Half-Life: Alyx

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wouldn't movement with a little joystick akin to controllers be better than the warp?
For a lot of people, moving in-VR while you are not actually moving IRL quickly causes motion sickness. Warping from place to place negates that.

(and no, omni-treadmills like the ones in Ready Player One don't work - your inner ear still doesn't detect you moving)

Siliconemelons

I hate jumping - moving with an analogue stick is MUCH better for me in VR.... Like Trial of the Gods or whatever demo on my oculus.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
For a lot of people, moving in-VR while you are not actually moving IRL quickly causes motion sickness. Warping from place to place negates that.

(and no, omni-treadmills like the ones in Ready Player One don't work - your inner ear still doesn't detect you moving)

Jumping off high obstacles in games is what fucks me up. It's very disorienting.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds like a different voice actor for alyx, but they tried kinda hard to mimic her, giving me some kind of uncanny valley to my ears.

Cybsled

I can’t even recall what she sounded like because i last played that game 13 years ago lol

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Agreed. The elevation changes in VR is what is going to get you feeling queesy if anything.

Sort of like the time I decided to fire up Ace Combat VR, standing up... while drunk.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Skyrim VR, with the constant up's and down's of the paths in dark dungeons was a real challenge to the constitution of my stomach.

• 1Like

Hekotat

Email him now and have him release that shit early for Corona!

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guessing it just take a special type of person to want to play a FPS with current VR tech, lol. Watching a few streams atm and the gameplay (as a viewer) is just bad. Give me a normal HL Alyx please.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
definitely fun watching streams, but more in a "man this look awkward and kinda unfun". visuals are amazing though.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I played through the first area and it is pretty cool in VR. You get a real sense of scale that you can't get without VR.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
The decision to NOT put in typical analogue movement was a mistake. Really bummed that you either have to continually move or use the teleport system. Otherwise, this is awesome so far.

• 1Truth!

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have you tried "continual move" ? It is what I am using and it seems fine to me, try it out. Uses the thumbsticks.

• 1Like

Hekotat

I'm using continuous move and it works great, I'm really digging the gameplay and love the ambience etc. It's really wild feeling the scale of the city.