Hawaii

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Molokini can be the best snorkeling on Maui if there are a bunch of large fish around (during whale shark season, I've heard they run right past the crater for example). My wife and I did it last May and saw a few batfish which was cool, but I've heard that occasionally you'll get a bunch of manta's - would be worth calling ahead and seeing what has been around when you go. Turtle town is a guarantee to see green sea turtles, and it's really close to where you're staying so you should have no problems getting out to that point and seeing some big turtles. We took the Kai Kanani boat (leaves out of Wailea area so super convenient) and it hits turtle town at the end as well, drops you off right at the turtles.

Best snorkeling on Maui though, at least off the shore is probably Honolua Bay when the waves are mellow - it's a good hoof North of you, but worth the drive. If you get there and it's wavy, head down to Kaanapali beach/black rock and snorkel there. It can be really good - not quite the diversity of Honolua, but you can almost always see some cool stuff at black rock and it's closer than Honolua.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Welcome to Maui.
IMG_20180902_221912_01.jpg

Also that was in the parking lot of Safeway. degenerates couldn't even wait to get back to their shanty.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Glad to meet you Xarpolis Xarpolis -- thank you again for driving me and the hubby up to the north shore. I think I'm going to skip Hawaii in the future -- at least up north. I loved Waikiki, though. :]

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, it's a shame that your conference was at Turtle Bay. There's virtually NOTHING going on up there, except your hotel. And I guess the big waves next month... but aside from that, hard pass.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am going to be visiting Honolulu here in a couple of weeks and also have a fairly decent job offer with what would be good pay for my area in Florida but to my understanding Hawaii is expensive and suit, has high taxes, and full of liberal gayness.

How bad is the cost of living? I hear driving or parking I should say is a nightmare. Anyone with some experience with this place?

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
So looking to go back to Maui sometime in August. At a minimum its twice as much for similar accommodations compared to what I paid in summer 2018. God damn inflation.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So looking to go back to Maui sometime in August. At a minimum its twice as much for similar accommodations compared to what I paid in summer 2018. God damn inflation.
Do you like Maui or Kauai more? Looking at possibly going next summer. Interested in basically everything you did. Hiking, snorkling, helo tour, beaches, food/drinks.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
If they still have COVID rules in place don't bother. I went last year and it was a nightmare of retardation

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Do you like Maui or Kauai more? Looking at possibly going next summer. Interested in basically everything you did. Hiking, snorkling, helo tour, beaches, food/drinks.
Maui has better snorkeling and generally better and more beaches.

Kauai has the na pali coast and waimea canyon which make for far better boat/helo rides.

You really cant go wrong with either. If snorkeling is your top priority go with Maui if not flip a coin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd say hiking the nod goes to Kauai too. Although I haven't been to Maui. But Kauai was some of the best hiking I've ever done in my life, and I can't imagine Maui compares. We also did an open air helo ride which they don't do in the US anymore after those people died in New York I think (it was only about a year or two after we went), and that was fucking amazing.

As it was explained to me, Kauai is where you go for more nature shit, Maui if you want the more traditional "beach Hawaii" vacation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I'd say hiking the nod goes to Kauai too.
Yeah Kauai wins in that category as well. Tons of good trails up on Waimea along with the ability to hike along the na pali coast itself if youre up for it.

Maui isnt that bad for hiking though. The hakahwateveritsname is like being on Mars or something. + theres everything along the road to hana which i sadly never got to do.

One big thing to keep in mind is for things like hiking, its almost certainly going to be an all day affair unless youre staying right by where you will be hiking. Basically both Maui and Kauai are ringed by one main road, that doesnt completely circle the island in Kauai's case. If youre at the southern end of Kauai its like an hour+ drive to the north end.