Hearthstone

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Mech warrior brings back memories of old Control Warrior. At least the deck I'm playing.
It does well in the current Aggro meta..
Obviously it'll lose hard to OTK decks, but I've yet to face a Priest... I did face a Rogue that pulled out 4x malygos, but now I've tech'd in Harrison for that scenario.

TONS of removals and only a few big threats to close the game. Only 4 cards are 7+ mana.

This is my current deck:
Mech Warrior

So Witchwood Piper is a flex card. I mainly just wanted more draw but also wanted a decent body. She'll draw my 1 mana mech for armor, or if they've already been drawn then she's going to pull acolytes for even more draw. Drawing through deck to get removals is pretty important. And if you've already drawn those then you're going to get your rush cards that can help with board control. So imo she's a decent fit.

Mecha'Thun is the final threat to finish a game, which I haven't pulled off yet, but also had a couple misplays where he could have won me the game. If you know there is no more silence, you can just play mecha'thun as last card and hope your opponent can't silence or transform... Or if you want to trigger yourself, you can be in Dr Boom mode and rush him into a minion with 10+ attack... or if you need to trigger yourself, you need 3 cards in hand and have 10+ armor... Boomship, Thun, Shield Slam... use Boomship to pull Thun and then Shield Slam him.

Scourgelord Garrosh can be awkward but really is a powerhouse vs aggro decks. It makes control matches so awkward though. Usually you want to end as Dr Boom but if you draw Boom 1st then to play Mecha'Thun means having to be Garrosh eventually. Just awkward. Being Garrosh doesn't make Thun unplayable, it just removes the "Rush" option.

Due to having Garrosh in deck, I can easily see putting Gromm in this deck as another finisher.
I wish I had a metagame where decks like this were viable. I dunno if It's when I play or bas luck but I'm sitting around rank 4-6 and It's literally nothing but one OTK combo deck after another. You can't even tech because they're all different. I played against 9 in a row today and all were different decks. In order, I played against Shudderwock, a OTK Mage based on the legendary reducing Antonidas to 1 cost, mechacthun Druid, mechacthun Warlock, a Rogue deck based on shuffling in infinite Pogo-Hoppers, boar Priest, Exodia OTK Mage based on Leyline Manipulator, control Paladin generating a OTK by bouncing horsemen to hand and resetting hero power, and Malygos Druid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
he won anyways lol
Control warlock plays 2 of them just because of all the combo decks, it has almost no other use except for transforming Leeroy's or Doomguards that you know they have as their last card as well. And some of the combo decks are so elaborate that it breaks it them very easily, especially with mechacthun where they literally have to have it in their hand until their deck is empty.

That first one seems like a stream snipe though. There is no reason you have to cast it that early since priest folds if any one of their combo pieces gets transformed and you want to wait until they've cast all their loot hoarders and whatnot.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I wish I had a metagame where decks like this were viable. I dunno if It's when I play or bas luck but I'm sitting around rank 4-6 and It's literally nothing but one OTK combo deck after another. You can't even tech because they're all different. I played against 9 in a row today and all were different decks. In order, I played against Shudderwock, a OTK Mage based on the legendary reducing Antonidas to 1 cost, mechacthun Druid, mechacthun Warlock, a Rogue deck based on shuffling in infinite Pogo-Hoppers, boar Priest, Exodia OTK Mage based on Leyline Manipulator, control Paladin generating a OTK by bouncing horsemen to hand and resetting hero power, and Malygos Druid.

To be fair, I've only been playing about 1 or 2 matches a day lol... I mean, I'm a Legend player that's decayed to rank 10 ... hit 9 after my 1 game I played yesterday. It's mostly just luck that I hit less OTKs. They are everywhere... I also have a built in OTK myself, but it's super slow... and I tech'd in a counter to at least 1 of the OTKs that exist right now.

Tons of OTK decks IS a meta where this deck could shine simply because you'd expect Aggro decks to be an even higher % of the other decks, but it's still just RNG.

• 1Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I was really hoping mech warrior could be a thing, or just in general midrange decks, but no way. It begs the question though: Is Cubelock the reason for this polarization between aggro and OTK? Cubelock is obviously neither, but i think it's strength caused people to either go one way or the other in order to compete.

I've not invested my dust yet - meaning i've not committed to crafting a deck yet. No clue what i'll do.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been fucking around with Tempo Mage to some success and retarded Deathrattle priest.

The double Gnomeferatu, double Demonic Project Warlock control deck seems to be the general response to OTKs.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty confident the OTK meta will be the final nail in the coffin for this game.

They really fucked up this expansion and only way to fix it will be nerfing like 10cards.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty confident the OTK meta will be the final nail in the coffin for this game.

They really fucked up this expansion and only way to fix it will be nerfing like 10cards.

The druid ones are disgusting. I've watched the priest one, and been the victim of a warlock one but played a few against druid. It's really hard to stop without tons of aggro. They draw the entire deck fast as hell. I hope a better game comes forward but Im still not feeling anything else I've seen yet.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The druid ones are disgusting. I've watched the priest one, and been the victim of a warlock one but played a few against druid. It's really hard to stop without tons of aggro. They draw the entire deck fast as hell. I hope a better game comes forward but Im still not feeling anything else I've seen yet.

OTK is fun for a day, and if it was 1 class the nerfs would be easier to pull off. But literally every single hero has an OTK option, mostly because of Mecha'Thun, but also Malygos, and Mage has it's own conditions.

OTK turns the game into solitaire. You just draw as fast as possible and put the pieces together first. Eventually the best decks will be whatever can OTK fastest while staying alive during the process. It's not interactive and not fun.

Erases any need to play "cool" shit, because none of it matters when you have an OTK win condition.

I gotta believe a few of these options would have been foreseeable, but some of it seems clearly intentional. Mecha'Thun was a dangerous card to print, and they did it. The mage legendaries go hand-in-hand to form an OTK. It's like they wanted this meta.

Just stupid stupid stupid.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
As a spectator and spectator only I've had a good time watching Dog and Kripp play with the new cards but for this first week at least it doesn't look to be a healthy meta at all. In too many games all the decisions one player made up during the early and middle parts are entirely negated when the other play just has their combo. The board frequently being irrelevant in a game where fighting for the board is such a large component is really strange to me. I think part of the problem is that the devs are underestimating how many cards a non-interactive Hearthstone combo kill can comprise and still be viable.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
OTK is fun for a day, and if it was 1 class the nerfs would be easier to pull off. But literally every single hero has an OTK option, mostly because of Mecha'Thun, but also Malygos, and Mage has it's own conditions.

OTK turns the game into solitaire. You just draw as fast as possible and put the pieces together first. Eventually the best decks will be whatever can OTK fastest while staying alive during the process. It's not interactive and not fun.

Erases any need to play "cool" shit, because none of it matters when you have an OTK win condition.

I gotta believe a few of these options would have been foreseeable, but some of it seems clearly intentional. Mecha'Thun was a dangerous card to print, and they did it. The mage legendaries go hand-in-hand to form an OTK. It's like they wanted this meta.

Just stupid stupid stupid.

Honestly, it's the best sign they consider their game shit...just like many of their customers.

In what intelligent design team, do you print a solitaire card like Shudder, promote it up, it becomes a top deck(but not completely dominant)...so you decide everyone should play solitaire.

Priest- two solitaire decks.
Shaman- two- Eureka is iffy tho
Druid- two
Mage- one
Warr- one possible but really hard
Lock- one

To combat this pile of shit they give one class FOUR possible answers and no one else jack. I wish Artifact looked better but still not sure about it.

• 1Like

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
OTK isn't even going to dominate, just enjoy two more years of nothing but Odd Paladin and Zoo beating everything.

The problem is you can't build a deck with a 100% winrate against aggro, but you absolutely can build a deck with a 0% winrate against OTK. So even if Zoo/Odd Paladin are absolutely everywhere, you STILL can't play a slow midrange deck or a control deck to counter them, because said deck will lose literally every single game against the OTK decks. There's pretty much no metagame where a 70% winrate against the best deck is worth it if you have a 0% winrate against a bunch of Tier 2 decks.

• 3Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
OTK isn't even going to dominate, just enjoy two more years of nothing but Odd Paladin and Zoo beating everything.

The problem is you can't build a deck with a 100% winrate against aggro, but you absolutely can build a deck with a 0% winrate against OTK. So even if Zoo/Odd Paladin are absolutely everywhere, you STILL can't play a slow midrange deck or a control deck to counter them, because said deck will lose literally every single game against the OTK decks. There's pretty much no metagame where a 70% winrate against the best deck is worth it if you have a 0% winrate against a bunch of Tier 2 decks.

Exactly this.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Having fun with this one:

HearthPwn - Hearthstone Deckbuilder - Priest

Also, I think magnetic was a mistake. For as much as they hate charge cards they allowed a feature that... creates charge cards nearly at will. Oh can't silence that 1/1 mecharoo? lol 9+ dmg charge next turn suck my dick.

It's not as guaranteed obviously but I don't find it to be much better when certain decks can just pump out mechs like Hunter.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Magnetic might push towards an extended break/quitting. They keep making it punishing to not remove things from the board.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You learn quickly that if it is mechanical, then it has to die. The exception is if you have outright removal or hex/sheep. I would then just wait and get a 2/1 or maybe even a 3/1 out of it. That does not work as well for Warrior at 7 gems if he has a certain magnetic in hand.

The Agro Warlock still does fine for me. It can lose against things like Control Paladin and Mage but it usually moves me in the right direction and does so at a descent pace.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sooo much mech hunter. That is a pretty AIDS deck since they have two awesome removal tools now that can quickly get out of control. The Spider Mine and Deathrattle trigger things and the magnetic poison bot thing.

Fuck that shit.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ok I am done with this shitpile for a good long while.

The disparity between draws and the staggering lack of any kind of comeback mechanic or card at all has just made the game into a giant, "I drew X card, you lose" situation. Far more than it has ever been previously. This makes even minion interactions just suck dick and isn't even remotely fun. This is across a wide spectrum of decks not just the OTK flavor right now. The non-OTK game revolves around snowballing the likes of which we have never seen before. At least since Undertaker Hunter. Except it applies to almost every class now.

Problem cards:
  • Luna's Pocket Galaxy.
  • Goblin Bombs + Poison Magnetic and Deathrattle trigger battlecry/ +1/+1 card. Spider Mine. Cybernetic Chip.
    • Goblin Bombs could be a fun deck but they have so many ways to control the board now and magnetic makes shit go totally out of control. turn 4 a 4/4 with poison and a deathrattle of kill a random enemy? What the fuck? That they can get free triggers of TWICE with a 2/2? AND BUFF IT UP MORE?
  • Magnetic in general. A 1/1 you can't kill on turn one just continues to get pumped up. Bu turn 3 its a 2/10 and turn 5 its a 7/15 in a game where they have avoided printing hard removal or silence.
  • Mecha'Thun - This is the big obvious one sure.

Normally I don't mind aggro but snowballing isn't fun to play against. It's just shitty to know you already lost on turn 3 and there is dogshit you can do about it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Normally I don't mind aggro but snowballing isn't fun to play against. It's just shitty to know you already lost on turn 3 and there is dogshit you can do about it.

Not much different than the Pirate meta in the past.
Again, the game has rarely changed. It's always had the same bs.
Quest Rogue completions by Turn 3 was another one that lasted forever.

Core problem is ranked ladder.. and even Arena.
More modes: tournament ladder, sealed deck, etc... is what the game needs..
Card design has reached its peak, they can't do anything new without changing something drastically (increasing deck size, # of allowed copies, hero health, offhand weapons or other "slots", etc).

It's already August and their Tournaments announcement made me believe they would be ready mid-summer. Longer they take to implement, the less chance I'll even play them. At this point it's maybe a 25% chance. I've been in "quest completion" mode for 2 expansions now. Once I don't care to do that then I'm basically out of this game.

• 1Like