Hearthstone

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I think I'm at the point where I'm going ftp or close to it. All the mtx drama is just reaffirming my decision. Been playing this game 4 years, spending about 250-300 a year. I'll still play but much more casual. I'm not a disgruntled player necessarily, but kinda.... no tournament mode or updated ladder system is really bothering me. I feel like game modes are very outdated and the money spent isn't going toward this area at all

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think I'm at the point where I'm going ftp or close to it. All the mtx drama is just reaffirming my decision. Been playing this game 4 years, spending about 250-300 a year. I'll still play but much more casual. I'm not a disgruntled player necessarily, but kinda.... no tournament mode or updated ladder system is really bothering me. I feel like game modes are very outdated and the money spent isn't going toward this area at all

In August they said the game was making $40 million a month. They have a team of 47 developers. We still see stuff like Bonemare, Kelesith, etc. They finally took DKs out of arena. What exactly are the 47 doing during development if they aren't testing? I spent about $130 by Gadgetzan. If I get every pack deal like I've done since Old Gods, I'll spend $150 this upcoming year. As you mention, the game isn't really evolving too much with just two ladders and arena. I'm also leery of spending so much more when this has just turned into a cash cow. I still enjoy playing but I'm also thinking of going much more casual. Maybe 1-2 solid decks an expansion instead of the usual almost every viable one. I can wait until the pros discover at least two broken decks per expansion and just focus on winning.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've spent a pretty good amount over the years and I'm considering not anymore as well. The ladder system just really annoys me. I just don't find much enjoyment anymore. The high roll legendary have really killed the game for me. I might not even get rank 5 this month unless is on accident doing quests

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've spent a pretty good amount over the years and I'm considering not anymore as well. The ladder system just really annoys me. I just don't find much enjoyment anymore. The high roll legendary have really killed the game for me. I might not even get rank 5 this month unless is on accident doing quests

yea, i didnt get rank 5 twice in past 3 months. The 1 time was mainly accidental doing quests and stuff.

• 1Like

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Yeah usually get the pre-order, but with the pricing changes, it's not even worth it for me anymore. I'll see how it goes this expansion just getting income with quests and arena.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It amazes me that after all this time, new play formats have not been introduced. It has become a cash grab similar to World of Warcraft. I would love to see a draft like format or a ladder format that had 15 second turns. I am looking forward to seeing how Magic the Arena turns out. If that game is descent it really could pull away some Hearthstone players. I know I would leave.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
I have not spent a dollar on this game since WoW gold could be converted to account balance, but the game balance is currently so broken and the RNG in packs so grindy, that I will not even spend fake currency that I get for playing another game on it.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rime

<Donor>
For Frozen Throne, I ended up buying something like 115 packs between WoW Gold and Hearthstone gold. I only got something like five legendaries. I still had to craft half of the epics, a few rares, and two of the uncommon cards. RNG is RNG, but that was just ridiculous in my opinion.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It feels like they're actively working against having a tournament system, with the heroic brawl being basically designed to make people hate the idea of one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
In August they said the game was making $40 million a month. They have a team of 47 developers. We still see stuff like Bonemare, Kelesith, etc. They finally took DKs out of arena. What exactly are the 47 doing during development if they aren't testing? I spent about $130 by Gadgetzan. If I get every pack deal like I've done since Old Gods, I'll spend $150 this upcoming year. As you mention, the game isn't really evolving too much with just two ladders and arena. I'm also leery of spending so much more when this has just turned into a cash cow. I still enjoy playing but I'm also thinking of going much more casual. Maybe 1-2 solid decks an expansion instead of the usual almost every viable one. I can wait until the pros discover at least two broken decks per expansion and just focus on winning.
Devs don't test, QA tests. I'm kinda joking but not really. I'm the head of QA at a small dev shop and it's a dichotomy I'm actively working against. I know typical programming practices don't apply to games 1:1, but I wouldn't be surprised if the people making the cards weren't the people(who's main job responsibility) testing them.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Devs don't test, QA tests. I'm kinda joking but not really. I'm the head of QA at a small dev shop and it's a dichotomy I'm actively working against. I know typical programming practices don't apply to games 1:1, but I wouldn't be surprised if the people making the cards weren't the people(who's main job responsibility) testing them.

I highly doubt they do. Bliz guaranteed has QA internally for Hearthstone but the burden is really placed on hearthstones actual designers who deeply understand the entire space they are working in.

A guy like Brian Kibler for example.

But in this case their designers seem to just make something they think is cool and see if it gets past the focus groups before they push it live. Fuck QA outside of pure technical QA.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I always pre order but not this time. Game is dull.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I highly doubt they do. Bliz guaranteed has QA internally for Hearthstone but the burden is really placed on hearthstones actual designers who deeply understand the entire space they are working in.

A guy like Brian Kibler for example.

But in this case their designers seem to just make something they think is cool and see if it gets past the focus groups before they push it live. Fuck QA outside of pure technical QA.
Kiblers videos on hearthstone balance are quite enjoyable and educational, shame he's just a streamer.

As a sort of tangent that might not be right for this thread, I'm of the mind that QAs job is to ensure product quality through whatever metrics and to make the devs job of testing as easy and accessible as possible. Essentially help the dev review their test results, not review the test results for them.

How does that apply to hearthstone and games in general? IDK, all I got is some sort of simulator. Which would fun as fuck to work on. But there's gotta be a way to apply baseline regression testing. And it seems like they aren't.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Kiblers videos on hearthstone balance are quite enjoyable and educational, shame he's just a streamer.

As a sort of tangent that might not be right for this thread, I'm of the mind that QAs job is to ensure product quality through whatever metrics and to make the devs job of testing as easy and accessible as possible. Essentially help the dev review their test results, not review the test results for them.

How does that apply to hearthstone and games in general? IDK, all I got is some sort of simulator. Which would fun as fuck to work on. But there's gotta be a way to apply baseline regression testing. And it seems like they aren't.

Kibler himself is a designer for some other TCG.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I'm sure you are right. They are busy designing the next set usually but their quality testers are either dropping the ball or just don't have the time and resources needed. I wonder how many they have testing these sets? I didn't mind broken or meta warping cards as much when the game was cheaper and the focus was on a FTP game. They've changed that philosophy without fixing the content much. Outside of some different cards, what new things have they given the player base? They don't even have the wealth of formats of a 30+ year old game. The game is set in neutral and I don't think that's acceptable with the income it brings in. I don't really want to help with them milking my udders.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is he still working on that game?

Dunno, my only point was that the dude has an excellent understanding of game design when it comes to TCGs and similar games. Blizzard needs more people like him on their team.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dunno, my only point was that the dude has an excellent understanding of game design when it comes to TCGs and similar games. Blizzard needs more people like him on their team.

But then they'd have to be accountable

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity