Heroes of the Storm

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
It looks like the trailer is showing 3 or 4 different maps which is a good sign. Riot has flat out stated that they will only ever have that one map (for competitive play at least) and all of LoL's balance decisions are based on it, so this is a good way for Blizzard to differentiate itself. They say anything at blizzcon about when it goes into beta?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I saw a Pudge hook.... again... Is it a requirement that the hero is copied over into every single moba? LOL.
It is one of the iconic dota heroes so yeah it makes sense. Also I believe that's the Butcher from Diablo? In D3 they gave him a hook so makes sense they're using it here too.

We'll see what they do with the game, it seems they went multiple maps with variations(in one map kerrigan jumps down a mine and I guess you can move "under" the map from there, shit like that) and I assume fast paced/easy to play so it could be fun, even though I highly doubt this will be competitive in any way, but won't prevent Blizzard from trying to promote it though. Will be sad to see Blizzard and Riot trying to buy exclusive rights to their game at various events.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Blizzard has a pretty shitty record with any kind of e-sports promotion thus far, any SC2 fans can tell you that. Curious to see if they will actually do anything better in that regard with this thing.

Game-wise, it'll instantly hit millions of players because it's likely to be free and it's a blizzard title, regardless of whether it actually offers anything better or even different from lol/dota.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Blizzard has a pretty shitty record with any kind of e-sports promotion thus far, any SC2 fans can tell you that. Curious to see if they will actually do anything better in that regard with this thing.

Game-wise, it'll instantly hit millions of players because it's likely to be free and it's a blizzard title, regardless of whether it actually offers anything better or even different from lol/dota.
I can see myself leaving LoL for this just because I am more familiar with all the Heroes, plus the Blizzard polish is always nice.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm undoubtedly going to play the shit out of it as soon as I can get in, for how long has yet to be seen though.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Can always count on Blizzard for solid animations/sound effects, I'll definitely try the game. I think the payment model they choose (LoL vs Dota2) will determine whether it's worth playing longterm.

Also, did they specify the number of launch characters they're planning?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
They just said the "Classic" MOBA Map is not what their game is about. Their maps are objective based with these Golems and Tributes.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing MOBAs since the start of WC3 DoTA and I've played them ALL. I also pretty much despised them all except HoN for a while and stuck with DoTA to DoTA2. I honestly might like this, though. For some weird reason. Wait and see.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Heroes of the Storm Info and ImpressionsTL post summarizing some of the game
Lifted from the article

The general game mechanics are vastly different than similar games in a few ways.

There are no items, there is no shop. You differentiate your hero by choosing feat-like abilities every so often (levels 1, 4, 7, with 10 being an activated ultimate and 20 being a different ultimate - I forget when in between those). It's things like +20 attack damage or 10% attack speed, with some of them also having cooldown reduction properties or adding to your q-w-e abilities. Each of these are dependent on your hero, there are some that many heroes have but also unique abilities (Diablo can choose to get a built-in Radiance at some level).

You get 3 of your skills (plus a passive) at level 1 with the scaling of them depending on what you choose from leveling, and gain your last at level 10.

Experience is shared throughout the team, no matter where you are on the map. You do not get extra experience, or any currency, from last hitting. You get experience while you are dead. Your team will always all be the same level.

Hitting B will bring you to the fountain as with League. You also have a mount that you can use when you are out of combat that gives +20% move speed to run around the map. There are no TP scrolls.

There are certain jungle creeps you can kill, and they will summon mercenaries that will march forward towards enemy towers. They are not controllable and seemed strong.

Towers have a limited number of bullets, something like 16-20 and they can run out of ammo. They restock over time but an extended siege can run them dry.

At the end there is a "Features" screen which lists "unlock heroes and skins" which leaves me to believe this will be similar to LoL in how to get new heroes, rather than having only cosmetics as unlockables like Dota.

The alpha build has 2-3 different skins for each hero as well as each mount (screenshots of some below).

I played 6 different heroes and they all had gap closers so I think this is a common trait. Also one of the supports has a teleport that can go to anywhere visible on the map.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah so what I expected, they're simplifying the game even more to do something more action oriented that you can play quickly and easily, and not trying to make a direct competition with LoL/Dota. Could be fun but I see it mostly getting boring quickly, a bit like how Hearthstone is pretty fun to play but the lack of depth kinda kills my interest very quickly, some people like it though obviously.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Sounds like a massive user base at launch with like a 10% retention rate over the next few months.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Sounds like a massive user base at launch with like a 10% retention rate over the next few months.
I disagree. For every person that plays LoL for its complexity, probably at least 2 or 3 get turned off by it. Being able to play Thrall vs Kerrigan is going to be a license to print money.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I am confused on why you would want them to play what you say is the more "deep" moba first. If anything League would be the better place to start so you don't get instantly burnt out on the stomping you can take in Dota/HoN. Either way I think this will be fun to mess around with but probably not play for an extended period of time. I have a feeling that as per the usual blizzard they will have a really long time between champ releases/content patches.

So what will that make HoTS?
Call of Battlefield

also looks like each Hero will come with a standard and alternate skin, eg Nova and her Rollergirl alter ego

nova.jpg
nova_roller.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's kinda obvious they're gonna do skins, it'll probably be F2P with Riot's monetization, which means lots of skins, and pay or play a bunch to unlock heroes. I fucking hate when they do that but eh.

Column_sl

shitlord
To the people that play these tower defense games, how is the actual structure they are using?

From the videos does it look like something that would be a long term competitive game? or is the design already bad from the start?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
To the people that play these tower defense games, how is the actual structure they are using?

From the videos does it look like something that would be a long term competitive game? or is the design already bad from the start?
Tower defense is another type of game entirely, even though technically you defend towers in these too. Competitive I don't know, you play Hearthstone, it's basically the same, Hearthstone vs MTG is similar to this vs LoL/Dota, at least from the way they described it, so yeah...