Ham vs Turkey

What do you prefer to eat for Christmas?

• Total voters

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Im too lazy to do this but now I'm curious... Someone make a thread with most popular holiday side dishes and make people choose their top 3. Mashed potatoes and squash casserole up there for me.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Twice baked mashed potatoes are the best holiday dish hands down.

Cook potatoes - mix butter, sour cream, cream cheese - salt, pepper, cayenne - put more butter on top - then bake it. Yum yum.

Also tamales and chili for Christmas, turkey/ham for Thanksgiving.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
prime-rib-7-1.jpg

• 4Quality Calories
  • 3Weird Boner
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
While we always have turkey for Thanksgiving, it was rare to have either for Christmas. Dad is a chef, so he would cook whatever he felt like that year. steak, seafood, Mexican or some classic French most of the time.

This year it's nothing because both he and my mom have bat flu and I'm just trying to keep them from ending up in the hospital again. Despite growing up working in restaurants with dad, I am a pretty lousy cook.
Yikes, hope they both turn out ok mate.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Two points...

First...
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Second , to the turkey haters.. I will also put my money on "Lrn2cook". If you can't brine and smoke/roast a turkey then Lrn2DeepFry.

Actually, a third point... Being in Texas, I'm thinking about trying to make brisket the Christmas meat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Literally takes less time to spatchcock and cook it that way then the old roast it whole...so I guess you lied and haven't done it that way. Also it isn't exclusive to turkey, it is the superior way to roast any bird.

No, I didn't lie. spatchcocking a turkey is more preparation than putting it in whole. That's pretty non arguable. It's not hard, and it doesn't take that long, but it takes longer than not doing it. Duh.

But a goose, man. Delicious. Slide some citrus under the skin, lift it off the bottom of your pan, let the fat drip down, and not only is the goose delicious, the fat you can save and use for fried potatoes to make them delicious, too.

Win win.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, I didn't lie. spatchcocking a turkey is more preparation than putting it in whole. That's pretty non arguable. It's not hard, and it doesn't take that long, but it takes longer than not doing it. Duh.

But a goose, man. Delicious. Slide some citrus under the skin, lift it off the bottom of your pan, let the fat drip down, and not only is the goose delicious, the fat you can save and use for fried potatoes to make them delicious, too.

Win win.
Oh man goose fat or duck fat potatoes for the win.

What do you all do on New Year's Day? We always do Prime Rib.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Oh man goose fat or duck fat potatoes for the win.

What do you all do on New Year's Day? We always do Prime Rib.

I like Prime Rib for New Years. But usually I do a Beef Wellington for New Years. Or we do fondue, depending on people's mood.

What other holiday food traditions do you guys have? We always do scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and capers on home made english muffins and a light hollandaise for Christmas breakfast.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
We are having ribeyes or porterhouses this year. Wife hates Turkey and a ham is to much for the two of us.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like Prime Rib for New Years. But usually I do a Beef Wellington for New Years. Or we do fondue, depending on people's mood.

What other holiday food traditions do you guys have? We always do scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and capers on home made english muffins and a light hollandaise for Christmas breakfast.
Christmas morning is usually eggs benedict on homemade biscuits with some homemade blintzez, ham or bacon and potatoes of some sort. If my mom is around(she usually is) she makes the best homemade biscuits and sausage gravy.

We do a huge BBQ thing for Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor day. It incorporates all sorts of random goodies depending on what fish is just in at the docks. It is a constant every year but not so much a set menu like what you were saying. The menu items that are always there would be deviled eggs, potato salad, smoked brisket and macaroni salad.

We do the same kind of ham meal for Easter as we do for Christmas minus the turkey.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
You are weak.

Ham sandwiches. Ham salad. Ham and eggs. Every meal for a week if you have to.

Also, this is the best preparation for ham:

My wife doesn't do left overs. Its annoying and last time I made her eat ham for a week. We tried that with turkey this last time and she ate one piece and left me with a whole small bird.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I mean no disrespect to you or your wife, but what the fuck is wrong with her? Left overs are amazing. I have them almost every day for lunch.
I don't know. She thinks it's because she grew up poor and they never had left overs. We have argued about it a few times.