffs wherever you can will increase how far you can go significantly. When you can play without getting hit and you can tell what mobs do what attacks, you can skip getting as much food, till then an extra 25 hp >>>> most random one off deity mods

Early on before you have better skill/damage mods, or perks that focus on one specific deity (IE 20% more likely to get zeus + rare or better), a lot of things likely won't really blend together all that well so you are going to get absolute shit combo's. Nothing but defense/slow DoT's and the like. Similarly, you may have some runs where you get the perfect storm of damage mods and you'll rape face, for me personally I loved getting the huge 100+ damage DoT on special attacks + the swords major AoE circle attack at first. That shit will melt a ton of things and get really far.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That’s just roguelites man. Once you get more shit unlocked and figure out sticking with 1-2 gods boons the full runs only take 20 minutes so you’re in the beginning section like six minutes, it flies by. Things also start changing up a bit when you start unlocking the added difficulty perks (forget the actual name, heats?)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah first few hours i played hades (xbox) i struggled hard, everything was fucking me up and i thought i'd never finish the game

a solid 5-6 hours later i was clearing the entire game in under 22 mins, i think speed runners do the whole thing in like 10 mins. Its absolutely insane the difference when you unlock certain mirror stuff and weapons and figure out the min/max of boons in combo with weapons. It took me over 70 clears to 100% the game lol, but the great thing is you can stop anytime and pick up from the same spot unlike a lot of other rogue lites.

i'd highly recommend sticking with the shield while you first learn the game, you can hold down block forever and are invincible to damage from that side of the map (side you are blocking) which really lets you learn all the various mob and boss tactics. The shield sucks as a weapon since its damage is pretty lame, but its a great "let me turtle here and see whats up"

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
yeah first few hours i played hades (xbox) i struggled hard, everything was fucking me up and i thought i'd never finish the game

a solid 5-6 hours later i was clearing the entire game in under 22 mins, i think speed runners do the whole thing in like 10 mins. Its absolutely insane the difference when you unlock certain mirror stuff and weapons and figure out the min/max of boons in combo with weapons. It took me over 70 clears to 100% the game lol, but the great thing is you can stop anytime and pick up from the same spot unlike a lot of other rogue lites.

i'd highly recommend sticking with the shield while you first learn the game, you can hold down block forever and are invincible to damage from that side of the map (side you are blocking) which really lets you learn all the various mob and boss tactics. The shield sucks as a weapon since its damage is pretty lame, but its a great "let me turtle here and see whats up"

Caveat to the shield comment is the Beowulf aspect when you unlock it. That has some hilarious things you can do with cast, I had a setup where I had 3 (more if I bought temporary ones) cast charges, when I used them it AE'd frost, then when I Dragon Rush'd with the shield, it unleashed the three charges of Aphrodite weakness AEs. It absolutely wrecked shit. Also had the flurry cast boon so I could do this all extremely quickly, unleashing 6 AEs in like 1.5 seconds.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are you using the Mirror of Night perks?
Are increasing the number of death defiances you have?
Are you still using Guan-Yu?

If you are struggling with Darkness and/or other currencies I would suggest focusing a tad on The Fated List of Minor Prophecies and remembering to hit those fishing nodes when they occur.

Hades is not an easy game and it's a game won by inches, but once you start to "git gud", when it starts to "click"...

GIF by FOX International Channels

I can understate enough how good I think this game is, easily one of (imo) best games ever made and especially of the last decade.

Yeah, I've got most of the early Mirror of Night perks, only one Death Defiance so far. I was able to double my normal HP for the price of a second DD and elected to go with that (should be able to get said second DD shortly).

Guan-Yu? Is that the spear? /looks it up...wow, great ROTTK/DOAE/Dynasty Warriors/historical reference there.

Yeah I'm still using Guan-Yu. It's a lot of fun and I like the range on it. Gonna try the bow and shield soon. I read that the shield is really good.

There were a few times on night 1 where I wasn't progressing too quickly and I considered calling it a day with the game and moving on to the next one. However the same exact thing happened with Bloodborne. A couple days into that it "clicked" and now it's my favorite game of the 2010's. If I'd quit on it day one I never would have even gotten into the Souls series, which is a scary thought. I'll keep at Hades.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah definitely one you win inch by inch, its not just Maegara you'll fight as the first main boss either :)

Your first perks you should invest in are going to be the revive-after-death one (up to 3x), that + focus on getting food buffs wherever you can will increase how far you can go significantly. When you can play without getting hit and you can tell what mobs do what attacks, you can skip getting as much food, till then an extra 25 hp >>>> most random one off deity mods

Early on before you have better skill/damage mods, or perks that focus on one specific deity (IE 20% more likely to get zeus + rare or better), a lot of things likely won't really blend together all that well so you are going to get absolute shit combo's. Nothing but defense/slow DoT's and the like. Similarly, you may have some runs where you get the perfect storm of damage mods and you'll rape face, for me personally I loved getting the huge 100+ damage DoT on special attacks + the swords major AoE circle attack at first. That shit will melt a ton of things and get really far.

TBH I think I'm getting a lot of shitty combos. Haven't even seen the life-leech perk since yesterday's session (so not in a couple hours of play). I don't even remember what gives it.

The 100 damage Doom effect seems super-good and I usually fare the best with that. I keep getting stuck with iffy mods though.

Getting the shield next, that ought to help. I've already been playing this sort of like Souls, very defensively. Hit 2-3 times, dodge the F away.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
The spear is well known for being the worst weapon in the game. Every variation of it is bad. I think my first clear was with bow? But it was ugly. Start working with that bow and shield and youll start cruising through the game

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users