Heroes of the Storm

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_46956.jpg
Ehhh, I don't really see that as the same. You could make LoL matches quicker just by speeding up the start

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
When it was called Blizzard DOTA, it was essentially just a SC2 mod, but if they ported it to the D3 engine and made it feel more visceral, I'd totally play this.
That would be really cool, from a combat-side. You feel a lot more like you are your character in an ARPG than in the MOBAs I've played (only the old WC3 mods; Valley of Dissent, Tides of Blood, DotA, etc... not sure if LoL and DotA 2 still feel that way, having not played).

They could also go with a map pool like in an FPS or RTS: Think CTF in Unreal Tournament, just add in the RPG elements and NPCs and slow down the action a bit to make it feel a bit more like a team strategy.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Popularity will shift to what the professional players are doing. I don't follow the LoL scene but I'm sure every major tournament is played on the standard MOBA layout map. I'm sure if Riot completely switched to make their "standard" map something with one central lane and huge jungles on the side and all the professionals played that then suddenly that would be the #1 map. Trying to say that Riot introduces some half-baked maps and just says "have at it" to the public isn't a fair metric for will it work or not for games inheritently competitive.
I don't think it's that simple anymore. The bigger something gets, the harder it is to steer the genre towards something new. Riot has stated already that they will never fundamentally change the map. They had some analogy about all basketball courts are the same size and shape, and their game will have them too. They are also very hesitant to offer up new games that will lead to the dilution of their product.

There really is no "suddenly" with this type of thing. Meta, tactics, champs, builds can change suddenly based on pro play. But map change? That's a bit more systemic. There's a lot of money in League of Legends pro play and that type of thing doesn't change on a dime.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Its 100% based on what pros play. EM is a perfect example. Lots of people who got into dota started playing em because it was easier, quicker and more fun (newb logic). As players got better they switched to normal because it's what the pros play.

If riot offered only tournaments on a new different map, everyone would switch to it in at month, tops. That's assuming that they can silence complaints from the players.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well in that fantasy of an example, if Riot change the map in tournaments, everyone would want to play. They're not that stupid though.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Riot did exactly what Blizzard would've done if they had seen the opportunities in the game mode early enough. Blizzard's usual move has already been used by someone else and worked like a charm, Blizzard trying to use it a second time is probably going to work just as well as the games that tried to outdo Blizzard's WoW with a later copy. I.e. not nearly as well as expected. However it'll sell on the blizzard name as usual... it just wont go to 10x times the popularity of LoL itself like they achieved with WoW over EQ.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Kotick got a sniff of the MOBA PvP for WoW and burnt half the staff at the stake for not monetizing it enough. They came up with this instead.
If anything, people should have got burnt at the stake for not taking over the original DotA in the WC3 days (or even Aeon of Strife from SC). Blizzard had this shitin their handsand ignored it.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
If anything, people should have got burnt at the stake for not taking over the original DotA in the WC3 days (or even Aeon of Strife from SC). Blizzard had this shitin their handsand ignored it.
I remember some ex-Blizzard AMA on reddit, where the person basically said that the designers never took dota seriously, because it wasn't made by professionals and was "just" a map. I'm surprised that story didn't get more traction, because it tells you that good game design can come from anywhere if you are committed to polishing it enough.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
People in this thread suggesting that this game will be based on the Diablo 3 engine are fucking idiots. You realize they've been making this within StarCraft 2 for years and the lead developers are all pretty much straight from the StarCraft 2 team right?

Neph_sl

shitlord
People in this thread suggesting that this game will be based on the Diablo 3 engine are fucking idiots. You realize they've been making this within StarCraft 2 for years and the lead developers are all pretty much straight from the StarCraft 2 team right?
Of course I realize that Heroes is still probably using the SC2 engine. But since the trailer, we haven't gotten any new info. So let the wish lists commence, IMO.

I understand that people hate D3, but you can't hate on the feel of combat in that engine.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Funny how most of the rest of them quietly disappeared when the game turned out to be fun, though. Way to have strength in your convictions, chaps!
biggrin.png
I never posted in that thread again because I had no reason to follow it. Simple as that.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Pretty sure you're the idiot who has no idea how a game is made at a large company. If it is in the SC2 or D3 engine is irrelevant but your reasons for why it simply has to be SC2's engine are absurd.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure you're the idiot who has no idea how a game is made at a large company. If it is in the SC2 or D3 engine is irrelevant but your reasons for why it simply has to be SC2's engine are absurd.
How far apart are the engines anyway ? Both are inhouse, share the same perspective on the world and similar amount of moving stuff on screen. I have no clue how programming works but I would be surprised if they didn't have at least something in common. SC2 is great for prototyping stuff, but the map system seems a bit clumsy for full blown release. D3 was obviously made with consoles in mind, but it still took them a year to make the console port.

And neither supports LAN :p