Hawaii

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some friends want to plan a 3 family trip to Maui this year in May time frame. I keep telling them that Kauai is gonna be a better trip, but I'm sure that I can figure out how to have a good time on Maui. Should be interesting to try and plan, as I'm the married dude with 3 younger kids. By the time the trip happens it'll be 5, 3, and 1. The other 2 groups have no kids at all, and drink heavily where as I don't drink. Lol. I told them we'd have opposite schedules where my family would be up in the morning doing shit, and in bed pretty early while they'd be out all night, and sleep in all day.

Gotta nail down dates, and flights. I do know that we are heavily looking at Air BNB, instead of a resort. Looks to be just so much cheaper, and can get some incredible places.
Haha, oh how shit changes. Started pricing shit out, and the realization that traveling as a group of 5 is expensive as shit. Mainly the flights. On top of it all, we are trying to buy a house, which literally just happened today. (Under contract as of today). Guess things work out for a reason.

Jealous of all you that actually got to go!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just checked. If I leave for Maui tomorrow, it'll run me $160 per ticket. Ouch.

Congrats on going into Escrow, though. That's good shit.
Just keep in mind there's still ~20% chance that the deal will fall through. And I hope you picked up title insurance. Pay a little more (10%) and get a CLTA Homeowners Policy. It's great because it covers your house going up in value by 10% every year, for 5 years. So if you buy a $300,000 house, in 5 years, your title insurance will cover you for $450,000. Not a bad deal.

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Flying to hawaii tonight for 1 week with the wife and young son. Will just be in honolulu/waikiki. Any suggestions on fun things for little kids? Theme park like places?
Personally i want to see a pearl harbour museum, i assume there's something good there which ill Google up later.
Tips on fun day trips on oahu which are kid friendly would be appreciated.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
How old are your kids?
I'd say the Honolulu Zoo, Sea Life Park, Wet'n'Wild (only if they are 4 feet tall), Dole Plantation, Children's Discovery Center. I'm sure there's more, but that pops out in my head right away.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, everything except Wet'n'Wild then. I wouldn't waste my time with the Waikiki Aquarium. It's something that could pretty much be inside of someone's house. Not very spectacular at all. But you'll enjoy the zoo and sea life park. And dole plantation has a lot of fun stuff for kids, like a giant hedge maze and a train ride where they show off some of the things they grow. Also, some great dole pineapple ice cream.

As an adult, you'll find the discovery center very boring, but my daughter greatly enjoys it. She's been going since she was 4 years old.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
We had a good time during our visit. A highlight was the magic of polynesia show,
the whole family enjoyed it!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of going back in September/October. Maui is ideal but wouldnt mind going back to Kauai as I missed out on a lot there, mainly Kaulalu trail and more of Waimea.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
From what I've heard, everything past Hanalei is closed due to the flooding. So if that's why you're going, Maui might be it.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
From what I've heard, everything past Hanalei is closed due to the flooding. So if that's why you're going, Maui might be it.
Damn north shore got hammered. Looks like Maui it is if the time off is approved.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Going to Hawaii for an emergency medicine conference -- never been to Hawaii -- going to Oahu. Anything in the area/island that I should do?

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
So time off is approved. Any reason to not get a place on west Maui? What are some of the must sees and best best snorkeling spots on the island?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Going to Hawaii for an emergency medicine conference -- never been to Hawaii -- going to Oahu. Anything in the area/island that I should do?

Oahu is a tourist trap shit hole now. If you are in the state take a couple extra days, fly to the Big Island rent a car and go see the Volcano spewing lava into the ocean. It's a religious experience. Video does nothing to convey the majesty and power of Madame Pele.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
So made my reservations for September on Maui. Will be staying in Kihei for 8 nights.

What are the dos and don'ts for Maui? What are the must sees?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Love Kihei, love Maui. Road to Hana is great, Big/Little Beach is near you as well. Molokini is really great when there are large pelagics around, otherwise it's a skip (if you're into snorkeling). There is a little restaurant in Wailea called Monkeypod, which has (again, imo) the best mixed drinks in Maui. It's in kind of a weird spot, but is close to you. Tin Roof (by the airport) and Star Noodle (Lahaina) are excellent restaurants, and there are a number of really good spots around Kihei/Wailea. Paia is a great little spot down by the start of the road to Hana, great breakfast at Charleys.

I think you picked the best spot in Maui, and it's where I usually end up back to when I go someplace else in Hawaii (a few years back, went and stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua and had a great time but ended up preferring Kihei/Wailea/Makena area).

Any questions, just holler. Pretty jealous tbh, it's hot af here and we have a newborn, so Hawaii is on hold for a few more years.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Waihee Ridge Trail. Just amazing views on the hike. When you are leaving stop at zippys on he way to the airport and get a zip pack for the plane ride.

Monkey pod has a good happy hour from 3:30-5:30 and 9:30 to 11:30

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Love Kihei, love Maui. Road to Hana is great, Big/Little Beach is near you as well. Molokini is really great when there are large pelagics around, otherwise it's a skip (if you're into snorkeling).
So molokini is no better than any of the other snorkeling spots on Maui? Are any of the snorkel tours worth it? One i went on in Kauai was worth every penny, but that was also traveling up and down na pali.

What is the best snorkeling spot overall? Its my main reason for coming. Seems like turtle town area is the best bet? I'm am excellent swimmer so np making the short swim to the reef area.

Also what's the best helo tour? Would love to do one of those.
I think you picked the best spot in Maui, and it's where I usually end up back to when I go someplace else in Hawaii (a few years back, went and stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua and had a great time but ended up preferring Kihei/Wailea/Makena area).
Yeah i picked it over napili bay area since the room i booked was cheaper, just as well furnished and came with ac. That was the one thing that annoyed me on kauai, no ac so had to leave the windows open which brought in a ton of noise.

Waihee Ridge Trail. Just amazing views on the hike. When you are leaving stop at zippys on he way to the airport and get a zip pack for the plane ride.
Love hiking so will definitely be doing that. Any other good trails aside from that? Not just nature walks.