Health Care Thread

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
My first account never went through, so finally I just made another one and it was able to log in. Now I've been stuck here for about a week.

rrr_img_46856.jpg

Nothing I do with the dental option will go through, so I skipped it and just went to the final part, which did nothing and is now locked. I'd probably be angry/surprised if I had never played a MMO. I'm wondering though if my whole application isn't so fucked up that I'd be better off waiting a month and just making a whole new account or, god forbid, getting someone on the phone to reset everything (if they even can - I bet not) Odds are that would just wind up with me getting double charged or who knows what nightmare. I knew better than to try but I wanted to know what benefits I would get and there's no going backwards now, you can't change anything on your application until you've finalized everything and the process for updating your finances after the fact seems to be "under construction" like some fucking geocities page.

Not shown in the pic is an angry looking banner to "resolve any issues with your application" that 404s.

Rolling out everything at once instead of in phases was obviously a hilarious mistake that will pointed at for generations as the model of all fuck-ups. Like FF14.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I wish I was black so I could vote 2 or 3 more times in this poll.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I was finally able to create an account on healthcare.gov. Hope and Change, yeah!

Edit: I got so excited I didn't bother to see if I could now login to my account...nope.

Molten Core Raider
I have been trying since the Second to sign up as well. Stuck at a screen telling me my application is incomplete, I complete it, it resets back. Contacted a live chat person the other day. The response was "it is broken, keep trying, it might work eventually". Every day I fill out the same questions and every day it does the same thing. Am I insane?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I am currently on COBRA after retiring from my last job. This means I pay 102% of the entire premium for the same coverage as my former.coworkers who have their own insurance covered by the company plus a modest copay each psycheck.

The joke here is that my former coworkers are paying ~$200 twice a month for their share of their coverage and I pay $491. The company is only actually paying a fifth of the total cost, yet they have used rising costs of healthcare as the justification for minimal or no cost of living or merit based raises and shrinking department budgets.

The total company cost for the group I managed was less than $50k a year and yet no one batted an eye at software licenses for $60k that we didn't need or plunking down $5k for a same day travel booking on a purposeless trip.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
How many people were in your group? Seems like $50k shouldn't be enough to pay for a single manager.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I received a letter from my current healthcare provider saying that my particular plan will be discontinued and I will eventually need to switch. I can either do nothing and keep my current plan for a year, re-enroll before the end of this year to extend until the end of 2014, or switch to an ACA compliant plan any time before then.

Currently I pay $231, and the closest ACA plans will be $218 Silver or $275 Gold for a little extra. Overall not that big of a deal, most details are simply the same or comparing 20% vs 30%

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thank god Medicare still runs for 18 months after I start working again (or is it even longer than that? I forget if I already factored in the "trial work period" thing with returning to work) - sounds like it'll be horrendous to sign up for a bit but should be hammered out by the time Medicare is falling off for me. (Or maybe they'll say "F it" by then and just allow people a permanent buy-in option for Medicare)

And Qhue - you're lucky to get those COBRA rates - mine were about twice that before they got wind of my health conditions that PEC'ed me and about four times it once they did. COBRA is such complete horseshit.

ezcw_sl

shitlord
My premium is going from 100/month to around 135, my max out of pocket is going up 1000. They say it's because of ACA, but who knows. But even if that's true I don't have to worry as much about insurance companies fucking over my less well-off parents/grandparents and dicking them over as hard as before and having to drop thousands or take them in because a medical emergency bankrupts them. It doesn't affect me enough to make me want to learn the bill top to bottom, but I figure if healthy people with a pretty sweet deal like myself have to pay a little extra to make up for the people that were getting hosed before, then it's probably worth it if for no other reason than just not having to worry as much about them.

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
I received a letter from my current healthcare provider saying that my particular plan will be discontinued and I will eventually need to switch. I can either do nothing and keep my current plan for a year, re-enroll before the end of this year to extend until the end of 2014, or switch to an ACA compliant plan any time before then.

Currently I pay $231, and the closest ACA plans will be $218 Silver or $275 Gold for a little extra. Overall not that big of a deal, most details are simply the same or comparing 20% vs 30%
I'd like to hear more about the deductibles and more precise details on coverage.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
None of the promises of the ACA have come true. The cost curve is still bending upwards and the same amount of people or more are uninsured. The hope that the young will sign up to cover the costs of the old is a pipe dream. It is cheaper and easier for them to pay the fine and just sign up when they get sick.

The ACA isn't fully implemented yet so there is still time for it to reverse course and avoid becoming a train wreck. But honestly, it would take divine intervention for the ACA to avoid that fate.. and liberals don't believe in divine intervention.

Vaclav

It's bending upwards slower - only a few idiots were saying it was going to reduce costs, many said it was going to reduce PROJECTED INCREASES OF COSTS - which it has done.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year." .... Barack Obama.

The cost of insurance has risen over $2000 ($2014 by some estimates). The true cost increases / decreases are still in the future though. It will take a few years after full implementation to be able to see how much the ACA is going to cost us, but the numbers already look bad.

Vaclav

Cost of insurance was estimated to rise by closer to $4000 during the 3 years that have already passed since it went into law - so $2000 is almost making his figure versus the rise that was projected.

But assuming he meant it more literally, yea he misspoke - however the numbers do work out with projections when you change it to "total medical costs" instead of the subsection of premiums alone according to economist David Cutler who was part of the think tank that brainstormed the figure. So odds are he said "premium" when he meant "total medical costs".

[And note, not discounting Obama as one of the idiots... although that misspeak is news to me:PolitiFact | The Obameter: Sign a health care billis interesting on the matter and contains a link to the quote in question as well within it which elaborates on the economist mentioned above]

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
Cost of insurance was estimated to rise by closer to $4000 during the 3 years that have already passed since it went into law - so $2000 is almost making his figure versus the rise that was projected.

But assuming he meant it more literally, yea he misspoke - however the numbers do work out with projections when you change it to "total medical costs" instead of the subsection of premiums alone according to economist David Cutler who was part of the think tank that brainstormed the figure. So odds are he said "premium" when he meant "total medical costs".

[And note, not discounting Obama as one of the idiots... although that misspeak is news to me:PolitiFact | The Obameter: Sign a health care billis interesting on the matter and contains a link to the quote in question as well within it which elaborates on the economist mentioned above]
I saw this reference and wanted to comment.

Websites like Politfact and FactCheck are misleading. I've seen both websites manipulate context in many ways and pass it off as true or false. It's scary to think that people reference these sites.

Vaclav

They actually agree with his taking of it and criticized the Pres for it - although did give the clarification his economist gave - taking their statements as carte blanche is as good as any editorial stuff, but they are good about giving you all the data to run with. (And note, they do tend to revisit things that people critique them on the methodology for - they're imperfect, but better than most - in a world where TheBlaze.com is considered valid news, it's at least something reasonable...)

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
My company charges us $0 premium (even with spouse/children) , $750 deductible, $3000 max out of pocket, 90/10 thereafter, 90% prescription paid with 100% paid once I hit $1000/yr (what I consider a Cadillac plan in this day-and-age sadly). They divulge what they pay for health-care every month to us, part of their transparency program. Their cost rose $35/month for each employee, which would've rose that much or more even without Obamacare. This is also a small company (roughly 500 employees),

If your company is charging more and increasing deductibles and the likes, they are screwing you and helping their bottom-line. Hell, my company has Bain Capital as a major investor of our company, that's sad how the blame isn't going to the ACA from upper management that is directly tied to a Republican-based parent company.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My first account never went through, so finally I just made another one and it was able to log in. Now I've been stuck here for about a week.

rrr_img_46856.jpg

Nothing I do with the dental option will go through, so I skipped it and just went to the final part, which did nothing and is now locked. I'd probably be angry/surprised if I had never played a MMO. I'm wondering though if my whole application isn't so fucked up that I'd be better off waiting a month and just making a whole new account or, god forbid, getting someone on the phone to reset everything (if they even can - I bet not) Odds are that would just wind up with me getting double charged or who knows what nightmare. I knew better than to try but I wanted to know what benefits I would get and there's no going backwards now, you can't change anything on your application until you've finalized everything and the process for updating your finances after the fact seems to be "under construction" like some fucking geocities page.

Not shown in the pic is an angry looking banner to "resolve any issues with your application" that 404s.

Rolling out everything at once instead of in phases was obviously a hilarious mistake that will pointed at for generations as the model of all fuck-ups. Like FF14.
You have to grind the dental preferences until lv 50 and then the review the coverage unlocks.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Got a good kick out of Obama announcing his 'IT Surge' to fix the website. Fucking A man, surges are political gold since W left office. I guess it's the new way to say "we're throwing more money at it"

Supposedly Sebellius said she had called the IT contractors and told them to send in the A-team, double down on their efforts and give 150%. Did any reporters ask yet how long the administration had been aware that the contractors had their B teams working on the website giving 75%?